Opinion Wanted - Best Oversized Pen For Arthritis Sufferer?

s.s.miles

I have been using FPs for some time, and while I haven't found an all-purpose writer I love, I do adore my Platinum #3776 Century w/ music nib for composing/arranging/etc... all those music-type-thingys that constitutes my freelance job.

Now I would really like to find a good fountain pen to use in my everyday world of writing notes, jotting down lists of errands and such, but I have begun to develop a rather severe case of Rheumatoid Arthritis, so gripping is becoming more and more difficult by the day. I have decently large hands anyway, so I'm thinking an Oversive is probably the way to go.

So my question is this: Is there a pen, or group of pens, you would suggest I look into that has/have a large (but not that Japan Jumbo hugemongous) barrel? I would prefer to keep it in the $300-$500 US range, but would spend more ($750 maybe) for something nearing perfection. So far I've been researching the larger Viscontis, Deltas, and Pelikans, but most of that research has been online, so I really have no idea as to whether or not I am on the right track.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

PS-I live in Houston TX, & I know Dromgoole's is a godsend for hands-on research (as long as I don't get too distracted by all the shiny things), but I'd really like to go in with some idea about what direction to start looking.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moshe ben David

• dcwaites

• Sinuhe

• j.a.j.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may want to look at a couple of reviews by a couple of FPNers.

The first one by member jar: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144593-review-comparison-of-wide-sections/

the second one by member univer: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/50943-voodoo-ergonomics/

Best of luck.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

One that I have (and like a *lot*) is the Edison Collier. Beautiful pen, lots of flexibility by means of swappable nibs. Goes for $150 with a steel Jowo nib (and I'm waiting for a Binder ItaliFine in the mail today or tomorrow), add another $125 for a gold nib. Comfortable to hold, unless you have small hands.

Or, for somewhat less, a Jinhao 159 for about $10... It also accepts a #6 Jowo nib.

I have trouble with my hands, as a result of the series of strokes I suffered a couple of years ago. I have found that I seem to work well with MontBlanc 149, the Waterman Edson, the Pelikan M1000, and the Delta Dolce Vita Oversize. For writing short notes, etc., I use the Lamy 2000.

Indian ebonite pens are very nice. I just ordered a custom Ranga #3 with 14mm section and #6 JoWo c/c nib unit from user mpkandan. Even after nibmeister you end up paying relatively little.

Danitrio Dani Cum Laude is another relatively inexpensive choice.

Pilot Vanishing Point could be nice for quick notes.

Delta Roma Imperiale is a bit more subdued oversize than most Delta's.

Edited by j.a.j.

Non notisi signi.

If you are lucky (best order two) - the Jinhao 159 is a very nice pen. I first got one with some issues, but the other one I tried is perfectly alligned. You have the benefit of a very thick section.

Outside our world of fp, I've often heard the Dr. Pen line of bp and mp from Pilot are very good. Pentel may also have something of this sort. Its not just the overall diameter; these have a somewhat softer grip plus a flare dimensionally to make them easier to hold.

Here is a link that will show what I am talking about:

http://www.staples.com/Pilot-reg-Dr-Grip-reg-LTD-Retractable-Gel-Ink-Pen-Fine-Point-Black-Each/product_451077

Sorry but I don't know of any fp which are quite like this. Nagging the back of my mind is another line of pens with a soft grip but I can't remember who they were and I don't think they included a fp.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I too have a form of arthritis that means I prefer to use larger pens for everyday writing. I have found the Indian ebonite pens to be perfect for this. They are light but pens such as the Deccan Advocate are large enough for me to comfortably hold. I note that it is now possible to get these pens fitted with Jowo nib units so they can accomodate converters. I own a Nakaya desk pen stand and this comfortably holds most of my Indian ebonite pens so I don't have to recap if using the pen for note taking.

I have some hand things going on too. The Jinhao, while large, is also heavy. I can't do it.

Consider a Bexley Americana or Poseidon Magnum, or an Aurora Optima.

One place you can check barrel width: http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

Much Love--Virginia

As a fellow sufferer, let me recommend the Gama Brahmaputra. Handmade ebonite about the size of an MB 149, JoWo nib and converter, about $65 shipped.

Edited to add illustrations

post-79707-0-35568300-1418132873_thumb.jpg

post-79707-0-58107200-1418132889_thumb.jpg

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Size is but one factor and the shape of the section as well weight and balance will be critical.

A concave section will usually be better than a flat section.

A balanced pen will usually better that an top or bottom heavy pen.

Weight comes in only when the pen is not balanced. If properly balanced even a very heavy pen will be comfortable to use over extended periods.

A non slippery section is a must. Plastic, Sterling silver, hard rubber and celluloid are easier to hold than steel or plated surfaces.

My Website

+1 on the Gama. Good large section and with Jowo nibs, nothing really to go wrong. You want to go even bigger, the Gama Supreme is also a choice.

A lifelong FP user...

Actually the Japanese Jumbo pens are quite good for arthritis. If you have never tried one (maybe you are judging only by photos) it doesn't hurt to spend $20 for getting one.

If you are willing to spend $300 to $700 I suggest you contact one of those many penmakers here on the forum, tell them your preferred specifications (length, girth, section (long and concave), weight and balance...) and get a pen that is really made like you need it. I can't think of a better way to spend this much money - you have a special need and a special service is what you get.

Greetings,

Michael

Delta piston fillers (8 of the ChatterleyLuxuries stubs in my collection)

CS Churchills

Visconti's power fillers

MB149

Sailor KOP

Omas piston fillers

Fat, gliding nibs & balance make all the difference

Outside our world of fp, I've often heard the Dr. Pen line of bp and mp from Pilot are very good. Pentel may also have something of this sort. Its not just the overall diameter; these have a somewhat softer grip plus a flare dimensionally to make them easier to hold.

Here is a link that will show what I am talking about:

http://www.staples.com/Pilot-reg-Dr-Grip-reg-LTD-Retractable-Gel-Ink-Pen-Fine-Point-Black-Each/product_451077

Sorry but I don't know of any fp which are quite like this. Nagging the back of my mind is another line of pens with a soft grip but I can't remember who they were and I don't think they included a fp.

I think you may be remembering the Sensa pens with the soft gel sections. I had one as a fp and gave it to my daughter. I think the stopped making them 6 years ago or so.

I second the idea for a custom pen. Lots of makers here and you can get exactly what you desire.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I think you may be remembering the Sensa pens with the soft gel sections. I had one as a fp and gave it to my daughter. I think the stopped making them 6 years ago or so.

I second the idea for a custom pen. Lots of makers here and you can get exactly what you desire.

Yes, Sensa is what I was thinking about. At least in bp and rb they seem to still be available; do a Google or check Amazon.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Below the OP's price range, but big fat pens I find very comfortable, are the Laban Mentos. Steel nibs, nothing to write home about until you take them to a nibmeister... I have one absolute cracker!

+1 for the suggestion of Edison Collier. Nicely fat.

Indian ebonites offer real bang per buck. I don't know anyone who has put a gold nib in an Indian ebonite but it's obviously possible. Deccan's larger pens, (going on memory here, Advocate and Masterpiece) spring to mind as excellent pens all round. Again, they are nice light pens - lighter than the much slimmer Cross pens I used to use a lot.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/