Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

pgcauk
8 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

You wrote that you might have found your true-love but you did say which one. So - which one? :)

IMG_20210502_063029.jpg

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PithyProlix
15 hours ago, pgcauk said:

IMG_20210502_063029.jpg

(Apologies for Green's intrusion into Brown's thread.)

lap_olive.jpg

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

• 1 month later...

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

Pen BBS 309 Kobe 40 Shirakashi.jpg

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.

Greens and Browns are a subtle world!

Edited by pgcauk
Integrate images with text
mizgeorge
6 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.

Really like that - it's just what I was hoping the hugely disappointing KWZ green/brown would be. 

(and as an aside, I utterly love the 437, which I'm now going to have to go and find somewhere...)

PithyProlix
2 hours ago, pgcauk said:

I just received a bottle of Guilin and have only had time for a very short test with a dip pen (mainly because I have been fascinated with the other PenBBS bottle I got, #491 Su Shi, a dark, sort of Prussian blue). I saw some pink-rose undertone and wondered how it might compare with Oster Melon Tea.

Stone Road of Gion is on its way to me now. I am smitten with this neighborhood of the spectrum. 

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

(and as an aside, I utterly love the 437, which I'm now going to have to go and find somewhere...)

😍 Same! I just received my first two bottles of PenBBS ink and, so far, I am very impressed. And so many other interesting colors... but difficult to choose because there is so little to see of some of them on the Internet... 

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden

mizgeorge
4 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

😍 Same! I just received my first two bottles of PenBBS ink and, so far, I am very impressed. And so many other interesting colors... but difficult to choose because there is so little to see of some of them on the Internet... 

My biggest problem seems to be finding them in the first place - without knowing what 'series' a given ink comes from, it seems almost impossible to search for it without using incredibly random and generic terms.

But I managed it and found 437 (and perhaps another couple in the same range) and they're on their way. 

PithyProlix
9 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

My biggest problem seems to be finding them in the first place - without knowing what 'series' a given ink comes from, it seems almost impossible to search for it without using incredibly random and generic terms.

But I managed it and found 437 (and perhaps another couple in the same range) and they're on their way. 

Great! Please let us know how you like them. 

Are you sure it's 473 and not 373? 373 is on my list of Taupes to try, while 473 looks like a bright orange!

mizgeorge
23 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Are you sure it's 473 and not 373? 373 is on my list of Taupes to try, while 473 looks like a bright orange!

These are penBBS numbers, not the Sailor Studio line - and yes, the Sailor 373 is one of my favourites ;)

• 1 month later...
goodpens

I have a ton of browns (and still want more). Used a few of them as comparisons with brown inks I received as part of a PIF. Cross-referencing that comparison post:

• 2 months later...

Gots my 373! And the answer is . . . . . All of them!

Ink Studio 373 Adjacent.jpg

Notes:

Sumiyoshi = coolest (Greenest?)

323 = pinkish yellow? (first impression!)

Cacao = Warm violet. Mmmmm, warm violet cacao!

R&K = most "neutral"?

Yama Guri = a complex bugger? Greenish violet?I thought this would be "the one" (it cost enough!) but in a pen I have never really got on with it. Maybe I'm too simple for its mysteries?
I would have added PenBBS Guilin, which goes down green and dries to pink, but I ran out of space!
Oh, and Birmingham Root Beer = Greyest!
Sailor Doyou = Darkest & Greyest!