Small Stub Lovers Unite

Betweenthelines

Haven't visited this wonderful thread in a while. Also forgot to post my Pendleton B (about a 0.6 mm. stroke) nib in action.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• Betweenthelines

• NeverTapOut

• TMLee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad this thread just won't die. I have a Pelikan M600 that I picked up relatively cheaply because the previous owner had tried to make the F nib into a crisp italic while, apparently, blindfolded. Mike Masuyama fixed it right up and now it's a lovely FCI. I also have a Pilot CH 912 SM that Mike turned into a lovely crisp stub--I'd guess about .4-.45mm or so--and a Platinum #3776 M on which Dan Smith put a nice but subtle grind. Unfortunately, none of them are inked at the moment.

• 1 year later...

Reviving the thread with my new baby. A Montblanc 149 with a F-M stub nib with some very nice variation with normal faster writing.

14k Jowo 0.6 CI with a keyhole and relieved shoulders from FPnibs mounted on a matte black ASA Maya. The keyhole and relieved shoulders for a touch of softness to reveal shading, that I do not get from the 0.6 Conid.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I've discovered Edward Johnston's casual script, which seems made for the small stub. I've been adapting it to my own handwriting, because it's not systemized and not taught anywhere to my knowledge, but here's an example:

fpn_1538935799__f3794c01-ea73-462c-9bbd-

• 5 months later...

I usually write in block print with XXF,XF,F nibs. I really like the look of the "micro" stubs. I contacted Pendleton Brown years ago however never did anything with him. Who who would be good to call for a "micro" stub without a 6 month wait. Can it be a stub that is more forgiving or does it have to be a CI grind?

Regards,

David

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

I usually write in block print with XXF,XF,F nibs. I really like the look of the "micro" stubs. I contacted Pendleton Brown years ago however never did anything with him. Who who would be good to call for a "micro" stub without a 6 month wait. Can it be a stub that is more forgiving or does it have to be a CI grind?

If you write in block print, consider a fine Architect grind.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

If you write in block print, consider a fine Architect grind.

who would you have do the grind...Mark Bacas, Dan Smith, Brad Torelli? anyone else you can think of?

Regards,

David

I've discovered Edward Johnston's casual script, which seems made for the small stub. I've been adapting it to my own handwriting, because it's not systemized and not taught anywhere to my knowledge, but here's an example:

fpn_1538935799__f3794c01-ea73-462c-9bbd-

Wheee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! casual script.............. :thumbup: For even trying.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

who would you have do the grind...Mark Bacas, Dan Smith, Brad Torelli? anyone else you can think of?

I have heard that Mark Bacas does an excellent job with these. There is also a talented young man in New York who did an architect grind on my Montblanc 149 EF at the DC show last year. I've not had enough coffee this morning to remember his name and can't find his card. Will keep looking.

Just found this thread - I'm 5ft 2" - do I qualify?

Sorry.

Yes, I'm a lover of EF stubs/Cursive italics and for a long time thought no-one else was pursuing this unicorn, I'm so pleased to find all the suggestions above. I too started with stock nibs - the Nemosine 0.6 & 0.8mm which I like but wanted something smaller. (by the way, not had any problems with cracking on the Singularity model but these #6 nibs are often fitted into my other pens & the Birmingham Ink Co has a some models that have Nemosine nibs as a stock choice).

I also have a Stipula 0.9 mm nib which I think is #5 - currently sitting in a Chinese LiY pen (thanks Frank Underwater for this find) which again, is smooth but still quite big.

Then tried the Plumix calligraphy nibs which fit perfectly into the Pilot Metros - and the F and EF are smooth and quite narrow lines but not as crisp as I'd like.

So finally I'm dipping my toes into custom grinds. I've recently got a very fine - 0.3 or 4? cursive italic from fpnibs which I like very much as it's crisp but it's also a bit of a diva - very particular about what ink I use and the angle I hold it. And I tried out a medium italic grind by John Sorowka from pensharing.com.

Next stop - full on custom grinds!

Thanks for starting this thread - and to everyone who's contributed.

Found it:

https://www.jjlaxpenco.com/

You'll find all you need to know on his web site.

Thank You...I will check him out...I've used Mark in the past...his Blade grind for me writes like a stub should because of the way I hold my pen...right handed...tip to does not face top of paper but left side of paper.

Thank You,

David

Very interesting thread, and kind of a passion for me.

I had acquired a few Pelikan 120's (a Merz & Krell) in the 80's that came with interchangeable nibs, which if I recall I purchased in an art supply store.

One of those nibs was an italic fine, which I loved.

I tend to write small, and do not have the best handwriting, so the little line variation (flair) that the nib provided when writing in my journal gave my writing that little oomph that I enjoyed, particularly as my writing is a combination of printed/cursive.

I have several times had custom grinds, but they were just a tad wider than the Pelikan italic fine, and though nice, not quite as satisfying. Tried the .6mm Nemosyne Italic stub, but that was even a bit too wide.

At the Long Island Pen show this past March, I brought the Pelikan, and a pen I did not like. A Waterman Charleston which had a Medium nib. It just emphasized all the faults in my handwriting, and I tried many times to like it, but just couldn't.

I went to Richard Binders table, and handed him the Pelikan with the fine italic and said "could you give me a nib on the Waterman just like that".

Barbara, his wife said it would not have a lot of line variation...unless I write small..I said I do write small.

As I sat there, Richard did his magic, and handed me that Waterman, which I tried, and to my amazement, was just like the nib on the Pelikan that I loved.

I would guess it is about .4 mm italic.

So this Waterman Charleston is now my favorite go to pen, transformed from a pen that I hated.

So, I may get in trouble for this, but I've been practicing grinding stubs using 0.3 nibs from the abundance of Preppys in my possession. Not much cost involved since I'm using nibs recovered from pens that have otherwise given up the ghost. Lots of fun, but I'm going to practice a lot before I move on to anything more expensive.

Excellent website...how would you rate the Architect grind he did on you EF 149?

Thanks Again,

David

I was very pleased. I was sitting at his table waiting my turn and tried an Architect that he had there as a demonstrator. I was impressed with it, so had him do my Montblanc the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was very pleased. I was sitting at his table waiting my turn and tried an Architect that he had there as a demonstrator. I was impressed with it, so had him do my Montblanc the same way.

Can you post a writing sample?

Regards,

David