Black Cat - Cashmere - Susemai - Black Stone Ink Powder

amberleadavis

I'm down to just a few left and I'm trying to share the love. This is one of the few remaining black sachets.

Here's a little background.

The powders were developed by Black Stone Ink company and sent to me for testing. Because I love to share the experience, I opened it up to others in this thread. More than 50 FPNers helped test the first four batches of powdered inks - Amber, Balls, Cashmere and Diamond.
After those tests, only the Cashmere line was distributed for further testing. Attendees of the Toronto Pen show were given three of the Cashmeres (Black, Red and Blue) and beta testers known as the SuperPInks were given sachets of four inks to test (Black, Red and Magic). The Green Cashmere suffered a mixing meltdown and ended up being Magic. Each sachet of Magic is a different color AND it changes color as it dries. ITS DANG COOL and will never be made again.

As for the name SuSeMai - Blackstone was originally the SUper SEcret MAker of Ink. Blackstone said it like Toshiba - like Sue See Mah. DCPritch who thought it was funny that I'm an attorney by day and ink tester by night, says it as So Sue Me. The rest of us just call it AWESOME INK POWDER.

Now... on to the PIF:

First one to PM me with a name and address...
Susemai / Blackstone / Ink Powder

1 Sachet of Black Cashmere.
Rules: If not within the US, you pay actual shipping. You cannot have already won one of these inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Arkanabar

• Crewel

• tat2drn

Wow, no takers? This is an awesome ink mix. It can be used to improve the color of any ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, I already have 4 black inks (and free access to a 5th at work), and you've already sent me Blue Cashmere in return for providing the name "Elegant" to the 5th generation of SuSeMaI ink powders, and Steve has provided me with some red. So that's two or three reasons for not taking it off your hands.

Red Cashmere is pretty neat stuff, but I think I'd need it to be around 6% or maybe even 4% for it to be light and bright enough for my taste -- as I've said before, Diamine's Poppy or Wild Strawberry, or Skrip Red. I need an empty bottle before I mix the Blue. If you were to send me the black, it'd wait for months or perhaps even years before I put it to use.

Thank you! I did get a taker.

• 3 weeks later...

Last one - Black Cat / Cashmere.

• 3 weeks later...

They are gone. If I find another I will let you know.

SuSaMai Black Cat Cashmere: A Review

First, I want to thank amberleadavis for her generosity in letting me try out SuSaMai Black Cat Cashmere ink powder through one of her PIFs. I love trying out different inks and colors, so this opportunity was much appreciated.

The following is a first impression, slight in-depth review of the Black Cat Cashmere, which comes in powder form for you to mix as you like. There are other colors of course, and they are made by Black Stone Ink company. More background information can be found in the first post by amberleadavis here.

Black, in general, is not my favorite color since it is so ubiquitous, but my experiences have shown that there is black and there is BLACK. Which one you prefer is all up to you.

I have found Black Cat Cashmere to be a very decent ink. It is relatively well behaved, flows very well in the pens I have inked, and it dries relatively fast. It has some archival quality as long as there is enough ink on the paper and given adequate drying time. Black Cat Cashmere is also one of the darkest out of all the blacks in my stock. Your conclusions may vary depending on many factors such as wetness, paper, and nib as well as your own style of writing. The following scans try to demonstrate how the ink looks in different pens and writing applications. Some of the subtleties may not be readily apparent due to the limitations of the upload, but I hope it gives you a more than adequate idea of the properties of the ink.

This does not follow my usual style of ink reviews, so forgive the inadequacies. All the writing has been applied on Rhodia Reverse Book, 80g., graph rule. I mixed one packet of Black Cat Cashmere (~4g) with about 55ml of distilled water. According to the packet, 50-60 ml is recommended for your normal fountain pen ink. Less water will result in more saturated color, and more will result in more diluted or washed out color. Most of the writing was done with my newest acquisition, a vintage BCHR Waterman 52 with a nice flexy 14k #2 nib.

fpn_1422176303__intro_pic01_final.jpg

fpn_1422176340__sbc_review_p01_final.jpg

fpn_1422176359__sbc_review_p02_final.jpg

fpn_1422176382__sbc_review_p03_final.jpg

As you can see from the above scans, the only other black that is close to Black Cat Cashmere is PR Velvet Black. Even Noodler's HoD was not that close. The Pilot Black is not really in the same league since the Parallel Pens generally lays down a very wet line, especially the 6.0mm version.

In conclusion, I am enjoying this ink. The ink can shade some depending on your writing style, and the color itself is very utilitarian for many applications. I would highly recommend this ink, and if you like to dabble, the powder gives you the opportunity to tailor the ink to your tastes. Enjoy.

* Edited for misspelling and naming.

Edited by Crewel

Powdered ink sounds interesting! Any idea when it might be for sale?

I'm sure that Amberlea Davis will be the first to know and share. The real name of Super Secret Maker of Ink (Susemai) is Blackstone ink. Wait till googling Blackstone Ink Powders gets results somewhere besides blogs and FPN.

Crewel, that's a wonderful review!

Matt, I don't know. We need to encourage Kevin of JustWrite.com.au to make more!