• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

• Sinistral1

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Callifolio doesn't ship to China though... :( And Kingdom Note... I tried ordering from the site but they need an address in Japan. I can't even use a shipping company based in Japan to redirect it to me, because it's written on their website that they won't accept non-Japanese credit cards and will cancel orders paid with non JP credit cards...

I don't know about all of them, but Callifolio and Kingdom Note/Bung Box/other Sailors are definitely readily available. In fact, there are links in my signature and details instructions on how to get them. In my opinion, if you can send one email or fill in a simple form,and get the inks shipped to your house no matter where you live, then I consider them readily available to everyone.

Callifolio doesn't require an email, you can just add them to a cart from their website and then buy them, just like any other online store. The Sailor inks are available either on ebay, or through an ebay vendor (which only requires an email), or through WRE (which requires an online form). They are expensive, but available. And Sweet Potato Purple is available seasonally, so I don't think it belongs in the not readily available area. It's not available until September, but it's not like the ink is gone forever or not yet on the market.

+1

Took me three days and only after picking Sinistral1's brain and then sending a couple of dodgy ebay communications was I able to get hold of some Sailor Ishida Hakodate Gagome ink.

As someone who's never bought one of these fabled inks before, I worked hard to obtain a purchase . . .

While I certainly know my way around a computer and the internet, not everyone has the same access or equipment/software to make ordering the inks on all non-English web sites "easy" or "simple". Plus, some elements of finding an ink can be insider info - like CoolJapan being able to get inks that are not listed on his website, and using Saskia's signature info. BTW, the info Saskia has available is a great tool for using in the hunt for sly and bashful inks everywhere!

Perhaps there could be a pinned thread with instructions on how to navigate the process for those who need a little help.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I'm happy to pin the thread if that's what people want. I'm also happy to edit it if people want different information in there! Just let me know. :)

I do disagree though about the software or equipment required. I've been ordering these using only email and access to one extra website. Anyone with a computer can email (that's all atsu needs), or copy and paste a link to an url (that has pictures of the ink bottle) and press the send button ... which is all WRE needs.

So... I thought it was decided that Callifolio inks are RCA... (It looks like pretty much everyone here is in agreement)

If that is the case.. Why are there Callifolio reviews in the Hard Hat Forum?

Using the same logic as the Indian Inks... millions of French people can easily obtain Callifolio ink..

...if an ink is readily available to every person in one country, we shouldn't discount it.

I can honestly see a big problem here.. I really don't want to search across different forums for a review of a specific ink.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Callifolio was the first to move, before I decided we should have a open forum discussion about the definition. As I mentioned to you, Cyber6 in a PM, the posts had been moved. They would need to be moved back.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi,

IMHO, the most important thing is that the indexing of Ink Reviews and Ink Comparisons Scans & Tests be maintained at a high level which includes lower level Fora.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Callifolio was the first to move, before I decided we should have a open forum discussion about the definition. As I mentioned to you, Cyber6 in a PM, the posts had been moved. They would need to be moved back.

Oops sorry... I must have skipped that post..

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Hi,

IMHO, the most important thing is that the indexing of Ink Reviews and Ink Comparisons Scans & Tests be maintained at a high level which includes lower level Fora.

Bye,

S1

You are right... the most efficient way to find an ink should be to look in the Ink Reviews Index.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Okay, I'll be the Luddite here and confess that to me, as someone who can't figure out Google translater, the Callifolio website has utterly defeated me on the numerous occasions I have tried to order from it. So, since I have an iPhone 4s and a work computer that blocks all non work related activity and a home computer that doesn't (apparently) have Google translation software, what can I do?

Please don't assume it's me being stupid about what to do - it's more about my non access to high end Internet compatable electronic devises. I can't be the only person in this situation. Oh, and none of the emails I have sent over that last year were ever answered. :)

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Can we perhaps limit it to those inks not currently being made?

e.g.

Thistle Powdered Ink

Angus Powdered Ink

Parker Penman Series

Parker 51 Series

Diamine Webster Blue Black (iron gall)

Webster Enidama Blue Black

Sheaffer Peacock Blue?

etc.

I am assuming we are talking about inks that were commercially made, not stuff we can cook up in our kitchens using steel wool, tea leaves, logwood, acorns, oak galls, squirrel fewmets, squid ink, over-ripe cherries, or any combination of those.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Stuff we can brew up - Still goes in inky recipes.

Just to clarify what I think you are saying (and I could be wrong), inks that are no longer being made should be considered not RCA?

So, Peacock Blue, along with Penman Saphire would go in ThInking Outside of the Bottle?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Stuff we can brew up - Still goes in inky recipes.

Just to clarify what I think you are saying (and I could be wrong), inks that are no longer being made should be considered not RCA?

So, Peacock Blue, along with Penman Saphire would go in ThInking Outside of the Bottle?

Yes, just because you can find a vintage bottle of something on eBay doesn't mean that it is readily commercially available. Stuff that is being made must be, by definition, RCA, because somebody, somewhere is buying enough of it to encourage the manufacturer to keep making it.

PS, I think you may have missed my comment about squirrel fewmets...

Also, if substantial amounts of my Penman Sapphire were to find itself outside of the bottle, thinking or not, and not in a pen, I would be seriously disturbed. Also micturated off.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Also micturated off.

That's almost as good as some of the phrases I just taught my children. This will no doubt make their lexicon.

So, the Hard Hat area is not just for inks that are tests inks - it's for reviews of inks made by new ink companies and old ink companies that are not readily commercially available. AND Hard Hat is for group reviews, Co-Razy-Views, Co-Reviews are multi person comparisons.

What does "Not Readily Commercially Available" mean? Can it be purchased in stores?

Easily obtainable (in no particular order):

• Aurora
  • Private Reserve
  • Noodler's
  • S.T. Dupont
  • Diamine
  • De Atramentis
  • J. Herbin
  • Pelikan
  • Cara d'Ache
  • Mont Blanc
  • Duke
  • Hero
  • Chesterfield
  • Camlin
  • Bril
  • Chelpark
  • Pilot
  • Iroshizuku
  • Rohrer & Klingner
  • Visconti
  • Sailor

Some examples of inks not readily commercially avaialable:

• Thistle ink was easily obtainable a hundred years ago - today, it's scarce. Thistle reviews go here.
  • KWZI / Blackstone / Susemai inks are not available in any retail stores at this time - so, the reviews go here.
  • Diamine powdered ink - gee, that hasn't been made in 60+ years - probably better put it here.
  • Diamine ink made for Conway Stewart (or Akkerman), that goes in Ink Reviews UNLESS it a Co-Review or Group Review.
So, what about these inks - let's hear some feedback are these inks "Readily Commercially Available," and why or why not?

• Callifolio
  • Standardgraph
  • Rubinato
  • Akkerman
  • Kingdom's Note
  • Bung Box
  • ESSRI

How about a vintage or NOS ink no longer being made, like Rotring?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Okay, so you are suggesting the rule should be:

at the time of review, the ink could easily be purchased online at MSRP.

This means that inks no longer in production at the time of the review would be in "the Bottle".

The Bottle - Inside, Outside or Beyond would be commercial test inks, not yet for sale inks, no longer available inks?

I couldn't figure out how to order the Rubinato. Could someone explain the process to me? It doesn't seem that you can order from the site.

Hi (again)

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the notion of grouping inks according to availability - there's just too much grey area. e.g. LE inks from Montblanc, Pen Show specials. Also such may depend on where a person resides. And then there's the entire line of inks from Organics Studio that looked to me like they were a going concern, but are in abeyance. (I am amongst those eagerly awaiting their return.)

The division between the Ink Review Forum and the ICS&T Forum is at times vague, not so much because of an original post that is about one ink, but according to the Replies from other Members during the life of the Topic. So even the idea of dividing Members' contributions about one ink into yet another division according to extent/detail of the contribution, or manner of preparation/presentation of results seems a step too far. (My ESSRI Review would now be a Group Review.)

For the IRs I posted for inks that are no longer available, I'm thinking of adding 'discontinued' to the Swab sample image. Ditto for inks that were reformulated, but retain the same name, such as Monteverde Brown, Noodler's 41 Brown.

Once again, I think the key is the Index, where the type of Review and availability/status can be appended. Also, the Mods should look into modifying the Topic Title text of inks that were discontinued: Is it possible to add 'reformulated' or 'discontinued'?

I suppose I like the simplicity of the two Fora, IRs & ICS&Ts. If what I'm looking for isn't one Forum, then it is in the other. Otherwise a person can troll the entire FPN site using a web search engine.

(I'm bound for the Land of Nod just now.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.