Unusual Parker T-1

ARVA

If Ralph Prather can make whole 51's out of Ti and Stipula (?) can manage to tip Ti tines to beat the band, I Refuse to believe

this can't be repaired.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Parker did something that made the tips rather brittle. I don't know what but the tipping really does just fall off. I suspect the fusing process to put the tip on was not done in an inert (enough) atmosphere. One could if one was interested in it, one could look at the metallurgy as a function of composition through the weld and I expect the problem would be obvious.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• ARVA

• KBeezie

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't a good nibmeister fix that while staying away from the tipping?

(Silly C-worders, having a pronged nib fixed on a pen they'll never write with. ;) )

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I don't know of any nibmeister that would work on an integrated titanium nib. Also I thought one of the major faults to the T1 was that there was no warning signs for when the titanium would either just snap or the tipping just falls off.

I don't know of any nibmeister that would work on an integrated titanium nib. Also I thought one of the major faults to the T1 was that there was no warning signs for when the titanium would either just snap or the tipping just falls off.

Titanium is an interesting material. At one time everyone was striving to use it especially in the bicycle industry. In the end it's use has fallen off (probably because of the advent of carbon fibre). I believe that the chinese still use it on bikes. I think the fact that the T-1 was only made for a year tells it all. Failure without warning is not something one wants on a pen (or a bike).

Peter

Wow, so many replies! It was interesting to read. Are you all T1 owners?

I suppose with a new cap inner clutch and 75 nib section one could turn it into a 75 Titanium.

My T1 is also on its way, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

So is it possible to swap the 75 barrel and cap with the T1?

My T1 is also on its way, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

So is it possible to swap the 75 barrel and cap with the T1?

Yes and no.

The 75 nib section will fit into the T-1 barrel. The T-1 cap, however, is retained on the pen by small lugs rather than the inner sleeve of the 75 cap. You could change the inner sleeve and you would then have, in effect, a 75 titanium.

But only do any of that if the T-1 nib section is damaged as the T-1 is a VERY rare beast.

Peter

The two photos do not show T1s of the same finish? One is brushed, the other is shiny. I recall T1s come in two different finishes. Anyhow, the breather hole should be on both pens.

Wish I could afford one :P

I'd certainly like to least be able to hold one eventually, kind of get the experience of having tried something made of titanium, but for now I'll settle for this:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/murex/full.jpg

The two photos do not show T1s of the same finish? One is brushed, the other is shiny. I recall T1s come in two different finishes. Anyhow, the breather hole should be on both pens.

Yes the early ones came with a brushed finish. There was also a prototype in stainless steel.

Peter

Wish I could afford one :P

I'd certainly like to least be able to hold one eventually, kind of get the experience of having tried something made of titanium, but for now I'll settle for this:

Well if you hurry you've got about 20 minutes to stump up £557 for the one on ebay :lol:

Peter

*Gasp* Only 556 Pounds? :D

You are in luck. The pen failed to reach it's reserve and has been relisted for another 6 days. Still at £557 ($875).

Peter

Yes and no.

The 75 nib section will fit into the T-1 barrel. The T-1 cap, however, is retained on the pen by small lugs rather than the inner sleeve of the 75 cap. You could change the inner sleeve and you would then have, in effect, a 75 titanium.

But only do any of that if the T-1 nib section is damaged as the T-1 is a VERY rare beast.

I understand, I will leave it as it is if it needs modifications. I do not intend to do any harm to a working pen.

However I was quite surprised that the pen on ebay at the highest bid of 472$ did not reached the reserved price, it means that the amount what I paid for one was extremely low (like a sumgai or how do you call it)

When I read that there were 104.000 produced, it does not sound like a really rare pen.

I understand, I will leave it as it is if it needs modifications. I do not intend to do any harm to a working pen.

However I was quite surprised that the pen on ebay at the highest bid of 472$ did not reached the reserved price, it means that the amount what I paid for one was extremely low (like a sumgai or how do you call it)

When I read that there were 104.000 produced, it does not sound like a really rare pen.

Well done on your purchase. I am not too sure that that figure of 104,000 is correct, it seems very high for a pen that was withdrawn after less than a year. Someone may know the answer, thats one of the greats about FPN.

Peter

I took the numbers from parkerpens.

But I agree with you 104.000 seems too much.

If we take in consideration numbers produced of the limited Parker 75s like the RMS Queen Elizabeth (5.000), Spanish treasure (4800) there are 20x more Parker T1 but the price difference between them is not that big.

I have looked at parkerpens.com and I am still not sure about that number. David Nishimura says that the T-1 was "Not made as a limited edition, but made in very limited numbers" I don't see 104,000 as very limited numbers but who knows?

Peter

It's been relisted.

Always admired these pens, but also heard stories of the nibs being irrepairable due to titanium construction?

These pens got me interested in the integrated nib design. (I ended up with a MYU701)

I understand the breather hole confusion, and I'm not experienced with this model - but the listing looks pretty good to me.

Nib looks nice, if a bit 'wavy' near the tipping? If it's unused, I'd question how this is the case? Damage?

Good luck.

ETA: Oops, just realised the whole relisting thing has already been covered in this thread.

Edited by CS388

One of the functions of a hole at the base of the tines is stress relief. Without that, a slit has a tendency to travel, and when you have a material that is notoriously subject to bending/cracking, that may be a recipe for disaster if anyone uses that pen.

Does anyone know if the prototypes lacked the hole? I wonder if it could be a very early version....but then the stainless prototype on the Parker 75 site has the hole, so.....?

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

One of the functions of a hole at the base of the tines is stress relief. Without that, a slit has a tendency to travel, and when you have a material that is notoriously subject to bending/cracking, that may be a recipe for disaster if anyone uses that pen.

Does anyone know if the prototypes lacked the hole? I wonder if it could be a very early version....but then the stainless prototype on the Parker 75 site has the hole, so.....?

As far as I'm aware the prototypes had the hole (but someone out there is probably better informed than I).

As far as the stress point is concerned all Bock supplied nibs for Conway Stewart had no hole. Interesting.

Peter