Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Violet - Purple - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

On 10/3/2021 at 1:26 AM, pgcauk said:

I have and respect Chu Shu as a color, but whenever I ink a pen with it everything seems very solemn and somber.

I'm not surprised. It'd be difficult for the grey in Sailor Shikiori Chushu not to overwhelmingly dominate, whereas with Robert Oster Sydney Lavender, which can surprisingly render as bluish grey and looking close to Chushu out of a fine nib, will exhibit different hues if the paper used is somewhat absorbant and the marks are wet enough (i.e. with enough solvent deposited such that they don't all dry instantly) to allow separation of the dyes.

large.1426147478_Chromatograms-RobertOsterSydneyLavendervsSailorShikioriChushu.jpg.c3906eaa33ed3be343b6fbda39c60592.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is fascinating, thank you!

I like to think of violet as a real thing, but with many violet inks it feels as though rather than being an identity, there's a squabble going on between a blue and a pink. This can be fascinating, or frustrating, according to a number of factors. I was fascinated to discover that with a couple of the Birmingham inks, Lilac Wind and Violet Starling, which appear functionally identical in writing, if you add a wash, one has a blue base with a pink overtone, and in the other this is reversed!

My Sydney Lavender seems to have greyed with age? Will check back and report.

And I do not believe Barossa Grape and Claret are anywhere near similar as colors, but Mountains of Ink shows them near identical?!

11 hours ago, pgcauk said:

And I do not believe Barossa Grape and Claret are anywhere near similar as colors, but Mountains of Ink shows them near identical?!

Barossa Grape is highly variable in its appearance, depending on the nib, the paper, and perhaps also the batch of ink.  PithyProlix has a sample that leans toward red, while my sample and bottle don't do so at all.  My bottle, like the sample I had some years ago, produces results resembling the photographs in this review:

In fact, one of my primary criteria for a 2022 planner has been that Barossa Grape should look recognizably purple in it, rather than blue grey.

Right now I have pens inked with Barossa Grape, Scabiosa, Poussiere de Lune, and Diamine Grape.  I have tried and failed to get a photograph that represents the colors accurately, but if you send me your address in a private message, I will happily send you a letter on which you can see these four inks compared.  You will observe that Barossa Grape is the obvious outlier among them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 7:07 AM, ENewton said:

Right now I have pens inked with Barossa Grape, Scabiosa, Poussiere de Lune, and Diamine Grape.  I have tried and failed to get a photograph that represents the colors accurately, but if you send me your address in a private message, I will happily send you a letter on which you can see these four inks compared.  You will observe that Barossa Grape is the obvious outlier among them.

I'd love to see the comparison!  I'd even love to see the photos.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I will ask Philip whether he still has the letter.  In addition to the inks mentioned above, it includes my favorite, Kobe Suma Purple, and Soft Snow of Ohara.  If he has it, I will ask him whether he would be willing to take a photograph; he does a much better job than I do.  If not, I will send you a letter, except that it won't include Scabiosa, because I just emptied the bottle.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:46 PM, amberleadavis said:

Philip (@pgcauk) was kind enough to scan what I sent him.  To my eye, the color differences are more apparent when one enlarges the image.  I also have a letter ready to mail to you, but alas I have misplaced your mailing address.

576708644_EdithsViolets.jpg.6b9168f5a4a7c44e82260123276b007e.jpeg

4 hours ago, ENewton said:

Philip (@pgcauk) was kind enough to scan what I sent him.  To my eye, the color differences are more apparent when one enlarges the image.  I also have a letter ready to mail to you, but alas I have misplaced your mailing address.

576708644_EdithsViolets.jpg.6b9168f5a4a7c44e82260123276b007e.jpeg

Thanks for posting this.

As I wrote before, my sample of Barossa Grape is fairly close to Scabiosa and, seeing it here, the difference between yours and mine is striking. (I really want Soft Snow of Ohara!) 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Adding Ink Studio #650 to the mix - I think I'm going to enjoy this one . . . . but all of them!!

Ink Studio 650 Adjacent.jpg

nb Purple does not scan! The Lilac Night is almost stone mauve! All we have here are relative values!

Oh, and here is how ENewton provoked me! No spoilers, she should have these in the mail by now?

Four Starlings.jpg

Notes:

The Diamine has the best "properties"

The Callifolio is a lovely watercolor violet grey

The Birmingham Inks are the Birmingham Inks . . . but that "Starling" is close to my grail as a hue?! 

2 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Oh, and here is how ENewton provoked me! No spoilers, she should have these in the mail by now?

Four Starlings.jpg

Notes:

The Birmingham Inks are the Birmingham Inks . . . but that "Starling" is close to my grail as a hue?! 

Nothing to add - just wanted to say that I love this. (I innocently wrote that the needle on my purple pleasure detector is pegged but, man oh man, when I read that back to myself the needle on my prurience detector did the same...)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

@ENewton and @pgcauk  WOW WOW WOW thank you!  I loved the comparisons and then I got to see the birds.  The birds were amazing!  Thank you both.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Four Starlings.jpg

Notes:

Splendid!  I have not yet received these in the mail but am delighted by the preview.

Adding Ink Studio #650 to the mix - I think I'm going to enjoy this one . . . . but all of them!!

Ink Studio 650 Adjacent.jpg

nb Purple does not scan! The Lilac Night is almost stone mauve! All we have here are relative values!

All gorgeous!  Thank you for your work.

• 2 weeks later...

It was my Birthday, OK!

Four new violets for me to add to the mix:

Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata (I tried a sample couldn't resist!)

Kyo No Oto #9 Keshimurasaki

Kyo No Oto #9 Sakuranezume

Kyoto TAG Soft Snows of O'Hara

First impression: No regrets!

NB On my monitor these don't look right at all - far too blue. However I noticing that on my phone and tablet they look a lot better, so possibly screen calibration is a skill to acquire? Hopefuly if you know at least one of these you can see the relative differences?

2 old 4 new Violets Nov 21.jpg

4 new Violets Nov 21.jpg

Thank you! My once-a-year-guilt-free-ink-purchase-day!

My rational mind could never justify four new violets, but they do make quite a festival!

So, now I have way too many violets enpenned, I have to sort them into some kind of order! I had to jettison a couple of old favorites to add a couple of "outside my comfort zone" colors at the ends, but there's nothing wrong with pushing your boundaries?

I like that if you turn this sideways it looks like "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"!

Very Hungry Caterpillar Transition.jpg

19 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

That green in Sailor #650!!! 😍😍😍

I find it disturbing!

I am used to violets breaking down into some combination of blues and pinks, with maybe some tasteful grey, but the combination of bright green with magenta in #650 is a bit of a shocker; not a gentle blend!

However, the rinse water from the same ink is a glorious royal, so more investigations to be done with dilution on this one, but I'm personally not looking to use it for ink and wash!