Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Red - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts


amberleadavis

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

 

Oh dear, those were done years apart with different papers and pens. I think China Town red is brighter.  I think we need to do a CRV.

For me it is more that I have been itching for a long time to buy an Akkerman ink (mostly for the bottle), and I just want to have a good idea of what the Chinatown Red looks like. Since I have Waterman Audacious Red, it seems a good benchmark against which to compare a similar red.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • amberleadavis

    192

  • HalloweenHJB

    126

  • lgsoltek

    52

  • Jan2016

    29

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/19/2021 at 3:11 AM, N1003U said:

For me it is more that I have been itching for a long time to buy an Akkerman ink (mostly for the bottle), and I just want to have a good idea of what the Chinatown Red looks like. Since I have Waterman Audacious Red, it seems a good benchmark against which to compare a similar red.

They are similar enough that if you don't use a lot of red you might want to choose a different color. That being said I think it's awesome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

They are similar enough that if you don't use a lot of red you might want to choose a different color. That being said I think it's awesome.

Thanks. That is the sort of feedback I was looking for.

 

I go through a bottle of red a bit faster than one per year (ink that is—if it is wine, maybe once or twice per week 😛), and the Waterman bottle is fairly new, and I still have just under a quarter bottle of Noodler’s Red (3oz./90ml), plus a few fills of Edelstein Ruby, so maybe I have enough red and a different color is appropriate, but which? I have blues coming out of my ears, several browns, greens, and now a couple of teals. Maybe I’ll check out an Akkerman black. Something other than Pilot Black or 4001 Brilliant Black, for a change.

 

As I said, it is maybe more about getting the bottle. 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, N1003U said:

Thanks. That is the sort of feedback I was looking for.

 

I go through a bottle of red a bit faster than one per year (ink that is—if it is wine, maybe once or twice per week 😛), and the Waterman bottle is fairly new, and I still have just under a quarter bottle of Noodler’s Red (3oz./90ml), plus a few fills of Edelstein Ruby, so maybe I have enough red and a different color is appropriate, but which? I have blues coming out of my ears, several browns, greens, and now a couple of teals. Maybe I’ll check out an Akkerman black. Something other than Pilot Black or 4001 Brilliant Black, for a change.

 

As I said, it is maybe more about getting the bottle. 😃

 

Also, it is a big bottle of ink so you may want to take that in to consideration.  Personally, I like it better than Waterman Red, but I like really vibrant inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Lamy Crystal Ruby.  It's great that Lamy now has a decent red ink (thought I admit I'm warming up to regular Lamy Red, which is very light with an orange-y cast, now that I'm using it for notetaking).   However, Ruby doesn't grab me the way some other red inks do - the scanner makes it appear a bit more lively than in real life - and I don't see myself buying a bottle anytime soon.

 

 

lamy_ruby.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing new, but once a year it's nice to review? Obviously I'm on the leans orange rather than leans purple side (as my greens lean yellow rather than blue!)!

 

Monaco I like the color, but when it shades I get Strawberry Juice!

Steen Rood (no effective distinction from Diamine Ancient Copper) is so impressive, but possibly over-saturated? Still wins out for me over Kobe #39!
Antietam is more fruit than Brick, but as an orange red I enjoy it very much, tomato skin dilutes to tomato flesh - consistent!
I have always quite fancied Rabaul Red - but never heard anyone say a good thing about it!

My 3 Reds 21.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, pgcauk said:

Nothing new, but once a year it's nice to review? Obviously I'm on the leans orange rather than leans purple side (as my greens lean yellow rather than blue!)!

 

Monaco I like the color, but when it shades I get Strawberry Juice!

Steen Rood (no effective distinction from Diamine Ancient Copper) is so impressive, but possibly over-saturated? Still wins out for me over Kobe #39!
Antietam is more fruit than Brick, but as an orange red I enjoy it very much, tomato skin dilutes to tomato flesh - consistent!
I have always quite fancied Rabaul Red - but never heard anyone say a good thing about it!

My 3 Reds 21.jpg

 

Great presentation of three beautiful reds!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

PXL_20220118_023756310_MP.thumb.jpg.572692322c2badc2315c8914d3097894.jpgPXL_20220120_094708870.thumb.jpg.8938aae2b706a8bb9e0edfdb48664817.jpg

 

Diamine Inkvent Noel

Waterman Red

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Diamine Inkvent Red Noel, Diamine Inkvent Ho Ho Ho, Akkerman Chinatown Red, Fritz Schimpf Morgenrote, Pure Pens Caldwalder.

@kestrel

20220105.jpg

PXL_20220104_024109123.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

large.1510209840_Someredandcrimsoninks.jpg.578e8dffb94a8fb746651f69eca5d0d9.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

Ume seems very similar to Oku-yama, wouldn’t you say so? Perhaps a touch redder?

 

They are practically the same to my eyes and on my choice of types of paper, although I think Okuyama may be slightly more apt to exhibit sheen.

 

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2022 at 8:25 PM, lgsoltek said:

I probably won't need Ume in my stash, I suppose.

 

 

Edit: There is a difference after exposure to water, though, I've since discovered.

 

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@A Smug Dill 

This comparison was amazing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now







×
×
  • Create New...