What's Your Favorite Fountain Pen Accessory?

Sky Fountain Pens

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• Cepasaccus

• inkstainedruth

• sargetalon

Believe my favorite pen accessory might be my pen wraps. Years ago, there were two ladies who provided these beautiful pen wraps here on the Network. You actually connected with one of them and the other did the actualy producing of the pen wraps. The patterns were various and beautiful. I was able to acquire five or six of them. I can use one, which hold just two pens up to one which holds eight. They make carrying my pens, or just keepting them safe and handy as much joy as actually selecting what pen I am going to write with next.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I could not have answered this yesterday, but I had a sleepless night and, in the middle of the night, I was pondering how to keep a filled fountain pen ready to use on my desk. I got a block of foam (the kind used to customize tool storage) and nipped out a pen shaped hole in the center with a small pair of scissors. Took five minutes. Does not look elegant, but, by golly, it will not scratch a fine pen, plus the pen can be stored nib up (no leaks) or nib down (to charge the fins and nib). Lots of pretty pen holders and pen racks out there (for a price), but they are wood or metal or ceramic AND THEY SCRATCH. I've got a couple of antique ones--very pretty--but who wants an expensive pen with a scratched finish. Because I sew I have also made pen rolls out of scraps of felt and these work splendidly--same reason--they don't scratch.

This is my favorite, a quilted pen wrap Mrs. Bookman made for me a few years ago when I took these photos. The main fabric has phrases from the U.S. Constitution on it. I've used this wrap so much the ties wore thin where I knot them, and so they had to be replaced with stronger material.

fpn_1419565435__pen-wrap-1w.jpg

fpn_1419565502__pen-wrap-4w.jpg

Looks like something she could sell!

Your pen wrap is absolutely beautiful. I am also a fan of pen wraps. The utility of it to me secondary to the design on the fabric. Love that you have used it so much they had to replace the strap. Nice design. :wub:

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

What kind of paper? Do you like Rhodia? Clairfontaine? The elusive sometimes Tomoe? What would you say is you favorite paper?

I do use Clairfontaine, Leuchtturm and Rhodia. Favorite? Clairfontaine is a bit to smooth for me, but I like their spiral bound A5 books for notes, because they have many sheets and no useless thick cover. From Leuchtturm and Rhodia I like the paper more, but they don't have the spiral bound books like Clairfontaine. So it's difficult.

You have a nice selection of favorites. I only like unlined or blank paper so I kind of have less choice. I like the rhodia you mentioned, but not the fact it comes only in that top staple version. I like the way it takes to fountain pens, but not the fact you need to wait until the ink dries or it smears. I like the Clairfontaine, but also feels kind of the same as Rhodia. The Rhodia I might add, I like the version which is not white and unlined. Leuchtturm, I have seen, but have not investigated whether they carry a version which has no lines. I am still searching for my favorite I guess.

Edited by fountainpenlady

From all these I also use only unlined paper. My aprox. A4 book from Rhodia is most yellowish of these. The cover has a nice feel. From Leuchtturm I have aprox. A5 stuff, a normally bound book and one where of the pages. The color is between Rhodia and Clairfontaine, which is bright white. If I had free choice of paper for the spiral bound books, I would probably take Leuchtturm.

Rhodia has come out with a top spiral, not yet in the unlined version though. Many places will carry graph, or the lined and not carry the unlined version. There is something called Kraft Moleskine. They have the pocket in the back, yet they are not very fountain pen friendly though; they are similar to the Rhodia with the choice of page formats. Fountain pens tend to bleed on them and ghost.

Moleskin gets not under my pens anymore! Been there. Done that.

I have tried a couple of times. Several years back, I perhaps did not mind. I used them to journal write regardless of the flaws mentioned. Recently, I had two of them, abandoned them both because I just could not deal with the way they felt when I used any of my fountain pens. So I agree with you.

Edited by fountainpenlady

An ultrasonic cleaner. I bought a cheap (<$30) one years ago and it is responsible for keeping my pens writing.

Doug

I agree, the Duluth Pack haversack is the perfect accessory for a fp. It has a place for pens, journals, a small notepad, a book or e reader, and a tablet. vinper

I assume that you mean the mini haversack, not the genuine canoe haversack.

I've used the deluxe shell bag for years to carry a sketchbook, pencils, pens, and the odd eraser or two.