• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• ARVA

• KBeezie

• OcalaFlGuy

Yeah, it just wasn't worth the fuss and expense to warranty. I wonder if there have been other 'innovations' that were just as financially detrimental.

Probably some filling systems in the 1890s we've never heard of because they inked too many pockets and disappeared without a trace......

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

By the way I just found a website, that repair nibs with a T1 nib BEFORE and AFTER picture. I contacted them and they told me that they already straightened and retipped 3 Parker T1 nibs.

Titanium is an interesting material. At one time everyone was striving to use it especially in the bicycle industry. In the end it's use has fallen off (probably because of the advent of carbon fibre). I believe that the chinese still use it on bikes. I think the fact that the T-1 was only made for a year tells it all. Failure without warning is not something one wants on a pen (or a bike).

I ride a Ti bike. my second in 20+ years. I sold the first one, it and my current bike are still going strong, and that is saying something because I am a heavy load and not very careful with the equipmenrt. Ti as a frame material has been eclipsed by carbon fiber as has been suggsted, NOT because of the failure risk of Ti but becase CF is so much lighter, and the ride characteristics can be 'tuned' . You won't find many people aboatd 25 YO CF bikes, partly because there were not many available 25 years ago and partly out of fear of the CF material failing without warning. A Ti frame can take a hit and keep going wiih relatively little risk of catastrophic failuere where as CF can hide it's damage and ride away but is more likely (than Ti) to fail days, weeks, or even years later.

By the way I just found a website, that repair nibs with a T1 nib BEFORE and AFTER picture. I contacted them and they told me that they already straightened and retipped 3 Parker T1 nibs.

Toltcha so.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Here is the link: http://www.goldnibs.com/portfolio-category/nibs/#pfolio/2879

Maybe I should start a new topic "They can retip the titanium Parker T1" to give it a better exposure.

Could this be the answer for many broken T1s?

I took a few minutes and looked at some of the nib pictures. Most seem to have an odd shape to them. Just my opinion. It also appears that the T1 nib was straightened not retipped.

I also noticed a picture of a 'repaired' Parker 51 Music nib with before and after photo. Not sure about that one...Parker didn't make such a nib, though others have.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I ride a Ti bike. my second in 20+ years. I sold the first one, it and my current bike are still going strong, and that is saying something because I am a heavy load and not very careful with the equipmenrt. Ti as a frame material has been eclipsed by carbon fiber as has been suggsted, NOT because of the failure risk of Ti but becase CF is so much lighter, and the ride characteristics can be 'tuned' . You won't find many people aboatd 25 YO CF bikes, partly because there were not many available 25 years ago and partly out of fear of the CF material failing without warning. A Ti frame can take a hit and keep going wiih relatively little risk of catastrophic failuere where as CF can hide it's damage and ride away but is more likely (than Ti) to fail days, weeks, or even years later.

I have some Campagnolo Ti components still going strong since 1982 so, yes, Ti is great for some applications but probably not for nibs. I am not a great fan of CF but I do tend to "live in the past" :)

Peter

It means that there were other variations also, with and without breather hole not just the different finishes.

Even if the nib is in great condition, it does not have the box and papersbut asks 850? And the other one 650 ??? What is happening with these prices?

It's a Parker T-1!!!!

People are paying these prices because of its "rarity" (produced for one year only)

I paid $295 AUD for mine about 5-6 years ago and I had to think twice about it, I would hate to be in the market for one now.

Although- I have a thing for rare pens so I probably would get one today and suffer the consequences (the wife)