Which Nib Do I Choose?

carevalo1

Hi, I have made the decision to buy an m200 and m600. The m200 is going to be included in my rotation of pens for school, the m600 stays at home. My question would be which nib do I choose for the m200. Will the fine be in any way scratchy, and if I choose a medium, will it be too wet? I have also herd that the nibs are removable. Will the m600 nib fit on the m200? Thank you for the responses.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carevalo1

• sargetalon

• risingsun

• usk15

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on the Pelikans. Both great pens.

The nibs tend to run a width broader so a fine, in general will be more of a fine/medium. They tend to be wet and in my experience smooth if the tines are aligned. The EF's have some tooth. The nibs are removable but an M600 nib will not fit an M200. If bought new, you will have 4 weeks to exchange the nib if it's not to your liking. You can also buy extra nibs to have on hand. The M200 nibs are stainless steel and therefore rather affordable as far as replacement/extras go.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

So the final question is whether or not the m600 nib will fit the m200? As in will the cap close if the m600 nib is on the m200 body.

I'm so sorry, I misread the post above. Thank you for the information. Merry Christmas is you celebrate it. if not, then happy holidays. ☺️

Although you have received great advice here already, I would consider what paper you use for school in deciding on the M200 nib. If you use lower quality paper that is less friendly to fountain pens, you may want to consider an EF. Unless there is something wrong with the nib, I would not consider an EF or a F nib to be "scratchy", but there is a possibility of "toothiness" as Sarge indicates above. This feeling is very subjective and dependent on the user.

All Pelikans generally are fairly wet writers, but that can be changed to be less so, if you are willing to have someone tune the nib for you. If you have quite small handwriting, I would steer you towards a finer nib as well.

And to answer your question, no the M600 nib will generally not fit the M200, because the inside of the cap will hit the nib when you screw the cap down, damaging the nib. M200 nib will work in the M600 pen, though.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Type of paper used is definitely a consideration. Feathering can certainly make some print illegible on cheaper paper. Great point risingsun!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Well, most of the paper I use is rhodora including notebooks and I print all the papers beforehand so that the teacher doesn't give me bad paper. I guess the pelikan will be a Devine writer. Thank you for the information and all the support.

Toothy feels like using a pencil....not 'scratchy'.

A 'toothy' nib can be more or less depending on the paper used......and can be made less by using a more lubricated ink.

Your paper and ink needs match.

On poor paper you might need a drier ink to handle bleed through and show through. Echo or ghost can be lived with.

You may need a dry school ink like Pelikan 4001 or R&K and live with a bit of toothy ness.

There are ways of upgrading your school paper....print your own lines, three hole punch....some big shops can bind your paper in some sort of spiral type of binder.

Not being in the States, I don't pay attention to that, but others can help you....perhaps in the Paper sub section.

There are other school spiral books that have better papers.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't have an M200 but I have several M400's and M600's. I use a fine M600 for note taking at school. I find that the M400 fine to be slightly broader and wetter when using the same ink. The fine nibs on my M400s write more like a medium to me (I have two in fine, and they both write the same). I point this out as the lines from your M200 and M600 will be slightly different. Enjoy!

Edited by dornblaser