Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My card for Diamine Chocolate Brown, on Clairefontaine 90g/m.

fpn_1530739634__diamine_chocolate_brown_

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like how the card for CB came out. The fish here is a better demonstration.

Diamine Chocolate Brown.

fpn_1531644431__diamine_chocolate_brown_

• 2 weeks later...

This was supposed to be a narwhal, but he forgot his horn at home. Some days you just forget things like that.

Generic F nib, Rohrer & Klingner Sepia, Rhodia 80g/m.

fpn_1532765775__rk_sepia_doodle_fish.jpg

• 3 months later...

Awesome additions.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have not paid attention to this before but now that I need to know the difference between Diamine Macassar and Chocolate Brown, it is v good to see them placed side by side, or rather up-down.

thank you.

• 1 month later...

Robert Oster Dark Chocolate

This ink really does look like dark chocolate. On rare occasions, it also looks like a dusky purple which is what I think it its base color. (On my screen, this scan is more purplish than in real life).

fpn_1546037990__ro_dark_chocolate.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

Oohh I just discovered this topic and read through the 20 pages drooling.

I love browns (and sepia and greys and murky greens stop).

Here's a post I wrote on the French forum www.stylo-plume.org when comparing 5 Japanese pens and a German one, with the same papers and ink, the latter being Iroshizuku tsukushi. I don't recall having seen it in this topic.

Here's the link to the original post for the numerous fluent readers of French gobbledygook around here :happyberet: Well mainly I compare the nibs' respective merits, in all subjectivity of course.

http://lezardblues.free.fr/stylos/4_japonais/4PJ_1_800.png

http://lezardblues.free.fr/stylos/4_japonais/4PJ_2_800.png

http://lezardblues.free.fr/stylos/4_japonais/Platinum_tsukushi.jpg

"Papier pelure" (2nd and 4th pages) can be translated, I think, into onion skin paper (you know the stuff we made carbon copies from with typewriters in the last century). Correct me if I'm wrong. To me it is comparable to Tomoe River paper though it is thinner yet, it offers a lovely writing experience and makes the nibs "sing" a little. I made stocks of it in my work as an archivist, sorting dusty records and all that, though, alas, these stocks are now depleting ...

large.4PJ_1_800.png.2d9c6bb01ef7924a7daa05507261a9b8.pnglarge.4PJ_2_800.png.9acc04db62533c109cd88684c0d0048f.pnglarge.Platinum_tsukushi.jpg.1797847e436936134ebfddf29e59b100.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't say I "like" it - but I have had De Atramentis' York Brown in continual use since I first stumbled on it (their Umber too!). Haven't encountered anything else like it - a cool brown (not quite greenish, but heading there) that takes me back to the 1970s! Great in combination with greens - on big floral curtains!

fpn_1542852358__greenish_browns.jpg

fpn_1543801159__1970s_green__brown.jpg

Edited by pgcauk

Oh . . . . and I finally picked up "Grain in the Beard"!

fpn_1550517637__grain_in_the_beard.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343889-grain-in-the-beard/

In other news . . . . love my Macassar, Burnt Sienna, R&K Sepia, Cacao Du Bresil . . .

. . . . still puzzling over Doyou (or Doyoun't?), and the equally mysterious KWZ Hunter Green (there is no green on any paper I've seen, but it's like straying from the path in the forest on a moonless night - the ducks don't stand a chance, but I'm also worried for the hunter!!) . . .

. . . . and whenever Christmas rolls around, Rustic Brown is my go-to for cardage.

. . . . Oh, and I have one pen permanently dedicated to Rouille D'Ancre, which may be a "Gentleman's Pink", but appears very Brown looking if it comes up against anything else of the pink variety (Kobe #54 a little browner?).
. . . . and while I don't enjoy writing with Terre De Feu, once you apply a wash, a lovely coral peeks out, which I haven't found a match for elsewhere?

Thank you and goodnight!

• 2 months later...

Cool Browns were my Winter obsession - moving out of it now it's Spring but here's one more:

fpn_1556830232__cool_browns_-_winter_b2.

The (intended to be a) chestnut is Stipula Verde Muschiato, the Acorn De Atramentis' York Brown, the leaf De Atramentis' Marone (I asked Dr. Janssen about the re-naming and he sent me a new bottle of Marone that was still this GreyBrown [albeit without the green tinge?!?]), the hot drink (the always surprising!) Robert Oster Khakhi (spelling is important!) and the main image is as labelled.

Edited by pgcauk

I've bunched the yellows, golds, and browns together. It may be too much, but the colors are fun!

fpn_1417472052__yellow-brown_inks-1.jpeg

Hi, I just loved Peikan/Edelstein Amber - but they only made the brew for one year.

On my screen however, your Noodler's Apache Sunset swatch looks to be a very similar tone and colour. Is this the case in reality?

No, NAS is really orangy and Edelstein Amber is more brown.

• 3 weeks later...

Greenish browns are my preference, but here's some reddish ones:

fpn_1559179682__img_20190529_143041.jpg

n.b. I had to take a photo as the scanner saw something completely different!

You are doing great stuff!

Having spent forever in GreenishBrownland, here's some interesting Russets:

fpn_1559757066__russet_browns_-_3.jpg

Sometimes Oxblood looks purplish, but here (and in comparison to Rustic) it shows orange?!
The KWZ is quite something! Oh, the top two inks are both Diamines, I just wrote KWZ twice as I was trying to get the ink to run dry, which it eventually did by the word Red . . . . it was worth the wait!

p.s. That Robert Oster Dark Chocolate looks like quite something too - is it just me who has trouble with the names getting in the way of the colors with these things?

Edited by pgcauk