Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Well, poo.

This color is amazing, but, alas, as noted, not meant for fountain pen (fp) use.

I'd love to find a fp ink as close to this color as possible.

I used the Authentic Models Signal Red and Frantic Flamingo in my pens and I think Halloween used the Olive in his pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used the Authentic Models Signal Red and Frantic Flamingo in my pens and I think Halloween used the Olive in his pens.

Right. There are other colors in the collection, and I am sure that some would appeal to other folks, color being such a unique and personal thing... ;)

I've found a pretty close substitute for Kabayaki of the Hamaneko Eel: Octopus Pinie. It doesn't have the crazy red-to-green variations as the Bungbox ink, but it's pretty close and handles somewhat better. And, attractively, it's merely difficult to obtain, as opposed to impossible.

Three browns: De Atramentis document brown (the simple tree sketch), Diamond deep dark brown (the living tree) and J. Her bins cacao du brasil (the strange guy sketch).

All sketches is done with either the Kuretake no 13 or the Kuretake no 40, all in Stillman and Birn gamma serie sketchbook (150 gsm, vellum ivory paper).

Obviously it all depends on witch screen you have, the colours will stand out differently. And even though the paper can fool you, the colours stands out really nice and true in this sketchbook.

My favourite is the De Atramentis. It's a bit darker than your typical sienna brown, but keeps the vibrance known in sienna brown. The velocity is just right and it's waterproof (I use it with watercolours). And In my TWSBI 580 it is just beautiful.

I have been using the Diamine for quite a while and is very nice too, like a rich burnt umber. It flows well, but is not waterproof.

I'm not a fan of the J. Herbin, the colour is just too weak, like a burnt umber diluted with way too much water.

They all like black in this post, sorry about that. I'll do it better next time I'll talk colours

Your drawings are great! Keep it coming.....

• 1 month later...

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Since none of us could decide where to put this, I'm adding this here and in purple.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/01-January/2016-01-11_02.jpg

large.2016-01-11_02.jpg.0a09299b234314b5f218cb4abbca7df3.jpglarge.2016-01-11_29.jpg.b44088042a07c7906172c32d5056aca2.jpg

large.2016-01-11_35.jpg.34b62aa5e18a8ad518bc577b5dfaee73.jpglarge.2016-01-11_35w.jpg.0f4746cfa276cd15e06c6f5991815d6c.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/01-January/2016-01-11_35.jpg

I noticed this one looks grey when it is diluted. Check back for the washed version which will be uploaded shortly.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/01-January/2016-01-11_35w.jpg

Since none of us could decide where to put this, I'm adding this here and in purple.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/01-January/2016-01-11_29.jpg

Actually, I kind of like this odd shade of red-purple-brown. It's bright enough when used with a pen with a broad nib. Hmmm...

I took some quick photos of the inks I use regularly.

P1081421.jpg

P1081426.jpg

P1081427.jpg

P1081430.jpg

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Candide, those are great! Thank you!

Halloween, it is your kind of color!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I do love those colors! My true adoration, though, is for the more orange-y and reddish browns. "AUTUMNAL" is what I'd call them.

Here is a selection of the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio "Autumnal" inks that I have currently:

post-113310-0-34147800-1454076190_thumb.jpg

Ordered by preference (visual deliciousness):

1. Aurora

2. Itzamná

3. Inti

4. Anáhuac

5. Cannelle

6. Sépia

Yes, I do love those colors! My true adoration, though, is for the more orange-y and reddish browns. "AUTUMNAL" is what I'd call them.

Here is a selection of the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio "Autumnal" inks that I have currently:

attachicon.gif2016-01-29 08.55.40.jpg

1. Aurora

2. Itzamná

3. Inti

4. Anáhuac

5. Cannelle

6. Sépia

These are all beautiful!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Here's an ink mix I was working on today. I didn't have a brown ink with this cigar-ish leaning color. It was mixed from samples on hand, so it's a little quirky.

Parts:

2.625 Sailor Souten

3.000 Diamine Ancient Copper

0.750 Diamine Burnt Sienna (since I ran out of AC)

3.750 Noodler's Yellow mixed with Caran d'Ache Vibrant Green 30:1

2.500 Blue Ghost

1.000 Distilled Water

Nibs: Nemosine 1.1 stub / Zebra G comic dip pen nib (should dilute more for dip pen and thicken) / Nemosine 1.1 stub

post-121667-0-56802000-1454302055_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKB

Here's an ink mix I was working on today. I didn't have a brown ink with this cigar-ish leaning color. It was mixed from samples on hand, so it's a little quirky.

Parts:

2.625 Sailor Souten

2.500 Blue Ghost

1.000 Distilled Water

Nibs: Nemosine 1.1 stub / Zebra G comic dip pen nib (should dilute more for dip pen and thicken) / Nemosine 1.1 stub

attachicon.gifscan0003.jpg

Ooo, nice . . . :)

attachicon.gif2016-01-29 08.55.40.jpg

1. Aurora

2. Itzamná

3. Inti

4. Anáhuac

5. Cannelle

6. Sépia

I adore oranges.

Parts:

2.625 Sailor Souten

2.500 Blue Ghost

1.000 Distilled Water

attachicon.gifscan0003.jpg

Reminds me of the strange little ink made by "Authentic Models" called "Olive Branch". It's a brown-green-gray all at once:

post-113310-0-78024200-1454353161_thumb.jpg

[image]

Actually, I kind of like this odd shade of red-purple-brown. It's bright enough when used with a pen with a broad nib. Hmmm...

It looks totally different in a wet nib! In dry or medium flow nibs it looks incredibly washed out. I have it in a Platinum Preppy Medium and it bored me to tears, but in the wet Decimo--hmmm....

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Reminds me of the strange little ink made by "Authentic Models" called "Olive Branch". It's a brown-green-gray all at once:

attachicon.gifOlive Branch-HJB.jpg

Oh Olive... you hold a special place in my heart... ♡♡♡

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 2 weeks later...

So here are my current browns, most of them in bottles, but a few are just sample vials, such as De Atramentis Black-Brown, Diamine Strauss and Chocolate, and Skrip Brown.

Apart from the JH Cafe des Isles, in a Guanleming 193, and the Diamine Strauss in a Waterman Kultur, the tests were made with a glass dip pen. Paper is Rhodia Ice.

You could almost call the Sailor Kobe Brick Brown Red....a red. And Diamine Strauss looks pinkish to me.

J Herbin Cacao du Bresil is another one of those great, indefinable colors...kinda grayish-plumish-brownish, but alas, the scan seems to have stripped out all the other elusive tones, leaving only gray.

If you don't count the sample vials, I seem to have far fewer brown inks than greens or turquoises. This is a good thing, I mean, unacceptible! Yeah....

What's next? Another brown from DA? Maybe Sailor Doyou? Iroshizuku Yama-Guri? Or something unknown and exotic?

24805350872_d989b8fd4d_z.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.