Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Violet - Purple - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

17 hours ago, pgcauk said:

So, now I have way too many violets enpenned, I have to sort them into some kind of order! I had to jettison a couple of old favorites to add a couple of "outside my comfort zone" colors at the ends, but there's nothing wrong with pushing your boundaries?

I like that if you turn this sideways it looks like "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"!

Very Hungry Caterpillar Transition.jpg

Looks like you have them in light spectrum order, which works well for me!

I've just started doing a swatch card kind of thing for all my inks but without cards in a Midori planner, which has pages nicely sectioned into 4 parts, each of which are great sizes to dedicate to each ink. (I started it with Stone Road & Ochiguriiro for you but, sorry, I didn't get far ... Maybe soon.) Anyway, I didn't want to do a boring swatch, like many do, and making a little hungry caterpillar for each, instead, seems like it would be brilliant!

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

I find it disturbing!

I am used to violets breaking down into some combination of blues and pinks, with maybe some tasteful grey, but the combination of bright green with magenta in #650 is a bit of a shocker; not a gentle blend!

However, the rinse water from the same ink is a glorious royal, so more investigations to be done with dilution on this one, but I'm personally not looking to use it for ink and wash!

I've never actually had an acid trip but it makes me think that's how it might start out looking!

2 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Looks like you have them in light spectrum order, which works well for me!

I see the descent of spirit into blood!

On 10/4/2021 at 9:35 AM, pgcauk said:

This is fascinating, thank you!

I like to think of violet as a real thing, but with many violet inks it feels as though rather than being an identity, there's a squabble going on between a blue and a pink. This can be fascinating, or frustrating, according to a number of factors. I was fascinated to discover that with a couple of the Birmingham inks, Lilac Wind and Violet Starling, which appear functionally identical in writing, if you add a wash, one has a blue base with a pink overtone, and in the other this is reversed!

My Sydney Lavender seems to have greyed with age? Will check back and report.

And I do not believe Barossa Grape and Claret are anywhere near similar as colors, but Mountains of Ink shows them near identical?!

Violet *is* a real thing, at least on the actual visible light spectrum. Purple is sort of an impossibility on the light spectrum and is necessarily a mix. 

Let's start talking about indigo!

3 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

I've never actually had an acid trip but it makes me think that's how it might start out looking!

Absolutely, as long as you don't hold that that's some kind of trickery or illusion. I'm not an expert but my notion is that hallucinogens are just a shortcut back to where art training should be able to take us anyway, which is back to the realm of "pure perception", shaking us free from our conventions and habits of thought.

Color theory is all very interesting, but, as with economics or pschology, I'm not convinced that it's anywhere near describing what's actually going on yet!!

On 10/4/2021 at 9:35 AM, pgcauk said:

And I do not believe Barossa Grape and Claret are anywhere near similar as colors, but Mountains of Ink shows them near identical?!

There's seems to be two versions of Barossa, one red-leaning, the other blue-leaning. Mine looks like the one at Mtn of Ink and @ENewton reports a blue-leaning one.

I got a sample of it and, while the version I have is definitely not the same as Scabiosa, it felt similar enough to me that I took Barossa off my 'to buy' list. Now, if I saw the blue-leaning one, I would probably feel different about it, of course.

3 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Violet *is* a real thing, at least on the actual visible light spectrum. Purple is sort of an impossibility on the light spectrum and is necessarily a mix. 

There's a good argument that, as seen through a prism (or in the pool or hot-tub!) blue-violet is the trailing edge of the light, yellow-red is the leading edge.

Did you catch my four-way color circle below the hungry caterpillar?

Yellow vs Purple as Light vs Dark

90° from:

Red vs Blue as Warm vs Cool

Newton's presentation to the Royal Society did not go well, apparently, and the cover art for "Dark Side Of The Moon", might be masterful graphics, but it's a scientific no-no!

Just now, pgcauk said:

Newton's presentation to the Royal Society did not go well, apparently

That's Sir Isaac, the old fraud, not our own dear Enewton, who I would trust implicilly!

6 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Absolutely, as long as you don't hold that that's some kind of trickery or illusion. I'm not an expert but my notion is that hallucinogens are just a shortcut back to where art training should be able to take us anyway, which is back to the realm of "pure perception", shaking us free from our conventions and habits of thought.

I absolutely understand what you are writing about. I am out of practice now but I was a pretty accomplished samatha & vipassana meditator and, while not with vision, I got to the point to where I could hear sounds as they really are for 10-15 minutes at a time, even after I was done sitting in meditation. Being in the woods - or anywhere, really - hearing every sound simultaneously, unfiltered by the brain is quite an experience - very, very different from normal experience and very beautiful in its own way.

The 'outside' world exists but our perception of it is created by the mind as it contacts the world through the senses!

Marvelous! Thanks PithyP, that's it in a nutshell and very clearly put! I think you can skip the hallucinogens now!

I have been enjoying these experiences with color so much precisely because our developed vocabulary is so clearly inadequate to the richness of the experience - so why cling to the inadequate? We don't question this when we listen to music, but with other perceptions we seem to like to think we know what's going on - bloomin' egotists!

36 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

I see the descent of spirit into blood!

That works for me too!

22 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Did you catch my four-way color circle below the hungry caterpillar?

Yellow vs Purple as Light vs Dark

90° from:

Red vs Blue as Warm vs Cool

Yes, I did. I also saw the caterpillar as a spectrum of relative coolness to warmness.

But before that it was relative stillness to movement. In Buddhism stillness and calm is associated with coolness. 

11 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

But before that it was relative stillness to movement.

Nice! For me "Spirit to blood" is another way of saying "Detachment to activity".

Oh, I should show you my "Phosphorus, Carbon, Sulpher" drawing - I stole it from a Chemistry book but it's really good:

Nervous System: "I am not you!"

Metabolic System: "I will transform you into what I need!"

Rhythmic System: "How do I relate to you, and you relate to me?"

I live in the USA. Our nerves and metabolism are both strong, but the rhythmic system needs development!

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

I am NOT LOOKING!

We could describe them for you. In great detail. :D

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Thank you Pithy! I like what I see there, with the broad nib especially. I like both the component inks so liking their offspring makes sense. I did try this once but somehow ended up with a blue-black that was less than the sum of its parts, but I shall head back into the laboratory. 

I do keep a Salix pen on hand for legal paperwork, envelopes and signatures etc. but no harm for this to keep its properties but gain a little charisma?

21 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Thank you Pithy! I like what I see there, with the broad nib especially. I like both the component inks so liking their offspring makes sense. I did try this once but somehow ended up with a blue-black that was less than the sum of its parts, but I shall head back into the laboratory. 

I do keep a Salix pen on hand for legal paperwork, envelopes and signatures etc. but no harm for this to keep its properties but gain a little charisma?

In the Pilot with the SF nib it is a nice, soft look that's still very legible but I think it could still use a wetter pen.

Hope you have some success with it this time and, if you do, I'd love to see the result, of course.

No measurement yet as I didn't know how much Salix was left in the barrel, I just added 1ml of Scabiosa and can adjust from there. I already am fond of both parent inks, but I have always wished I could 'fix' the color of fresh Scabiosa. For a random mix this is already looking pretty tasty? Scan is as useless as always with violets; above is Salix, below is Scabiosa with the text and the stripe on the side in the hybrid, which in person is a rather pleasing "Iris".

Saliosa.jpg

ps - I have always wondered where the name 'Salix' came from for this pretty Pale Grey-Blue. My personal theory is that rather than denoting a dye-color, it is named for its resemblance to the color of "Willow Pattern" China?

11 hours ago, pgcauk said:

No measurement yet as I didn't know how much Salix was left in the barrel, I just added 1ml of Scabiosa and can adjust from there. I already am fond of both parent inks, but I have always wished I could 'fix' the color of fresh Scabiosa. For a random mix this is already looking pretty tasty? Scan is as useless as always with violets; above is Salix, below is Scabiosa with the text and the stripe on the side in the hybrid, which in person is a rather pleasing "Iris".

Saliosa.jpg

ps - I have always wondered where the name 'Salix' came from for this pretty Pale Grey-Blue. My personal theory is that rather than denoting a dye-color, it is named for its resemblance to the color of "Willow Pattern" China?

Thanks - nice!

Yours looks darker overall (?) but I recall vaguely recall you writing something about your Scabiosa having aged darker, if I remember correctly. Shading amplitude looks pretty high, if consistent? I might try mixing different proportions - I think it is worth pursuing with these two great ink siblings.

You may be on to something with the blue-and-white china connection.