Bottles To Decant Ink Into

Alexcat

I have some pretty but unusable( due to the neck aperture being too narrow) inks, which I want to decant into a usable bottle, preferably one thing at least a wee bit aesthetically pleasing, and saw this, and wondered if anyone had one, and if so, if it's good for this purpose....

And any other suggestions about bottles very welcome....

Here's the one I saw(it's listed as Pewter Swan Ink Bottle by Coles Calligraphy)

Any other sources for similar? Im in UK, and need to buy online....and my ideal would have a cat on it.

Thanks

Alex

post-110936-0-80853100-1419767004_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alexcat

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• amberleadavis

• Charles Rice

• Arkanabar

Are you sure the bottle on the picture would be useable? It looks like the Herbin bottles to me, and they are quite shallow, it's not very easy to fill from them after they are half-empty.

Coming from a practical point of view, I would recommend 1oz Nalgene bottles. Freezeproof and leakproof!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I've been looking for nice and practical bottles too and it's not as easy a task as I thought it would be. The problem arose for me in respect of wanting to transfer Herbin's inks into a more useable bottle with a much less narrow neck. A lot of the small bottles on ebay are just too small, but I think I might have better luck with a brick and mortar kitchen store.

I was gonna say that, except for the cap, that looks exactly like a J. Herbin bottle to me, too.

I think that the Waterman bottle is perhaps one of the nicest combinations of function (because of its tipping facets) and aesthetics available. The other bottles most often cited for utility are the Cross/Pelikan /Kaweco bottles (again, for tipping facets), the Montblanc shoe bottle, and the old Sheaffer sidewell bottles.

edit: If the pretty cap is what attracts you to the Swan bottle above, and you want a pewter cap, your best bet is to have them made.

Edited by Arkanabar

Levenger makes one of the most usable and good looking bottles out there in my opinion.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Levengerbottle_zpsac7326f4.jpg

It has a wonderful little well in it as well.

Holds 50 ml of ink.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I bought some 2 oz and 4 oz amber glass Boston Rounds recently. They would mostly be for storage rather than actually working from (I spent part of Christmas night decanting some vintage Skrip Peacock into several of the 4 oz. bottles -- one of which I put an eyedropper cap on). But I realize now that the 2 oz. bottles in particular would not really be good to fill pens from except for the really thin ones like the Parker Vectors. So, since I don't have any *empty* bottles yet, I use sample vials or the 1 oz. nalgene bottles for travel purposes (but, being plastic rather than glass, I'm not convinced that either are an ideal "long term" storage solution).

When I *do* get to the point of empty bottles, I suspect that the Waterman bottle and the Sailor Jentle bottle (and possibly the empty Levenger bottle) will be my best bets. And of course the three Ackerman bottles -- but it's going to take a LONG time to empty those.... Especially since I keep getting distracted by bright shiny objects other inks.... :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA:

@ alexcat -- Does that bottle have a screw-on cap? It's gorgeous -- but yet, other than the cap it does look like an Herbin bottle....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Old Skrip, Levenger, Akkerman and Montblanc bottles are in my experience some of the easiest to use.

Somewhere around here, we have a thread about choosing the perfect ink bottle for an ink. It has links to where you may acquire bottles.

If you are a thrift store / antique store junkie, old perfume bottles can be fantastic.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I use Boston Rounds (30ml) and wide mouth glass vials (8 ml) for many of my inks. It gives a nice conformity to things, although I only fill directly from the vials.

Is it like the one Parker had a few years back?

I am not familiar with that bottle, sorry Charles.

Levenger has had this design since at least the late 1990's and probably before. The well is a plastic insert

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Charles, the insert is very similar.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Charles, the insert is very similar.

Yeah, dang, I liked those older Parker bottles, but I tossed 'em after I emptied 'em.

I understand! I tossed out the Sheaffer cartridges.

Goulets sells empty bottles, but the selection depends on what they've got at the moment. Keep an eye out for the Waterman, Pelikan, and Kwaeco bottles others have mentioned. I've never used Kwaeco ink, but have several bottles, and they work well.

I bought a vintage Skrip bottle with ink at an antique store, and they had an empty I perhaps should have picked up. I also bought a full bottle of Superchrome... MWA HA HA...

I also have a Diamond 580 inkwell, and they're quite nice. Not at all cheap, though.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Old Skrip, Levenger, Akkerman and Montblanc bottles are in my experience some of the easiest to use.

Somewhere around here, we have a thread about choosing the perfect ink bottle for an ink. It has links to where you may acquire bottles.

If you are a thrift store / antique store junkie, old perfume bottles can be fantastic.

I'll have a look for that thread. I was a total charity shop( thrift store) junkie....loved a rummage, especially when I had a specific goal in mind. Alas, that's no longer an option....agoraphobia is a nasty beastie.

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

Bottle It Up
Inky T O D - What Ink Do Buy Despite The Bottle?

Inky T O D - The Perfect Ink Bottle For An Exclusive Ink.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/269093-inky-t-o-d-the-perfect-ink-bottle-for-an-exclusive-ink/

Inky T O D - Premium Inks - Is It All About The Bottle? Or Is The Ink Worth The Extra Money?

I understand! I tossed out the Sheaffer cartridges.

What??? Ya ain't got 'em yet.

And on reflection, I seem to recall that the Parker insert was too shallow to be really useful.

http://i.imgur.com/HuZolZp.jpg

I found these while somebody posted some Sailor exclusive pens...

http://i.imgur.com/zmLKnqG.jpg

from pen-house Japan they retail 100-200 USD ish for the Japanese craftsmanship

Edited by Algester