Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Should we start a thread of "murky" colors?

Yes Please! Maybe Tas will help :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should we start a thread of "murky" colors?

Yes!

Yes Please! Maybe Tas will help :D

And here it is: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/352918-ink-t-o-d-show-us-your-murky-inks/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yup - I was sure that would be "the one" when I ordered it! Maybe it just hasn't "found the right pen" yet?

Samples are wonderful thing! I would put the Stipula and Rikyu Cha at the head of the line. I keep trying to find a more perfect version of Burma Road Brown - but maybe I'm looking too hard? On the "moss" side I'm very happy with Kobe #45 and #49, but those don't count as brown.

I found a new Japanese word that made me happy yesterday - Kogechairo = olive brown (or, more literally, "burnt tea!") - yum!

Thanks. I already have the Stipula on the list.

The Browns topic came up in my thoughts recently, due to looking for a golden-brown to work in a particular pen. . . . . .

This is most of my brown inks. None are golden enough for me.

I would put De Atramentis' Havanna Brown onto your list. They have a good choice of browns! Khaki is more yellow-grey (could you call that "Dun"? - it's the colour I might expect "Sahara Grau" to be!), Umber has more green, York Brown is "browner" but still under the yellow umbrella!

fpn_1585275516__1.jpg

Edit: I realized York Brown wasn't on the original splodge padge, but when I added it I was strucj by how pale these things look when applied by a brush, so I got out a dip pen for the three that seemed closet to "Golden Brown" to my eyes.

fpn_1585339633__1b.jpg

That York Brown is a curious thing! I can't imagine anyone ever finding it appealing, but because of that it seems fairly unique?

. . . . . and, darnit, I'm starting to think Havanna might be worthy of an upgrade from sample to full bottle status. Throw in Ina Ho too! (small voice: Java Brown is nice too!). How many inks in the same narrowish range is enough?

. . . . mind you I dismissed Khaki as being a lesser version of Umber until I put it in a pen and started writing (esp. sketching) with it. Subtle differences make great educators!

Edited by pgcauk

fpn_1585372177__img_5760.jpg

fpn_1585372192__img_5761.jpg

fpn_1585372206__img_5762.jpg

fpn_1585372221__p1050068.jpg

PS. As usual, the ink shifts between green and brown before your very eyes. The last photo is taken with a different camera (Panasonic DMC-TZ30 compact camera). The first ones are iPhone 11. DS.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Oh, I do like that Provoke the Puritan too! Is it available anywhere? I think you could post it in the "Green" and "Murky" threads too! That "Murky" thread could end up costing me money! "Lead us not into temptation . . . . " I remember from somewhere!
"Stay at home" orders give me more time for noodling, at least. More of the same here, then branching out a little?
First a quintet of De Atramentis Yellow-Browns (+ a Grey that isn't!), similar to the above but on yummy Midori:fpn_1585434567__de_atramentis_yellow_bro

Well, Java didn't really fit there, but I wanted to explore it a bit more, and then I remembered that I had another DeA Brown too:
fpn_1585434728__de_atramentis_java__sepi

Which made me want to play a bit more with Red/Purple Browns:
fpn_1585434830__three_purplish_browns.jp

Golly, that narrow Bandzug is such a lovely nib! . . . . but let's get out "fat-boy" too!
fpn_1585434932__three_purplish_browns_1.

Golly! That might belong in the Purple thread after all?

Edited by pgcauk

This is Stipula IG RED but it looked brown when I added it to other inks.

fpn_1585302972__img_20200327_013017-2.jp

fpn_1585087084__img_20200324_142403_2.jp

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Covid 19 stay-at-home time gives us more time for noodling, at least!

I am apparently so attached to the green-gold section of the color pantry that I was looking for a designated pen that these inks could live in (having donated my Neponset Chickamauga - with f.p.r. ultra-flex nib - to the Sequoias up in Big Sur somewhere :( ). Put my name on the wait list for if and when Birmingham Pens make another batch of their rather lovely looking Sixth Avenue Gold Seam, and lo and behold, that happened this week. In anticipation of its arrival (and with time on my hands) I decided to sort through my green-golds and browns to try and get a sense of what goes where. I thought I'd throw a few warmer browns in too, as my previous Birmingham purchase - a Model A Secretariat - will now be able to stake that field.

fpn_1586202096__categories_of_cool_brown

Well, that gave me the idea of three categories:

Taupe - I have 5 or 6 that I cycle through, with always one on the go (see the mushrooms posted here previously)
Green-Gold - This would be where the Green-Gold would fit? . . . but I already have a pen permanently inked with De Atramentis' Umber! Maybe Green-Browns go here then?

"Proper" Browns - I still like the cool ones. Haven't even given Lie de The a spin yet!

- so actually that's 4: taupe, green-gold, greenish brown, and "proper" brown . . . and then we cross to an adjacent thread for "earthy greens"!

Is it permissible to live with "Fall" colors year round?

I was slightly guiltified to realize that I have all of the following in pens right now (including one ink in two pens, but, slight excuse, with a wide range of nibs!). At least now I have a better sense of what goes where!

fpn_1586202603__categories_of_cool_brown

Edited by pgcauk

Wow - don't Browns have more variety than any or the "purer colors?
Here's a couple of pinkish and purplish along with my stock "Russet":
fpn_1586892218__red_pink_and_purplish_br

Underneath "Terre De Feu" there is a really lovely Coral, I just haven't yet found a pen that will bring it out!

Edited by pgcauk

Wow - don't Browns have more variety than any or the "purer colors?

Here's a couple of pinkish and purplish along with my stock "Russet":

Underneath "Terre De Feu" there is a really lovely Coral, I just haven't yet found a pen that will bring it out!

If you can find some Bank Paper, do so at your earliest convenience. It will bring out the undertones in fountain pen ink. So much so that it will look like an entirely different color. For example, sky blues/true blues with a heavy green undertone will dry to a vibrant ocean green.

The only issue is that the paper is expensive and not so readily available.

If you can find some Bank Paper, do so at your earliest convenience. It will bring out the undertones in fountain pen ink. So much so that it will look like an entirely different color. For example, sky blues/true blues with a heavy green undertone will dry to a vibrant ocean green.

The only issue is that the paper is expensive and not so readily available.

Interesting. Too bad I have no use for loose leaf paper.

https://www.officesupplies.org.uk/office-supplies/paper-card/bank-paper/q-connect-a4-white-bank-paper-50gsm-pack-of-500-kf51015/

Gots ma delivery!
Very pleased that I bought Bahama "blind" - Golly that Ocher looks like everything I wanted (but didn't get) from Lachs!
Everything on this page is De Atramentis, bar the Burma Road, which I put in as my reference "Greenish Brown"

fpn_1587085323__de_atramentis_browns_ii.

....oooooo....Bahama....

Isn't it!

I bought that one blind but I am super-happy that I did! I wanted to like Sahara Grau, but this one gets the balance right!

I also think the ocher is pretty gorgeous. I'm a long time enthusiast of Rusty Anchor, but I now have two alternatives that might well improve on the original?! (The other is one of those expensive Japanese imports - but super pretty!)

anchor rust options.jpg

Everything I was hoping for from "Lachs", but this one gets the tone right!

• 2 months later...

Looked through all 22 pages and no mention of Graf Von Faber Castel's Hazelnut. I only have some sample cartridges but seems like a lovely strong and well named brown to me! The rest, I think, are covered elsewhere?
fpn_1592873233__brown_parade.jpg

Rohrer & Klingner's Sepia must be one of the world's great inks - I think?

Edited by pgcauk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never had a use for cross-hatching or ink washing myself — hell, I didn't even know it was done with a brush and just water, and wondered how everyone got the ink to smear in a controlled fashion by dripping or pouring water on ink marks to 'wash', so lacking is my art education — but I picked up a water brush pen from Daiso on the weekend, and thought I'd give it a go to see whether there's a point in doing so when testing or comparing inks.
fpn_1594609798__nine_cool_brown_inks_on_

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Fantastic, thank you, A Smug Dill!

pgcauc, your contributions are always mesmerizing—I love looking at all and any inks in your sketches! Burnt Sienna does seem very beautiful, and I do love Hazelnut Brown. My recent favorite red-orange-brown with high shading and silver sheen is Sailor Ink Studio #973. It’s like a more vibrant, slightly lighter and more orange sibling of Hazelnut Brown.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Confirming to myself (a smug dill verifies, a bit more scientifically, above) that R&K Sepia is my go to Taupe:

fpn_1594953399__taupe_tryouts.jpg

Yama Guri - more violet

Kaweco Caramel - more pink!

Cacao Du Bresil - warmer (but so lovely!)

Doyou - perfect! - but so dark!
Birmingham Winky's Hambuger Root Beer - grayer

De Atramentis' Marone - lovely, but fickle!

All of the above have their virtues, Taupe is a great zone for anyone who wants an ink that is formal and businesslike, but not blue or black, but for me the R&K Sepia has a very nice balance between Brown and Grey.

Edited by pgcauk