Sheaffer Skrip (Slovenia) Users: I'd Love Your Input

CarlosCaligrafia

I have drive across my city trying to find a sheaffer bottle that doesnt have this, and i have not be succesfull, after open more than 7 bottles on different stores i have found the same floaty things in the bottle... so maybe this is normal.. is it?

Since is the first time i use bottled ink.. i have to ask about it.

another question,

do Cartridges could have mold?? because it seems that is the only option i have if i want to use Sheaffer ink. (I dont enjoy Lamy ink the other brand i can get in here)

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dan in montreal

• Daisy

• JeanManuel

• CarlosCaligrafia

Whatever that substance is floating on the surface, I wouldn't want to subject any of my pens to it! Any chance you could get Diamine ink--what about ordering it rather than trying to find it locally????

Whatever that substance is floating on the surface, I wouldn't want to subject any of my pens to it! Any chance you could get Diamine ink--what about ordering it rather than trying to find it locally????

Yes i think i could try ordering online and pay the shipping+taxes to Mexico, i was thinking on trying noddlers or Diamine... but i find really weird that so many bottles of this ink have those floaty things.

Thanks.

Pens:

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

It doesn't look like mold. I have had plenty of mold growing in my animal cell cultures, and none looked like that. It looks like some sort of precipitate, like when you mix an acid or a base, or some sort of crusty stuff. Should be fine i guess... Just dip your filling mechanism in farther so it doesn't suck up the top stuff--if its normal.

mmm i already ditched the ink!!... i will wait more opinions, thanks!

Pens:

It's not normal, and I would not use it. It does not look like a fungal, but you cannot really be sure without microscopic exam.

My guess is that it is a manufacturing contaminant, or the bottles had some particulate that got into them before or after filling.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

If you can find a microscope with even 40x power, you should be able to see what it is. Is it just on the surface or all throughout the bottle? If you skim it off, and it all comes back it's potentially fungal myceliae. If you can't get a scope, or can't be sure, I'd assume the worst and throw it out.

I have a bottle of DeAtramentis ink that had a similar case of the 'floaties'. I put a sample under the microscope and it wasn't mold or fungus, it just looked like flakes of something non-organic.

Just to be sure, I quarantined the bottle for a couple of months and didn't see any signs of growth, so I filtered the ink and used it.

it does look like a mold of some kind to me. i use to have a bottle of PR Velvet Black that had something exactly like that swimming inside. after filtering it one, two, than three times, it kept growing back. PR sent me a new bottle. odd you say all the sheaffer bottles in different stores had that same thing happened! must be what Sam said...

can you buy ink online?

I've been through two bottles of Sheaffer red that have something like that on top, and if you shine a light through them, there's clearly something there...very fine, but something other than clear red liquid. Two bottles, two different vendors (Anderson Pens in early June and Goldspot late July - not faulting either vendor, and I haven't asked for exchanges from either).

I was/am freaked, because (I'm _pretty_ sure), I cross contaminated a bottle by using the same pipette I used with some other moldy ink. Now I am wondering if that first bottle was, in fact, moldy. I think so. That one did get worse and had white spots on top. Smelled a bit off, too. The later two bottles smell fine.

The current Sheaffer bottle, and the one I poured into the bleach-cleaned Iroshizuku bottle, just have some "stuff" that is not getting worse.

No luck getting a shot through the Iroshi bottle, too much contrast. Here's looking into the top of the bottle of red, though:

fpn_1344303339__sheaffer_red_ink_surface.jpg

A bottle of Sheaffer Green from that same Goldspot order has nothing floating (also has a sticker on the top and what I assume is a newer style label that is just white with a logo, no picture of a pen with an inlaid sheaffer nib).

At this point, I'm using the 3rd bottle (the one photographed). I don't want mold, but I'm tired of jumping at shadows (or inconsequential particles).

--edit

I just looked through every handy bottle of ink that I can easily see through: AM Bordeaux, DeA Ruby Red (both opened); three colors of Platinum Mix Free, MB Ink of Joy (all unopened). They _all_ have something in them. For all I know most of my inks do, it's just that only the reds and pinks are light enough colors to see through.

Edited by radellaf

Does this make it any clearer? 10x loupe & Canon S100 on the surface of the bottle. I tried the 30x on a piece of glass and all I saw was what looked like a tiny bit of textile fiber, and some air bubbles. Certainly nothing bio.

fpn_1344388647__sheaffer-red-ink-surface-10x.jpg

after open more than 7 bottles on different stores i have found the same floaty things in the bottle...

Did that stuff come off the inside of the bottle cap, maybe when the bottle was opened? Have you examined the cap to check for a dried up paper liner or a seal with debris or glue on it? Sheaffer is still the safest ink, according to many pen people. Your experience is very odd.

Carpe Stilo

Assuming this is essentially, dust, then the ink would still be safe. The cap looks intact.

There is some other stuff that settles to the bottom. Agitate the ink after it has sat a while and you can see two different things. Some tiny separate particles, and a patch or two of "fog". Just the least bit of what I assume are very small particles. Un-shaken, all but the surface and the bottom are crystal clear.

Tempest in a teapot? Wouldn't hurt to let Sheaffer know about it I suppose, even if it's not a problem "normal" customers would even notice. Not to mention, the bottom bits would be invisible in all the other colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think is glue or linen...

Maybe is the clear package where the ink is stored. It is easier to light hit the ink and accelerate age and braking the composition, maybe generating mold. And i assume there is little rotation of bottled ink in my Country, so this ink is surely old.

I pretty much over sheaffer bottled ink, i dont want to risk any pen. I do use their cartridges however is a nice solid black ink.

I guess i will try to buy online from now on :thumbup:

Thanks for all the feedback

Pens:

I have a bottle of DeAtramentis ink that had a similar case of the 'floaties'. I put a sample under the microscope and it wasn't mold or fungus, it just looked like flakes of something non-organic.

I have a bottle of Quink that has some floaties in it. I'm fairly certain they were not there when I bought the ink. I'm living in a basement that has some mold issues, so that might be worth mentioning. Things left out start to grow mold very quickly. Yes I'm moving out of here ASAP.

Hmm, I would say that it is most likely something coming out of solution/crystallizing after some heating and thawing cycles. Thymol has a tendency to do this, as well do some other things. I wonder what preservative they use. Oh, hard water and ionic surfactants can form stuff like this too. What happens when you shake it up? Does it re-dissolve/re-suspend itself or does it come back to the top?

Slaínte,

Lucas Tucker

Scribal Work Shop

Facebook

Hmm, I would say that it is most likely something coming out of solution/crystallizing after some heating and thawing cycles. Thymol has a tendency to do this, as well do some other things. I wonder what preservative they use. Oh, hard water and ionic surfactants can form stuff like this too. What happens when you shake it up? Does it re-dissolve/re-suspend itself or does it come back to the top?

It comes back to the top :mellow:

Pens:

It comes back to the top :mellow:

Mine did this as well. I fished it out using a pencil then put it in the toilet to see what happens. Nothing happened. It just looks like a hair ball or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheaffer black. regenerative gooey surface. Yeast/fermented smell.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/PhotonicDrop/sheafferblueblack.jpg

Sheaffer blue black. Yeast/fermented smell.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/PhotonicDrop/Sheafferblack-1.jpg

Sheaffer black set aside in a cleaned vintage ink bottle... I wouldn't even try to smell that.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/PhotonicDrop/sheafferblack.jpg

Is this mold?... yeah I'm pretty sure there is no need to ask anymore at this point. I think they screwed up big time on the biocide composition. I will ask them to reformulate and change my inks. I have inks from other manufacturers and there is no sign of infection in them so far, so at this point, I don't think it's a particularly bad strain.

It's sad because the old skrip ink was wonderful.

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.