Little Rock Pen Show 2015

gvhill

I went last year, it was great. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I'm very much looking forward to it this year.

I have budgeted all year. My purchases will be ungodly. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• esterbex

• The Write Pen

• vannesspen

I will be attending my first Pen Show this year at Little Rock. I was wondering if there will be any nibmeisters there. Does anyone know?

Yeah! Franklin Christoph! I feel like I'm bringing home a 1901!

I've heard some rumors we may have some other nib meisters there.

Great! I am very much looking forward to it. Now to figure out where to hide my cash so that I do not get in trouble with the wife! She will be with me of course, to keep an eye on and curtail my spending.

I live in Northwest Arkansas and I've never been to a pen show, so I was hoping to get some insight as to whether or not I should make the 3.5 hour drive. I don't really have much spending cash, so a shopping spree is pretty much out of the question (though I might be tempted to finally buy a Franklin-Christoph if I got to handle one in person). Are there any real benefits to attending pen shows, like significant discounts, trading/swapping, etc.? I'd hate to make the trip if I only ended up drooling over a bunch of pens I could never possibly purchase (unless that's also part of the appeal to a pen show--you guys tell me). :)

I live in Northwest Arkansas and I've never been to a pen show, so I was hoping to get some insight as to whether or not I should make the 3.5 hour drive. I don't really have much spending cash, so a shopping spree is pretty much out of the question (though I might be tempted to finally buy a Franklin-Christoph if I got to handle one in person). Are there any real benefits to attending pen shows, like significant discounts, trading/swapping, etc.? I'd hate to make the trip if I only ended up drooling over a bunch of pens I could never possibly purchase (unless that's also part of the appeal to a pen show--you guys tell me). :)

There is so much more to a pen show than just making purchases. You get to try pens, ink and paper out in the flesh...like trying on clothes before you make an online purchase. And yes, pens and ink are sold at significant discounts. You have gurus to answer your most profound questions and you can make some great contacts that may turn into lifelong friendships. 3.5 hours isn't a long drive for a pen show. Try 16-22 hours, or 3 days!

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I drove over from Memphis last year and will probably do so again this year. I attended specifically to buy No Nonsense pens and nibs and a few bottles of ink, and I stuck to that even though there were hundreds of beautiful pens to ogle. I don't really do much online shopping, so for me, a pen show is a good place to find much of what I might want in one place. I also enjoyed meeting and talking with the vendors and other attendees, and I also sat in a couple of the workshops. Last year, I stayed overnight, but I definitely would not do that again. A few hours is enough for me to see and do what I want, and I'd rather sleep in my own bed.

I would think that your budget or upper spending limit should determine whether or not you should drive down. Since I only look for a specific type of pen, I am not tempted by the others, and it does not bother me to see many gorgeous pens that would put me over my limit. I also enjoy seeing that many pen geeks in one place. If I my spending budget was really restricted (and compared unfavorably to how much will it cost in gas to get there) and I knew that I would be unhappy about being in such close proximity to pens (and inks and books and more) that I couldn't buy, then I would not make the trip. I would just order what I wanted by mail if I could. On the other hand, last year was my first time attending a pen show, and it was worth it for me just to see what it was all about.

That's my two cents...

There is so much more to a pen show than just making purchases. You get to try pens, ink and paper out in the flesh...like trying on clothes before you make an online purchase. And yes, pens and ink are sold at significant discounts. You have gurus to answer your most profound questions and you can make some great contacts that may turn into lifelong friendships. 3.5 hours isn't a long drive for a pen show. Try 16-22 hours, or 3 days!

I made a lifelong friend at the Arkansas Pen Show several years ago! Right Ms. Esterbex? The opportunity to try the inks and pens and learn new repair skills makes the trip worthwhile as well!

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

I made a lifelong friend at the Arkansas Pen Show several years ago! Right Ms. Esterbex? The opportunity to try the inks and pens and learn new repair skills makes the trip worthwhile as well!

That's right Mrs. Vanness! ;)

drv1913 makes a good point about weighing the costs of travel, though. Gas may be cheaper, but it's not cheap. And 3.5 hours with turnaround

is a day's drive. Comixfan.... you have the scales....

~~Larry Brown

Comixfan, I agree with esterbex and would further point out that you have more or less answered your question: you might buy a F-C if you could handle one. Where else are you going to get to do that? And not handle just one, but handle a whole bunch and write with just about every nib F-C offers. Anywhere else? Not that I know of anyway.

Plus, do you know what pen x really looks like, or what pen Y feels like in the hand, or what it is to watch one of the nib grinders and then get to sample the results?

Ever seen one of Watcharts pens up close and personal? I haven't but would love to. And while I was at it I would buy some postcards from him. No waiting for the mail to bring them to me.

Oh, that reminds me. Need some ink? Get and and don't wait for the delivery, or the shipping fees.

And, at least as important as all the above, maybe the most important aspect, is you will get to meet a lot of people you have heard of and read about here and in other forums, talk to them, watch them work, ask questions-get answers- learn from them. Who knows you might strike one of those pen person friendships that tend to flourish in a pen show setting.

I am not sure I would go to Atlanta if I had to go alone. But I have made a pen world friend so I don't have to go alone. We share the driving chores, the expenses, and have some good long talks while spending the nearly 6 hours each way. Maybe you could do the same.

Even if you had no budget for pen stuff I urge you too go. If you can't stay over one night, then show up about opening time Saturday and make a day of it. You can still be home in time for a good nights sleep.

Wear some sort of easily readable tag that either has your name or your FPN avatar ID, and be sure to make the FPN part large enough for other members to see. Look for other name tags that identify FPN members and speak to them.

You may not think it was worth it in the long run, but I would bet you will be glad you went.

Tom

I've made a lot of really good contacts, and several good friends over the last few years at the pen shows. Once I go full time my wife and I plan on hitting as many shows each year as we can manage. It's a ton of fun and the travel together is a blast.

The benefit to attending a pen show is immense. You are immersed in vintage and modern pens. The knowledge base of the collectors and vendors is a wonderful resource for anyone. You will get to handle many pens and write with them and see what you might want in the future. The atmosphere in NLR is welcoming and you will enjoy yourself or I will refund your entrance fee to the show. ;-)

Regards,

danny

writepenbanner.gif.3b32962e78b1a1ac0464819a5bdfe0b8.gif

The benefit to attending a pen show is immense. You are immersed in vintage and modern pens. The knowledge base of the collectors and vendors is a wonderful resource for anyone. You will get to handle many pens and write with them and see what you might want in the future. The atmosphere in NLR is welcoming and you will enjoy yourself or I will refund your entrance fee to the show. ;-)

Regards,

danny

:rolleyes:

~~Larry Brown

Well, that settles it, then--I reckon I'm going, and I'll just try to set a budget and stick to it. :) Thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. Since I'm still more or less a newbie to the world of fountain pens, I'm just hoping that I won't feel too out of my element with all of the pros there. But I'm definitely looking forward to the experience of my first pen show!