Ariel Kullock Pen - Beautiful, But .....

Alexcat

I wasnt sure where to post this, so hope it's ok here.

Treated myself to this beautiful pen. After quite some time, it arrived today(after the last date in the listing)

I did not expect it to be full of ink....which had leaked out, into the cap, and left a rust mark round the body of the pen, where the cap touches it: also, rust marks on the end of the filler mechanism.

In the pictures on the listing, these marks were not shown - I held the pen against the picture, and there was a tiny mark in one of them, but nothing like the amount that there is, and no mention of it in the listing.

Considering the cost of it, Im really unhappy about this. It's an absolutely beautiful pen, but I want to use it.

I certainly did not expect it to be in this condition...and it was listed as working/useable, with no mention of these marks.

It's beautiful I love it, I want to keep it, and Im hoping that the marks are basically 'cosmetic', and that I'll be able to clean them off( tried with a damp piece of kitchen roll, but no luck with that)

I don't want to return it; but I *do* feel that it should not be in this condition.

I've contacted the seller(yet to hear from him) and also eBay. Really don't know what, if anything I can do.

This is the description in the listing:

"Here is for sale a beautiful and RARE PARKER 51 FOUNTAIN PEN CUSTOM BY ARIEL KULLOCK

100% GOOD WORKING CONDITION, NO DINGS OR DEFECTS ON THIS PEN

ORIGINAL PARKER 51 CUSTOMIZED BY ARIEL IN ARGENTINA

THOSE PENS HAVE A LOT RELIEF ON CAP AND BODY WHICH MAKE THEM VERY NICE AND DESIRABLE

THIS IS A MIX OF THE 2 TECHNIQUE CALLED " AQUA FORTE " ( ETCHING ) AND THE ADDITION OF PIECE OF BRASS OR SILVER ON TOP OF ENGRAVING

THE THEME IS FOR ONE PEN THE WALL OF LAMENTATIONS WITH RABBIS PRAYING WITH DAVID STARS ON BODY

AND FOR THE SECOND A RABBI BLOWING IN THE HORN AND FRUITS AND KITCHEN ITEMS AND DAVID STARS ON BODY

THE FILLING SYSTEM IS AEROMETRIC CLASSIC PARKER 51 , NIBS HAVE FINE POINT"

Am so disappointed....:(

Alexpost-110936-0-16048600-1419946363.jpg

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• pen2paper

• OcalaFlGuy

• Cordovian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you buy if from Kullock or second hand from someone else?

Secondhand, eBay.

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

Your only options are to ask for a discount, return it for full refund or restore it.

I think asking for a discount is the way to go, if possible; and then get it cleaned up ....see if I can do t myself, and if not, send it to My Pen Man. That said, Ive had an occasion when by give me a full refund, pls I could keep the item, as it was not as described - as in this case - , so you never know. Im just annoyed at myself for trusting someone, and then finding that it wasnt the way it should have been. The way the photographs on the listing were angled, none of the dodgy bits showed, which makes me think that the seller knew, but was trying to hide it.

The way the photographs on the listing were angled, none of the dodgy bits showed, which makes me think that the seller knew, but was trying to hide it.

This is rather dumb for a seller to hide "defects."

Because they will have to eat the shipping on a return/refund, and they will get bad feedback.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Some pics of these rust spots would help.

The rust is likely not That Bad with this short of time passage.

It should easily polish off the filler with some 00-000 steel wool.

Perhaps on the rest of the pen too but probably not with the steel wool.

I would investigate that before returning the pen. It's a pretty neat looking one.

I'm not thinking it's as bad as it appears to you right now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Some pics of these rust spots would help.

The rust is likely not That Bad with this short of time passage.

It should easily polish off the filler with some 00-000 steel wool.

Perhaps on the rest of the pen too but probably not with the steel wool.

I would investigate that before returning the pen. It's a pretty neat looking one.

I'm not thinking it's as bad as it appears to you right now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce,

Thank you....pics follow: I have heard nothing from the seller, and really don't want the hassle of returning it, as it's - I hope - a cosmetic issue: however, I do think the seller should be ashamed of himself; then again, Im too naive. That, I know.

Suggestions on how to clean it off? Wire wool? Any UK resources, which I can do myself, rather than having to send it away? It's beautiful, I treated myself, waited ages, and that, I think, made the disappointment so huge....I suspect you are correct in saying it isn't as bad as it seems to me - just felt like a huge let down...

The first picture below shows the rust marks on the end of the filling mechanism, and the mark round the barrel, where it was against the lid when screwed on.

It really is beautiful....

Alex

.post-110936-0-57186200-1419999441_thumb.jpgpost-110936-0-45150700-1419999458_thumb.jpgpost-110936-0-82803100-1419999502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alexcat

You could also try a Magic Eraser pad if you have some laying around. Use a light machine or gun oil instead of water to dampen it.

Now that is a 51 I can get behind - not boring at all!

I bet Simichrome would make this thing gleam! Just looks like a touch of rust on the filler and maybe some tarnish on the silver? Simichrome and a cotton cloth.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

-Fred Allen 1894-1956

The pen itself is extremely beautiful. If it was me, I wouldn't bother with eBay because it's not worth it. Even if they did let you return it, then you wouldn't have a pen anymore, would you? I second what others have said and get it restored.

Good luck :)

-G.

Thanks to all....I wasted last two hours ( I know, stupid) on hold trying to get someone to speak to on eBay....and this seller does 'no refunds'; plus, I want o keep it - but was so annoyed at the condition, which sent that bad, but ......anyway, I would like to try to cean t up myself, if possible....nt sure what a magic eraser or Simichrome are? Also I remember reading that toothpaste can clean jewellery, so ondere if that might work.

Thanks again, and wishing a happy Hogmanay, and a healthy, peaceful 2015 to all

Alex

Update....just got a Magic Eraser, on Amazon(my lovely husband, who beamed up to heaven in May this year, used to call me the Amazon Queen, because I get so many things from them....agoraphobia means I get most of my needs online)

I looked up Simichrome too, and saw something called Autosol: is that the same?

Hey Alexcat, I usually buy simichrome (and most of my repair bits) from www.vintagepensacsandparts.com

I don't know who runs it but they have a great reputation and are lovely to deal with.

Edit: I highlight this website because they are UK based like yourself. I am in Ireland and have found their service fantastic.

Edited by strictlyobiter

+1 on the magic eraser! Those things realy are magic and are great at removing corrosion or staining!

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

the subtle voice of caution chiming in.. there are restoration experts who visit FPN (not me) who may be familiar with the metals, materials, techniques utilized by Kullock, and how to restore these materials, or around them without further damage.

When the magic eraser arrives it will appear to be smooth, by far finer than any grade abrasive sand or metal coated paper you've ever seen. You need to ask yourself, what harm could this soft smooth, but abrasive pad possibly do?

Age patina can only be restored by time. Surface treatments, or tints may be difficult, or impossible to replicate, so extra caution to avoid those areas, possibly masking the decorative area?

As for the seller situation, were it me I would detail to the seller that it appears that in shipping to you, ink was inadvertently left inside, which caused a corrosion issue, with detailed photos to show this, and a partial refund to pay for required repair/restoration would be acceptable, and their responsive action would result in a glowing positive feedback. You get your pen as expected, they get a positive feedback, all is good.

Edited by pen2paper

Pen2paper,

Thank you or the words of caution...the last thing I want to do is make it worse! The biggest patch is on the end of the inner filling part - Im thinking t would be ok to use the eraser there? The mark on the barrel is less severe, and I wonder if the cloth that came with my yardoled might gently polish it off.

Thanks again

Alex

I've not held a Kullock to know its materials, and construction. If this were a rusty, or corroded brass/steel button, a simple graphite pencil lead run back and forth with the grain of metal would remove the surface rust, verdigris, but a dark spot might remain, and metal finish such as satin might be compromised to either dark dull, or shiny. Silver, and especially silver plate requires additional care. Silver plate can be poof, gone in an instant. That's why I would ask someone with success removing corrosion on Kullock.

Isn't the YardOLed cloth to remove silver tarnish? Again, not your expert, but surface rust on a non-decorative interior area should be removed with the correct product on that area only, and then monitored for for future issues. Possibly sealed? to prevent future rust if action doesn't alter the character of the piece in any way.

The machine oil suggestion above, or simichrome are both possibilities. But anytime a chemical is introduced, the end result as well as any possible initiated future reaction should be considered.

an Expert could explain this in one sentence ; )

Edited by pen2paper

It really is a thing of quite extraordinary beauty....and the worst part of rust is on the (unseen) inside, which is made of the same material as any 51, I think: definitely the original, as it's got Argentina written on it, there, beside the press bar. None of this is visible during use, so I don't mind if it changes the appearance, and the mark on the outside barrel is basically jst where the lid has been against it, and I think just a very gentle rub with the yardoled cloth should take care of that.

Alex