Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts



amberleadavis

Recommended Posts

pgcauk
8 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

You wrote that you might have found your true-love but you did say which one. So - which one? :)

 

IMG_20210502_063029.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • amberleadavis

    118

  • HalloweenHJB

    69

  • pgcauk

    31

  • Jan2016

    23

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PithyProlix
15 hours ago, pgcauk said:

 

IMG_20210502_063029.jpg

 

(Apologies for Green's intrusion into Brown's thread.)

 

lap_olive.jpg

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

Pen BBS 309 Kobe 40 Shirakashi.jpg

 

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.
 

Greens and Browns are a subtle world!

Edited by pgcauk
Integrate images with text
Link to post
Share on other sites
mizgeorge
6 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

Pen BBS 309 Kobe 40 Shirakashi.jpg

 

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.
 

Greens and Browns are a subtle world!

Really like that - it's just what I was hoping the hugely disappointing KWZ green/brown would be. 

(and as an aside, I utterly love the 437, which I'm now going to have to go and find somewhere...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
PithyProlix
2 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

Pen BBS 309 Kobe 40 Shirakashi.jpg

 

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.
 

Greens and Browns are a subtle world!

 

I just received a bottle of Guilin and have only had time for a very short test with a dip pen (mainly because I have been fascinated with the other PenBBS bottle I got, #491 Su Shi, a dark, sort of Prussian blue). I saw some pink-rose undertone and wondered how it might compare with Oster Melon Tea.

 

Stone Road of Gion is on its way to me now. I am smitten with this neighborhood of the spectrum. 

 

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

(and as an aside, I utterly love the 437, which I'm now going to have to go and find somewhere...)

 

😍 Same! I just received my first two bottles of PenBBS ink and, so far, I am very impressed. And so many other interesting colors... but difficult to choose because there is so little to see of some of them on the Internet... 

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to post
Share on other sites
mizgeorge
4 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

😍 Same! I just received my first two bottles of PenBBS ink and, so far, I am very impressed. And so many other interesting colors... but difficult to choose because there is so little to see of some of them on the Internet... 

My biggest problem seems to be finding them in the first place - without knowing what 'series' a given ink comes from, it seems almost impossible to search for it without using incredibly random and generic terms.

 

But I managed it and found 437 (and perhaps another couple in the same range) and they're on their way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
PithyProlix
9 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

My biggest problem seems to be finding them in the first place - without knowing what 'series' a given ink comes from, it seems almost impossible to search for it without using incredibly random and generic terms.

 

But I managed it and found 437 (and perhaps another couple in the same range) and they're on their way. 

 

Great! Please let us know how you like them. 

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure it's 473 and not 373? 373 is on my list of Taupes to try, while 473 looks like a bright orange!

Link to post
Share on other sites
mizgeorge
23 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Are you sure it's 473 and not 373? 373 is on my list of Taupes to try, while 473 looks like a bright orange!

These are penBBS numbers, not the Sailor Studio line - and yes, the Sailor 373 is one of my favourites ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
goodpens

I have a ton of browns (and still want more). Used a few of them as comparisons with brown inks I received as part of a PIF. Cross-referencing that comparison post:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Gots my 373! And the answer is . . . . . All of them!
 

Ink Studio 373 Adjacent.jpg

Notes:

Sumiyoshi = coolest (Greenest?)

323 = pinkish yellow? (first impression!)

Cacao = Warm violet. Mmmmm, warm violet cacao!

R&K = most "neutral"?

Yama Guri = a complex bugger? Greenish violet?I thought this would be "the one" (it cost enough!) but in a pen I have never really got on with it. Maybe I'm too simple for its mysteries?
I would have added PenBBS Guilin, which goes down green and dries to pink, but I ran out of space!
Oh, and Birmingham Root Beer = Greyest!
Sailor Doyou = Darkest & Greyest!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      37772
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      30773
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. jar
      jar
      26101
    5. wimg
      wimg
      25570
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • danielfalgerho
      These comments make me sad as I sympathise with Ruaidhri, having great difficulties in being taken seriously. Or being taken at all (no off-colors jokes, please!) In spite of overwhelming odds,  Ruaidhri -now I know how to spell it- made a courageous decision and stuck to it. I was diagnosed with a similar growth in a place I will not reveal. Oh, well, if you insist it was Mount Sinai Hospital. But I firmly intend to walk in Ruaidhri's footsteps, if he will let me, on my next visit to Dublin.
    • ParramattaPaul
      Reminds me of the day my associates and I developed a cure for all mankind's ills and mistakenly wrote it down with invisible ink.
    • AnneD
      Was that the end of the Laboratory? Somehow the exactitude created a fully destructive device, as always!
    • AnneD
      Cold fusion, down the toilet? Seems fitting!
    • AnneD
      "Thank Heavens! I thought you were going to tell me I had Dandruff!"  So they couldn't come up with something really worthy of slipping you the Mickey Finn?? OH MY, and folate? Maybe more dandelion green salad for you! ...
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

    • By benbot517
      51 years and 9 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 9 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 9 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 9 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 9 months
  • Random Adverts

  • Files

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Aditkamath26
      Aditkamath26
      (19 years old)
    2. Aericon
      Aericon
    3. anaximander
      anaximander
      (51 years old)
    4. bgardner
      bgardner
      (67 years old)
    5. carolinius
      carolinius
      (72 years old)





×
×
  • Create New...