Fountain Pen Storage Solutions

Sky Fountain Pens

There are some long threads on this which truly help my humility, for they are awesome. Ended up going to Ace Hardware and buying sheets of self-adhesive felt and lining some small drawers in my desk hutch.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barnaby Bumble

• risingsun

• da vinci

• Snargle

I have used multiple do-it-yourself solutions as the collection has grown. Mostly anything with a drawer can be made to accomodate. I use the pen trays from Go Pens because they are great and can be easily cut to fit. I have used...

A cigar box type solution which I made myself and holds 13 pens

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/236329-weekend-pen-chest-project/

A chest that I found online which was able to hold 72 pens

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/251034-my-diy-72-pen-chest-project/

And my latest solution is a machinist tool box which will hold 124 pens

attachicon.gifUntitled-2_zps6eccf15c.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-8_zps4e1893a3.jpg

The newest solution that I am working on is a true Gerstner chest that you build yourself. It should hold about 130 pens.

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

I like that machinist tool box a lot. Clever idea.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

I picked up this box for a few dollars at a local antique mall. I think it was originally intended as a stationery storage cabinet. It measures 12" x 9" x 6". I cleaned it up, put in some pen trays, and quickly managed to fill it! The overflow fits into several wooden cigar boxes with trays.

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Larry

At home I use low-cost Muji acrylic drawers, fitted with pen tray inserts.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Inked pens all go together in the top tray.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Muji drawers are really well-made and being transparent, make it easy to find things. I have various sizes, which are also ideal for small ink bottles, sample vials, syringes etc.

I also have two custom made sets of wooden drawers, which hold the bulk of my pens, including those I don't use as often.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Love the muji drawers and the Blackbird!

I have used multiple do-it-yourself solutions as the collection has grown. Mostly anything with a drawer can be made to accomodate. I use the pen trays from Go Pens because they are great and can be easily cut to fit. I have used...

A cigar box type solution which I made myself and holds 13 pens

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/236329-weekend-pen-chest-project/

A chest that I found online which was able to hold 72 pens

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/251034-my-diy-72-pen-chest-project/

And my latest solution is a machinist tool box which will hold 124 pens

attachicon.gifUntitled-2_zps6eccf15c.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled-8_zps4e1893a3.jpg

The newest solution that I am working on is a true Gerstner chest that you build yourself. It should hold about 130 pens.

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

Too quote Brisco County jr. "Very Fancy"!

I just use the extremely nice wood burl boxes that come with each Onoto pen (best factory box ever), Conway Stewart also has nice Leather display boxes that come with their pens. Krone also has nice wood boxes, including a huge Pirate looking Chest for one pen!

For the pens that lack acceptable boxes, Montblanc (real disappointment there) etc. I have two Orange Delta Leather pen cases.

And for the Lamys and Monteverde and Visconti Rembrandt pens I have them in my drawer with all my ink.

After looking for quite a while, I finally found this oak cabinet. Not sure what it was used for originally, but it has lots of promise for pen storage. Now the project is to get it all cleaned up and install the necessary trays. The bottom drawers are huge - I may use them for photographic print storage instead of pens.

post-114166-0-33077200-1418173537_thumb.jpg

Right now I have a few different cigar boxes and other wooden boxes that I store most of my pens in. I keep all my 51s in a leather case with a few other pens.

I'm in the process of turning a vintage silverware box into a pen box, this should help consolidate everything into 1 spot.

Write Again

-Paul K

After looking for quite a while, I finally found this oak cabinet. Not sure what it was used for originally, but it has lots of promise for pen storage. Now the project is to get it all cleaned up and install the necessary trays. The bottom drawers are huge - I may use them for photographic print storage instead of pens.

attachicon.gifOak pen chest.JPG

Oh, that's beautiful. Yes, it does show a lot of promise. Kinda reminds me of old optometrist cabinets.

Gerstner is the machinists' toolbox and has been for many decades. Yes, they are pricey, but they border on being a family heirloom. Can't say enough good things about them. I have several old ones, but they are full of tools.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

That machinist tool box is really calling my name. Those Gerstner guys sure are proud of theirs, though.

A Gerstner Machinist toolbox is quite expensive but built to last and they are perfect for fountain pens. I'm looking into getting one of their do it yourself kits to save a few dollars but that still cost around $270. The toolbox in my picture was a fair bit cheaper. While not even in the same league of quality, it does it's job admirably. Here is the link; http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Gerstner is the machinists' toolbox and has been for many decades. Yes, they are pricey, but they border on being a family heirloom. Can't say enough good things about them. I have several old ones, but they are full of tools.

A Gerstner Machinist toolbox is quite expensive but built to last and they are perfect for fountain pens. I'm looking into getting one of their do it yourself kits to save a few dollars but that still cost around $270. The toolbox in my picture was a fair bit cheaper. While not even in the same league of quality, it does it's job admirably. Here is the link; http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

Thanks, guys! Is any particular Gerstner model especially well suited to FP and ink storage? I was thinking the ones with a deeper tray and one taller drawer (like the 41D or 52A) would be better for ink storage, since some of those bottles are tall.

And thanks for the link, sargetalon. I'm probably going to hold out for a Gerstner at this point. I had ordered a different one from Grizzly.com that was priced in between the one you linked and the Gerstners, and seemed to have a perfect arrangement of drawers, but they emailed to say it was back-ordered till February '15.

Their website said it was in stock. I don't truck with that kind of misleading trick, so I won't be buying from them, but it's another option out there if anybody else is thinking of going with this kind of box.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

I just picked up the Harbor Freight Tool Chest this afternoon. It's currently on sale for $79.99 and 20% off coupons are available almost everywhere. It's nice, nowhere near the quality and attention to detail as a Gerstner box, but certainly functional and quite acceptable for basic storage. I just need to order some pen trays now, cut them to size, and I'll be all set.

Larry

I just picked up the Harbor Freight Tool Chest this afternoon. It's currently on sale for $79.99 and 20% off coupons are available almost everywhere. It's nice, nowhere near the quality and attention to detail as a Gerstner box, but certainly functional and quite acceptable for basic storage. I just need to order some pen trays now, cut them to size, and I'll be all set.

Looking forward to pictures, Snargle!

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

Looking forward to pictures, Snargle!

Probably not until after the holidays. Technically, it's a Christmas gift from my wife, so I have to pretend I don't have it until she wraps it up and gives it to me on Christmas Day! :lol:

Larry

Thanks, guys! Is any particular Gerstner model especially well suited to FP and ink storage? I was thinking the ones with a deeper tray and one taller drawer (like the 41D or 52A) would be better for ink storage, since some of those bottles are tall.

I have a vintage example of the 52A that I picked up in an estate sale. It was rough and needed repair, but i was able to piece it back together fairly well. It would be good for most pen-related storage, though I do think that some of the drawers are probably a little shallow for pens once you add in a tray.

I have another home-made machinists tool chest that is perfect for all of my pen repair tools. It sits in the dining room...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg