Essence Du Papier Stores In Montreal Are Closed For Good

dan in montreal

Bonjour,

I went Boxing Day shopping in downtown Montréal and on my way back home, I stopped by the big Essence du Papier store at Place Ville-Marie. There was a little sign on the door that read something like this: Thanks to all our loyal customers, but the store is closed for good as of December 24th.

They had another shop on St-Denis street. I checked their web site and it seems they are closed as well.

With these shops gone, the only worthwhile paper shop in Montreal is Nota Bene on Parc Avenue - they also cary FPs and the only place in Montréal that carries Diamine inks as far as I know. A few interesting finds are to me made at Omer Deserres art supply stores (Leuchtturm, Fabriano). What you can find in the library chains (Renaud-Bray, Indigo) is rather dismal (the usual Moleskine stuff and little else). Le Parchemin at Berri Metro station carries a good selection of Rhodia products and they also sell pens. That is pretty much it.

I've been trying to support local businesses, but it is getting harder and harder. They keep disappearing! I guess Nota Bene will be getting pretty much all of my business, along with Stylo.ca downtown.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dan in montreal

• Namo

• JLS1

• sd10521

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel.

I had the same experience when I planned a trip to New York City to hit up Art Brown and found they had closed for good just a few weeks earlier. Sure you can find everything online but nothing beats being able to go into a store with a diverse selection, seeing what you want first hand, and take it home with you.

Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel.

I had the same experience when I planned a trip to New York City to hit up Art Brown and found they had closed for good just a few weeks earlier. Sure you can find everything online but nothing beats being able to go into a store with a diverse selection, seeing what you want first hand, and take it home with you.

You are right about ordering online. Often times the only way to get a very specific item is to order it from an online shop. But I like taking the time to actually see the items first hand and trying out new stuff! I don't mind paying just a little bit more to be able to do so.

While I never liked EduP much for pens and inks, I wonder if the one in Ogilvy's is closed too? (This outlet was different in that it wasn't a stand-alone store...) They also had at least 1 store in Toronto on Yonge St. - does anyone know if that one is gone too?

JLS1, I think the Ogilvy Essence du papier was the first to go, a while back. I do not think the Toronto store is still open - I remember reading something about its closing here on fpn.

Sad for FPs, but Essence du papier was not so hot about fountain pens (exception for the wonderful staff for the StDenis shop), nor about paper. I remember going there, to the shop at Ogilvy's, and desperately looking for blank notebooks... without any success!!!

Nota Bene is THE place for paper (talk to Russell), and La Boutique du stylo for FPs. Both are selling Diamine ink. Decent choice of Noodler's at La Boutique, and said to carry the Neoponset anytime soon and Twsbi 580 by January.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!