Informal Review - Speedball Auto Level Filler - Nib Pen

amberleadavis

Wow! This is a pretty cool pen! I'd love to have one myself now.. :)

The mechanism is pretty interesting and I love the nib as well. Great review!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ThegreatandpowerfullR

• Sinistral1

• Sammyo

If you look, you can find them as cheap as $10. You may need to re-sac it, but it is super fun.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Are there flexible nibs that fit it?

I have been using this with a simple C6 Speedball nib and been getting some decent flex, especially if you push it... example of general flexy writing with that setup (please note, I am not a flex pen user, and this was just to get the colour saturation and comparison for a review example):

post-116271-0-99966600-1425774306.jpg

Edited by Sammyo

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

I don't know... all the speedball nibs seem flexy to me. I really like the C nibs.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Kaweco al sport raw little beat up but this pen lives with me onboard in the engine room it's a tank

post-121552-0-10919500-1428405123_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting pen. When I used Speedball nibs, I only had a wooden stick pen and had to dip. Actually, I loved those days. Hmmmmmm - I wonder if I have any of those nibs hidden away… I'm off to check.

It is really a fun pen.

• 6 years later...
On 2/25/2015 at 10:47 AM, Sinistral1 said:

I have not tried the other nibs in the pen - got a little side tracked. However, I agree that any same sized nib that has a top reservoir and fits in a standard nib holder should work. Most good art supply stores should have a large selection of Speedball nibs, including some for lefties.

Hey, did you ever find out the results?

Photos uploaded to the FPN server

I'm not sure what I was working on - flex nibs, maybe?  I haven't used dip pens in forever, not since I discovered flex nibbed fountain pens.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

That's how it goes!

• 7 months later...

Speedball pen's nib holder with the nib removed.

large.IMG_20221125_095243.jpg.afe05d6d0d64dc73cbb9948b080a807d.jpg

Pen with the nib added, with the button to press on top.

large.IMG_20221125_095126.jpg.20f57b83829472de7dfc764cf5e4c175.jpg

Speedball Auto-Feed pen holder packaging.

large.IMG_20221125_095049.jpg.925230680becfca0cfb8eb21e98685d0.jpg

Pen opened up

large.IMG_20221125_095159.jpg.62f581d07a00fb5746e862ab2e7a1b50.jpg

Mechanism of the button press. this presses on the sac when button is pressed.

large.IMG_20221125_095216.jpg.6ec134157f44d4c5460c730e99928f32.jpg

Tip of the snorkel / feeding tube has a inner pin that can be extended or retracted tiny bit. This is mentioned as sort of a shutoff system in the instructions. When the pen is pointing nib up, it automatically closes up in this  pen. That also could mean that i might be missing some components inside. It probably should be more rigid.

Instruction sheet of this pen.

large.IMG_20221125_095403.jpg.3b986ca1124ecf6b639f19d9807446a5.jpg

large.IMG_20221125_095413.jpg.688fc90b196a4dab11b3794d120e253c.jpg

Any other nib with the same outer width should work on this. Haven't tried though.