Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

8 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

You wrote that you might have found your true-love but you did say which one. So - which one? :)

IMG_20210502_063029.jpg

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

Pen BBS 309 Kobe 40 Shirakashi.jpg

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.

Greens and Browns are a subtle world!

Edited by pgcauk
Integrate images with text

6 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Not sure which thread it was, but detman101 is obviously quite keen on PenBBS #390, so I threw in a sample "to qualify for free postage" when placing my order for a full bottle of just restocked Kobe #40. Golly, Detman101 is not wrong!

PenBB@ #390 Guilin is one of those color changers. At first it seemed quite close to Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, a "milder" version of Rikyu Cha (both of which which I have a full bottles of already!) as it writes green and then "matures" to a gentle brown . . . . but where Shirakashi stops at the edge of Hunter Green/Brown, Guilin continues to mature until it is almost pinkish brown when dry! All of these are not just paper dependent, but show different aspects under different lighting. My Kobe #40, which I initially considered "greenish", appears quite violet alongside.

Really like that - it's just what I was hoping the hugely disappointing KWZ green/brown would be. 

(and as an aside, I utterly love the 437, which I'm now going to have to go and find somewhere...)

2 hours ago, pgcauk said:

I just received a bottle of Guilin and have only had time for a very short test with a dip pen (mainly because I have been fascinated with the other PenBBS bottle I got, #491 Su Shi, a dark, sort of Prussian blue). I saw some pink-rose undertone and wondered how it might compare with Oster Melon Tea.

Stone Road of Gion is on its way to me now. I am smitten with this neighborhood of the spectrum. 

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

(and as an aside, I utterly love the 437, which I'm now going to have to go and find somewhere...)

😍 Same! I just received my first two bottles of PenBBS ink and, so far, I am very impressed. And so many other interesting colors... but difficult to choose because there is so little to see of some of them on the Internet... 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

4 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

😍 Same! I just received my first two bottles of PenBBS ink and, so far, I am very impressed. And so many other interesting colors... but difficult to choose because there is so little to see of some of them on the Internet... 

My biggest problem seems to be finding them in the first place - without knowing what 'series' a given ink comes from, it seems almost impossible to search for it without using incredibly random and generic terms.

But I managed it and found 437 (and perhaps another couple in the same range) and they're on their way. 

9 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

My biggest problem seems to be finding them in the first place - without knowing what 'series' a given ink comes from, it seems almost impossible to search for it without using incredibly random and generic terms.

But I managed it and found 437 (and perhaps another couple in the same range) and they're on their way. 

Great! Please let us know how you like them. 

23 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Are you sure it's 473 and not 373? 373 is on my list of Taupes to try, while 473 looks like a bright orange!

These are penBBS numbers, not the Sailor Studio line - and yes, the Sailor 373 is one of my favourites ;)

• 1 month later...

I have a ton of browns (and still want more). Used a few of them as comparisons with brown inks I received as part of a PIF. Cross-referencing that comparison post:

• 2 months later...

Gots my 373! And the answer is . . . . . All of them!

Ink Studio 373 Adjacent.jpg

Notes:

Sumiyoshi = coolest (Greenest?)

323 = pinkish yellow? (first impression!)

Cacao = Warm violet. Mmmmm, warm violet cacao!

R&K = most "neutral"?

Yama Guri = a complex bugger? Greenish violet?I thought this would be "the one" (it cost enough!) but in a pen I have never really got on with it. Maybe I'm too simple for its mysteries?
I would have added PenBBS Guilin, which goes down green and dries to pink, but I ran out of space!
Oh, and Birmingham Root Beer = Greyest!
Sailor Doyou = Darkest & Greyest!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, pgcauk said:

Gots my 373! And the answer is . . . . . All of them!

Ink Studio 373 Adjacent.jpg

Notes:

Sumiyoshi = coolest (Greenest?)

323 = pinkish yellow? (first impression!)

Cacao = Warm violet. Mmmmm, warm violet cacao!

R&K = most "neutral"?

Yama Guri = a complex bugger? Greenish violet?I thought this would be "the one" (it cost enough!) but in a pen I have never really got on with it. Maybe I'm too simple for its mysteries?
I would have added PenBBS Guilin, which goes down green and dries to pink, but I ran out of space!
Oh, and Birmingham Root Beer = Greyest!
Sailor Doyou = Darkest & Greyest!

Ooh, I think I need the 323. It was on my wishlist, I talked myself out of it a few times, and now wish I hadn’t. 

Please excuse my Typo, it's Ink Studio #373 and it is certainly not boring! The first swatch (above) was not so captivating to me, but now I have loaded it into a pen I am finding all sorts of hidden pleasures! Although the taupe is consistent and readable, there are pinks and greens peeping through, and in one instance, on Tomoe River, a back-of-the-nib smear shows a lovely rich violet! I'll see if I can catch that in a scan, but in the meantime, here's a couple of mushrooms!

20211101_084904.jpg

Edit: Here's that violet smear - Oh, my!

373 Violet.jpg

Edited by pgcauk
Integrate images with text

Call me a fun guy!
Couple of new additions here, but a good excuse to get 'em all out again!?
Pretty soon I'll have all the colors of the rainbow - in taupe!

Mushrooms Fall 21.jpg

Stone Road Of Gion.jpg

I would not eat that Shirakashi 'shroom!

• 5 months later...

MB Homage to Hadrian(I believe) and Akkermann Hopjesbrun

63104CF0-8CEB-4E2C-AB68-94CE7E692AC8_1_201_a.jpeg

0BBF5E1E-FE23-48E6-AAD2-FF5A9D9C887C.jpeg

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 11/4/2021 at 5:38 AM, pgcauk said:

Call me a fun guy!
Couple of new additions here, but a good excuse to get 'em all out again!?
Pretty soon I'll have all the colors of the rainbow - in taupe!

Mushrooms Fall 21.jpg

Stone Road Of Gion.jpg

I would not eat that Shirakashi 'shroom!

Just saw this. Wonderful! 

• 2 months later...

I was pretty sure that "Stone Road" was the one for me, but I was intrigued enough by Ochiguriiro to order a sample at least. Initial verdict: Intriguinger and intriguinger!

Ochiguriiro sample comparison.jpg

- and that Melon Tea too! I have full bottles of Oster's Khakhi and Bronze but only a sample of Melon Tea, yet I think of the three it's my favorite.

Edit: Scanner disclaimer - this is subtle territory! The top three are relatively ok, three grey browns, one tending a bit more violet. The Wild Chestnut = Ochiguriiro is apricot tempered by green, resulting in a yellowish brown, but the Oster, which scans horribly, is actually the reverse a greenish brown tempered by apricot

7 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Ochiguriiro sample comparison.jpg

- and that Melon Tea too!

Thank you for showing these together on one sheet!

Stone Road is one of my favs, whereas Melon Tea disappointed me a bit, so I put it away and never really used it. Seeing it now reminds me to give it another (and maybe more patient and fair) try. 

4 hours ago, JulieParadise said:

Stone Road is one of my favs, whereas Melon Tea disappointed me a bit, so I put it away and never really used it. Seeing it now reminds me to give it another (and maybe more patient and fair) try. 

Thanks Julie, I am in a similar place, I look at nahmesroom's marvelous review of Ochiguriiro and it's Stone Road that leaps out as the one for me... yet the Ochiguriiro is intriguing enough to order a sample at least. With Oster I was sure that first Khakhi then Bronze would be "the one", but when neither was I became, well, twice shy I guess. However my recent purchase (seduction by!) Taccia's Umemurasaki has taken me back to Herbin's Terre De Feu, and the Ochiguriiro sample, which is quite special, took me straight back to Melon Tea, both of which are inks with something interesting going on in the background, but I never knew how to get at it!

Scans of Umemurasaki are impossible, but here's an early morning phone photo:20220619_062021.thumb.jpg.79407bc6aca57bf23e7a2e5bb82fedc8.jpg

Terre De Feu has a lovely Coral hidden under a rather dull Brown. Looking at this made me think "ember'!

Umemurasaki really does look Brown in most lights (for some reason scans as fuschia!), but with wonderful juicy pinks ready to spill out with water. Quite plummy!

Ochiguriiro is a lovely Apricot neutralized by Green, whereas Melon Tea is the opposite, a Greenish Brown enlivened by Apricot.

All of these I would consider best suited to sketching rather than correspondence, whereas Stone Road and Sumiyoshi are great writing inks with lovely shading yet consistency of tone. R&K Sepia is probably both!

I had one other Melon Tea sketch yonks ago that has always intrigued me, I'll post it below once I access the archives.