Suggestions For A Flex Nibbed, Heavy, Big Pen, In Uk

Alexcat

With flex nibs, the bigger and the heavier the pen body, the harder it is to control those pens/nibs when flexed ... and the harder it is to learn to properly learn flexible writing. Likewise, the larger the nib size, the more flexible the nib, and the thinner the line it can produce ... the harder it is to control them.

One of the things I love about this place.....so much to learn, and loving the learning process :)

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• Wolverine1

• WetNoodle

• PrestoTenebroso

Alex- are you located somewhere near or in London? I would suggest that you visit Harry Simpole's booth at Portobello Road, and see about getting a vintage pen of the size that would be right for you.

Alex- are you located somewhere near or in London? I would suggest that you visit Harry Simpole's booth at Portobello Road, and see about getting a vintage pen of the size that would be right for you.

Wolverine1,

That would be lovely.....alas, Im not near there; Im awaaaaaay up in Scotland. Lived in London for a bit though. Before my pen collecting began :) and unfortunately I have to rely on online ordering - agoraphobia. ( reason I mention it is that every time I do, it helps me feel just a tiny bit less embarrassed/ashamed, which I know is neither logical nr sensible, but nevertheless feel that way....and just saying it is a wee step towards overcoming it. That's my reasoning, anyway :)

Thanks again

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

Alex- my Grandfather served with the Black Watch a long time ago, before he transfered to the Indian Gorkha Rifles.

Well, about vintage pens, Mr Simpole is also a FPN member, and you could maybe send him a PM and he could tell you if he had something suitable for your needs. I will find his username and post it here in a few minutes.

It is "Truffle Finder"

Edited by Wolverine1

Alex, two things:

1. Please consider reading this first section on getting flex nibs:

http://www.desideratapens.com/faq/

I think it would help you a lot.

2. I have a black ebonite Neponset I would consider selling. Used exactly twice. We can talk.

When do you plan to use this pen?

This is more than two things.

Some nibmeisters, Pendleton Brown for example, can add flex to most modern nibs. Or you can learn to do it yourself by modifying Noodlers flex nib with "ease my flex" modification. Noodlers flex nib is a bit large and hard to fit in other pens (Gama Kuyil with No Nonsense feed being one delightful exception). The fans of vintage flex nibs look at these contraptions with disdain but there is a lot of fun to be had with them so why bother.

Best way to learn flex writing is with nib holder and for example Zebra G nib. It offers much more flex and ruining one pound nib by overflexing is preferable to ruining fountain pen nib.

Twsbi is good sized pen but not really a huge or heavy pen. I just sold a Twsbi because it was a bit too small..

One possibility is to get Jinhao 159 pen from ebay and fit it with a few Nemosine stub nibs from Xfountainpens. There is a chance that you will get a crash course on tweaking fountain pens at the same time but they can be had for about 15 pounds. And if you like 159 i'd suggest Mr Pens Italix fountain pens that are also big & heavy and offer really ice stub nibs.

You mention some good ideas. I just want to throw my hat in the ring in that I sell a fountain pen that's designed for accommodating the Zebra G as well as italics and standard firm nibs.

Alex, you seem to be an artistic sort, so you might appreciate the wonderful colours and brilliance of the Monteverde Prima range. They have a 1.1 stub option for the nib and can be bought online from Andy's Pens

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/montepens.shtml

For a flex pen, you can't go wrong with vintage. In my opinion you get the best deals on ebay uk. I never bother with the auctions, they make me too anxious, so I just go for the "Buy it Now" options. I have never bought a vintage pen from there, but have had some wonderful deals on Chinese pens (hardly in the same league).

Have you also considered paper and ink? For the paper, I personally prefer the Oxford Optik (Optik is usually written on the back in small letters); you can often get this from Amazon. Ink is more a matter of taste and the type of pen you purchase.

Take care and have great fun writing! :sm_cat:

Oh, so much help, so many wonderful suggestions and sources....thank you all...Stu L., Bookcat, Presto Tenebroso, Wolverine 1...... And everyone lose: many thanks for the help, and also many thanks for helping me feel a real part of things here. That's lovely.

Happy Hannukah/Christmas/holidays/ winter solstice.....

Alex

Buy a Noodler's (20 $) and a big pen from asapens.in (about 50 $). Switch the nibs. Throw away the Noodler's. Feeds of indian pens are much better.

I never got Noodler's nib well fitted to Gama pens with Noodler's or Gama's feeds. Worked nicely with No Nonsense feed. Some shops sell Noodlers nibs separetly.

@PrestoTenebroso: You make wonderful pens and i will definetly order one when i feel i will have time to practise.

Edited by j.a.j.

Non notisi signi.

I never got Noodler's nib well fitted to Gama pens with Noodler's or Gama's feeds. Worked nicely with No Nonsense feed. Some shops sell Noodlers nibs separetly.

@PrestoTenebroso: You make wonderful pens and i will definetly order one when i feel i will have time to practise.

Hehe! Thanks! Maybe there'll be something cheaper down the line to make the decision making easier... ;-)