Ribbed For My... Errr..... Uh......, Surprise.

jdllizard

I found this fleabay listing, item number:161491261020, and after looking carefully at the pics several times, I thought I could see a ribbed jewel! But there was no mention of it in the listing, so I watched it to see how much interest it garnered. Turns out, very little, allowing me to snag it for less than $20. A decent gamble I figured. Sure enough, it showed up in today's mail and is indeed a 3 Ribbed Transitional J! Needs a new sac but otherwise a pen in fantastic shape.

Then I checked my meager collection and realized, I already have one in identical size and coloring. Oh well, you can never have to many Esties! Plus I love the feeling of finding a hidden gem.

John L

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• amberleadavis

• OcalaFlGuy

• jdllizard

I'm not really sure Why this seems to be the case, but in my experience, the Green Esties are the least fought over next to Black ones.

[EDIT] I think a good bit of that is generational. Green was a lot more popular a color for most Everything, "back then". I think the popularity of the color has waned for a few decades actually.

OTOH, the 3 ribbed Trannys to me are the quintessential Estie, a very nice art deco blend between the old Dollar pens and the new, on the horizon, DJ J.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I looked at that and thought it was beautiful, but was out of money.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm not really sure Why this seems to be the case, but in my experience, the Green Esties are the least fought over next to Black ones.

[EDIT] I think a good bit of that is generational. Green was a lot more popular a color for most Everything, "back then". I think the popularity of the color has waned for a few decades actually.

OTOH, the 3 ribbed Trannys to me are the quintessential Estie, a very nice art deco blend between the old Dollar pens and the new, on the horizon, DJ J.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I think I have more greens than any other color -- and it is the color I like the least, except for maybe black. But I was mostly following Bo Bo Olsen's advice to "chase the nib"; and the nibs I wanted seemed to show up more often on green ones a couple of years ago than for any other color. :rolleyes:

Weirdly enough, I haven't found one of the darker/brighter blue ones, like the one I saw in an antiques mall several years ago (and stupidly didn't buy at the time because I didn't know enough about vintage pens at that point), only the paler blue, that was both affordable and wasn't duplicating a nib I already had). And I still want to see a photo with a "root beer" next to a "copper" so I can finally understand the differences between colors....

Are the three-ribbed jewels the ones they call "toaster tops"? I think I have one or two that have that, but most of mine are actually J series pens, not "Trannys".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I wonder if in the original market place was the green pen the most sought after?

I too have way more green pens than any other even black at this point

ABout 200 pieces to draw that conclusion.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

When I wrote my original Then Vs Now Green post, I tried to think the last time I'd seen a Green car on the road.

I couldn't remember the last one I saw. (Probably something in vintage BRG.)

I think many here are familiar with the 60's when Avacado Green was the Must Have kitchen color.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I think many here are familiar with the 60's when Avacado Green was the Must Have kitchen color.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Are you suggesting it's out of fashion nowadays?

Just kidding :lticaptd:

When I wrote my original Then Vs Now Green post, I tried to think the last time I'd seen a Green car on the road.

I couldn't remember the last one I saw. (Probably something in vintage BRG.)

I see one every day - mine. :)

They are less common than they used to be. All the cars are grey now.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Hello Everyone,

I grew up in the '70s (and '80s) and our kitchen was Harvest Gold, (well, the first one I really remember); I would have preferred the Avocado - I have always liked blues and greens. I can also remember when green cars were quite popular, (late '60s through the early '80s), but they did make a brief comeback in the early '90s, but that faded away rather quickly, (not to be confused with the Teal Craze that predominated the mid to late '90s - I'm referring to True Green shades).

I also miss the days when you could get your car's interior in colors - burgundy, navy, walnut brown, forest green, etc. Now, your only choice is gray or tan and if you're really lucky - black. That carries over to exterior colors as well, you look on the road and all you see is black, gray, silver or gold - white is the wild color today. :D (Everything is in neutral "colors" now).

At any rate, back to Esties - I recently won an auction on e-bay and it arrived in the mail today. A reddish-brownish Transitional J with the flat bottom and the three ribbed jewel - and it is in real nice shape, (the pics on e-bay were dark, distant and few), so I knew I was taking a chance when I bid on it - but I took the gamble and this time I WON! It is a beautiful pen and I got it for a mere $13.05. So, congratulations, John, I guess we both hit the Daily Estie Number! :D

Here is a link if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ESTERBROOK-RED-PEARLIZED-LEVER-FILL-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/351233844710?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Wm1W1qSBRQ%252BVbTntP2PObuxRae0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

It Looks Like the barrel is cracked.

It's Possible it's just the patterning, cracks and Estie patterning Do hide with each other...

The 3 rib Tranny is the perfect Estie in my book though.

If it IS cracked, you should get half your money back and then sell it cheap to our Glenn here. He needs a Tranny screw in jewel and clip.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I was posting about the great find, but then Bruce posted. Bruce, how can you tell?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh, wait, I see it, the dark streak runs through the threads.

Hello Bruce, Amber and Everyone Else,

:(

You're right. I missed that, even when I was looking at it here in person - thinking what a beautiful old pen I got - and what a great deal I got, (that alone should have tipped me off - there are no "good deals" on e-bay anymore, it isn't like it was back in the late '90s when I first joined). Earlier today, I also discovered the copper LJ I bought with the stub nib has a crimped stub nib, (I may contact the seller and try to return it). I seem to be having the same luck Cryptos had with vintage pens. My problem is I believe people when they say something is in excellent condition because I would not say that unless it were the truth.

What is worse, my repair projects have gone equally well. I was able to finally re-sac that copper one, but I think I got more shellac on my tools, hands and workbench then I had left on the nipple by the time I got it on there. I did; however, discover a neat trick for getting the sac on - I hold the sac in place with my left Index finger and I use a 90 degree angle dental probe placed inside the sac opening and then "hula-hoop" it around the nipple. I think if I ever try to re-sac a pen again, I'm going to use this technique first, the tweezers and sac spreader got me nowhere.

When I discovered the crimped nib on the copper one, I used the plastic nib block that Paul sent me, but the threaded hole opening chipped apart and the nib unit just fell right out - still intact, (I wish I could say the same for the block). :unsure: I could give me you guys a couple more tales of woe, but one shouldn't complain. Oh well, I think I've had my fill with vintage pens; I'm going to stick with new Lamy's - they're not as pretty, but you always know where you stand with them - and they always work.

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I've sent you a note, Chris. Aside from parts I'd like to know what happened with the block. This way I will at least be aware of an issue, and possibly be able to correct it.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Hello Paul,

Well, it's bed-time, so I have to keep this short, but I don't want to leave you hanging. The circular opening that you screw the nib unit into - which I did - when I tapped on the back end of the nib unit with a narrow steel rod, (lightly), with a platic tipped 5 oz. jewelery hammer - the nib unit came right out of the block, along with a large chip of plastic from around the edge of the hole. Don't ask me how it happened - but that is what happened.

- Chris

PS: We can talk about it in more detail tomorrow, I'm sure the problem is likely more my fault than yours. :)

Edited by LamyOne

Hello Everyone,

I know I originally offered to un-load the cracked pen, (I've since edited that out of the post), but fool that I am - I thought this might be the perfect opportunity for me to see if I can learn how to fix a cracked barrel. :D

Best regards,

Chris

Hello Everyone,

I know I originally offered to un-load the cracked pen, (I've since edited that out of the post), but fool that I am - I thought this might be the perfect opportunity for me to see if I can learn how to fix a cracked barrel. :D

Best regards,

Chris

I hope you can repair it! Good luck.

Either way I think you made a decent buy. There's probably people who would give $13 for just the ribbed jewel.

We both did alright. Congrats.

John L