Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Hmm.. sort of an amberish (not Amberish) color.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm seeing that we don't use brown as much as we use other colors.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not sure if this ink belongs in this thread, but I'll give it a shot. It really is an odd mix of different colors, so who knows...

fpn_1430582063__aurora-hjb.jpg

I'm seeing that we don't use brown as much as we use other colors.

Well, hadn't even thought of brown, but having followed this thread, next time I'm in town, I shall pick up a bottle of MB Toffee Brown :)

Not sure what I'd use it for, but I'll think of something.

• 1 month later...

A color I've had for a while, but don't use much. It has an odd greenish-brown that is not my favorite shade, but it really does absolutely look like tea leaves after brewing, as suggested by the name...

fpn_1433874633__lie_de_th-hjb.jpg

Amazing how both those light browns look completely different.

And another to add to the equation! Not as sophisticated as Sailor's Cigar, but something along the same lines:

fpn_1434056668__olive_branch-hjb.jpg

Is there a name for this color? It's not quite olive green, but "olive brown" sounds strange...

I would describe Olive Branch as a "pure brown," without any red, orange, or green. I like it, but I'm drowning in ink so will have to pass.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Now that I'm comparing this ink to others I have, I see more clearly that "Olive Branch" is really just SEPIA, but instead of being on the golden brown side, it's more on the greenish-gray side. Which, if I understand correctly, is more what the original sepia was supposed to look like. Right?

I don' know how I missed that last night... ;)

Yes, this is what I would describe as sepia. It's a shame most of their colors are available only in the small sample bottles.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Yes, this is what I would describe as sepia. It's a shame most of their colors are available only in the small sample bottles.

Indeed! There are a couple of the inks that I would certainly like to get a full-sized bottle of. Olive Branch is one of them:

fpn_1434571520__olive_branch-nouveau.jpe

WOW ... looking great.

• 3 months later...

The delightful "Brandy Dazzle" of the Diamine Shimmertastic Inks! [My personal favorite!!]

fpn_1444952371__brandy_dazzle-hjb.jpg

• 1 month later...

And another to add to the equation! Not as sophisticated as Sailor's Cigar, but something along the same lines:

fpn_1434056668__olive_branch-hjb.jpg

Is there a name for this color? It's not quite olive green, but "olive brown" sounds strange...

Wow this one looks really nice!

Where do we buy it from?

Wow this one looks really nice!

Where do we buy it from?

I bought this ink on a whim. It is part of a set, and the tiny bottles come in a collection of 12 inks by "Authentic Models." [http://authenticmodels.com/collection/?product=mg084]

The inks are not expressly made for fountain pens, but if you're willing to experiment with an inexpensive pen, you might a few of the colors very appealing. A few of the colors are really unusual and not to be found easily —and Olive Branch is one of the best. [Note: from what I have seen, some of the inks are "stainers" and, from my experience, it is important to understand that some of these inks do NOT mix well with good quality inks.]

Of the browns I have seen posted in this thread the ones I like the most seem to be.....

Parker Penman Mocha - have some in a pen now thanks to a sample sent to me. Beautiful color. Just enough pink undertone.

Diamine Saddle Brown - this seems close to Mocha color wise to me, from swabs/scans.

Noodler's #41 Brown - had a sample once, and wasn't moved by it, but will try again.

Monteverde Brown - had a sample once, and it was a brown that I did like. But for whatever reason, I never bought it.

Levenger Pomegranate is more of a red than a brown, but depending on nib and paper it leans towards brown. Blackstone Red Cashmere seems to as well, but less so. Although sometimes if I have both in a pen, I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Levenger Pomegranate is more of a red than a brown, but depending on nib and paper it leans towards brown. Blackstone Red Cashmere seems to as well, but less so. Although sometimes if I have both in a pen, I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference.

I've never had them inked at the same time, but I've thought the sheen was similar. Do you feel like dropping me a line with each so I can see them side by side in action? You definitely got me hooked on Levenger Pomegranate.

I bought this ink on a whim. It is part of a set, and the tiny bottles come in a collection of 12 inks by "Authentic Models." [http://authenticmodels.com/collection/?product=mg084]

The inks are not expressly made for fountain pens, but if you're willing to experiment with an inexpensive pen, you might a few of the colors very appealing. A few of the colors are really unusual and not to be found easily —and Olive Branch is one of the best. [Note: from what I have seen, some of the inks are "stainers" and, from my experience, it is important to understand that some of these inks do NOT mix well with good quality inks.]

Well, poo.

This color is amazing, but, alas, as noted, not meant for fountain pen (fp) use.

I'd love to find a fp ink as close to this color as possible.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Three browns: De Atramentis document brown (the simple tree sketch), Diamond deep dark brown (the living tree) and J. Her bins cacao du brasil (the strange guy sketch).

All sketches is done with either the Kuretake no 13 or the Kuretake no 40, all in Stillman and Birn gamma serie sketchbook (150 gsm, vellum ivory paper).

Obviously it all depends on witch screen you have, the colours will stand out differently. And even though the paper can fool you, the colours stands out really nice and true in this sketchbook.

My favourite is the De Atramentis. It's a bit darker than your typical sienna brown, but keeps the vibrance known in sienna brown. The velocity is just right and it's waterproof (I use it with watercolours). And In my TWSBI 580 it is just beautiful.

I have been using the Diamine for quite a while and is very nice too, like a rich burnt umber. It flows well, but is not waterproof.

I'm not a fan of the J. Herbin, the colour is just too weak, like a burnt umber diluted with way too much water.

They all like black in this post, sorry about that. I'll do it better next time I'll talk colours

post-126187-0-20032600-1448958191_thumb.jpg

post-126187-0-05805400-1448958204_thumb.jpg

post-126187-0-52396900-1448958213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tomasbjornsson

Tomas Björnsson Live to paint, paint to live

http://www.tomasbjornsson.dk

http://copenhagenink.blogspot.dk