Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Gray And Grey - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

20 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Interesting.  On my screen it looks more like a sepia brown ink than a grey one.  (The only one that really looks grey is Kira-same... (De Atramentis Cement looks greyin the writing sample but greenish grey in the swab; Fog looks blue grey or blue black; and the Birmingham ink like a murky green).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yes, I don't even convince myself on this one, but, if you are writing with any one of them on it's own, the first impression is more grey than hue, it's mostly when you bring them into relationship that the distinctions start to emerge.

I once panicked that my bottle of Rusty Anchor was spoiled as when I wrote with it on a page that already featured pink, it just looked brown. Context is important!

Shirakashi is pushing it I know, and the fact this was written on cream paper surely accentuates the brown, but I have several experiences where I look back at a passage and the impression is grey, maybe blue-grey in the lighter strokes and more brown green where stronger. This morning I was writing on cheaper paper, and it looked much closer to Cement! Serves me right!

I posted here because I find there's a hard, mineral looking quality to many greys that I don't enjoy in plain writing, but this, while skirting the edges of greyness, has a much softer, friendlier appearance.

Sepia is a good word. It's clearly not Taupe, but isn't it interesting how we delimit such things?

The cook was recently gifted some squid ink as part of a culinary package, but the scribe is pretty keen to give it a try too!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Torrilin

Does anyone have a good writing sample of Diamine Silver Fox? I have only seen swabs, and they don't always give a good representation of what an ink looks like.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

i have this ink but not a good scanner... does this help?  I like it because it's a pure grey without other colors like red, blue, or brown

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.863be09d684e792814fe43a90d2222be.png

• 8 months later...

This was spliced together as a byproduct of something else I was doing:

large.19217015_12shadesofgrey.png.f5ec838cd5015717b9383dd6234f318c.png

(drawn on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² 5mm dot grid paper, and colour corrected in GIMP against reference greyscale targets that were scanned alongside the original sheets)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

(drawn on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² 5mm dot grid paper, and colour corrected in GIMP against reference greyscale targets that were scanned alongside the original sheets)

WOW that is great!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Love this!

Now that is some serious attention to detail. Nice work!

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY