Noodler's Liberty Elysium Or Baystate Blue

MuttonChew

Hey,
I'm new to FP's so go easy if i get any lingo wrong. I cant decide between Noodler's Liberty Elysium, or Noodler's Baystate Blue. I will be using the ink in a Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib, and i will primarily be using it for school. I will usually be using cheaper/thinner paper so i need to know which ink has the best bleed through, and dry-time. I've heard the Baystate Blue stains pens alot but I'm not sure if i should worry about that since it will be one of the only ink's i use in the pen. I guess i could order some samples from Goulet, but i want to know some fellow fountain pen enthusiast's opinions first.
Thanks
Mutton

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• amberleadavis

• MuttonChew

• ac12

Order one of each sample and try it out. Pick the color you like most and make sure it works on the cheap paper that you'll be using.

BSB is "retinal searing" bright. LE is a close second but does not compare. Staining won't make a difference in a cartridge or converter since you won't be buying a demonstrator. With a fine nib and absorbent paper neither will have much difference in dry time. BSB can feather on some cheap paper, but not all and it is not a huge issue with thinner nibs.

Wash very thoroughly between different inks for BSB as its pH does not get along with others.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

My experience with BSB is that it feathers a lot. I personally find it too bright for reading large portions of text like notes, etc.

Liberty's Elysium is a nice shade of blue.

I also recommend you get samples and try them out for yourself.

I don't have Baystate Blue, but I can speak to the behavior of Liberty Elysium. A great ink. It has nice pop for a blue ink. Not eye searing, but noticable. Great shading in the right pen. Quick dry time, great water resistance. No feathering on most paper considered fountain pen friendly. Not a lot of lubrication, but good flow.

I debated BSB, but the feathering issue scared me off. That and the staining.

Baystate Blue feathers in my experience on normal copy paper. It's a great blue, but you will probably hurt your eyes if a whole page is written in that ink.

I can't speak for Liberty's Elysium as I haven't had the chance to try it yet, however the colour does look good from the Goulet swab.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I'm yet to try my sample of Baystate Blue but I have tried Liberty's Elysium. I found that no matter what pen I put it in, it would write very wet with a thick line - in an EF Safari or my F Pelikan it would look like I was writing with a medium nib. I handed it off to my fiance who prefers medium and broad nibs and he loves it.

Just to throw another suggestion out there - have you considered Noodlers Blue? I find the colour to be very close to Liberty's Elysium and much more well behaved. if you're going to get samples of both, what's one more!!!

Pelikan M205 F Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris - Pilot VP F Iroshizuku Kon-peki - Pilot Falcon SF Iroshizuku Tsutsuji

Lamy Safari EF Noodlers Black - Lamy Al Star 1.1 Private Reserve Rose Rage - Lamy Safari F Diamine Flamingo Pink - Lamy Al Star F Waterman Inspired Blue

TWSBI 580AL F - Omas Violet - TWSBI 580AL M De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes - TWSBI Vac700 F - Diamine Grey

I <3 Noodler's Blue. Beautiful shade with shading. Strong and pretty give it a try.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

not interested in BSB. I liked Liberty's Elysium except.. this might sound a bit odd, but the "blue" and the "black" portions seemed to me, not fully integrated.

I don't have Liberty but do have BSB. I would not get BSB to use for notes. It is a bright color, like a LED. I like the ink but only use it in one pen and when I fill or use plan to have BSB on my fingers for days even after a normal shower. For me a novelty ink, maybe for my holiday cards.

For school/work notes I want something easier on eyes for writing and then the hours of reading. Something like Blue/Black or a serious, business Blue. I can do my summary notes or comments in something more contrasting. Would want something a bit water resistant so I could read if water spilled, backpack falls in a pile of snow/slush.

Personally I would take notes using a regular ballpoint like a BIC - some variety. Cheap, writes on any paper, writes forever (unlike a FP or gel pen), readable even with water or coffee. Many ballpoints write as easy as a gel but last longer and cheaper. -Won't cry if dropped, lost, someone borrows and forgets to give back. Might carry a Fisher Space Pen refill in an inexpensive ballpoint so you can write over greasy spots/fingerprints. Would also carry a couple great, smooth pencils like the Staedtler Norica (very smooth and dark, I like better than Blackwings) and a Staetler allXwrite or Wopex. Last two don't write as dark but are smooth and the point lasts much longer.

--OK I don't know what you are studying or where you are in school but all I mentioned would have served me very well in my HS, college and post course work.

Thanks for the replies!

I will definatley get a sample of all three of the inks but I think Liberty Elysium will be my best bet.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

IMG_20141211_033222.jpgIMG_20141211_033200.jpg

Very nice!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/2014-Ink_581-Noodlers_EelBlue.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/2014-Ink_127-BSB.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/2014-Ink_159.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I like Eel blue better too, but is not water proof or resistant.

One turns everything in your world blue, the other doesn't. Don't see much of a decision to be made there...

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Mutton if you are in Toronto you are welcome to fill a few pens out of my bottle of BSB - it is one of my favourite inks and is vibrant. On Clairfontaine and with a B or a BB nib the letters leap off the page. I got a sample of LE Blue but have not got around to trying it.

Mutton if you are in Toronto you are welcome to fill a few pens out of my bottle of BSB - it is one of my favourite inks and is vibrant. On Clairfontaine and with a B or a BB nib the letters leap off the page. I got a sample of LE Blue but have not got around to trying it.

Im actually in Vancouver but thanks for the offer! I think BSB will be a little to bright for my purposes but i will be sure to get a sample from goulet.