Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Red - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Hmmm, I'm going to be honest here. I'm not going to say it's the same, but if you have Ancient Copper I am not sure there is enough difference to justify both. It's hard for me as I had a strong initial reaction against Ancient Copper (which I found to be over-saturated and smeary), and now have a positive reaction to Steen Rood (shading and color - a match for my '70s Waterman!), but I couldn't say they aren't the same thing!

fpn_1559350898__img_20190531_142232.jpg

Confronting (your own) prejudice can be an uncomfortable task! It is distinct from Kobe #39, but it's close, and the Kobe comes with all the usual Kobe goodness!

However, this was my first Akkerman ink and I have to say, the bottle is a thing of wonder! I was worried that it would be a real white elephant, and wouldn't even fit into my poor monastic cell, but it is a marvelous, simple, functional object and the perfect centerpiece for any desk! Every ink aficionado should have at least one!

. . . . that Sap Green looks nice? (Doh! It's Diamine Meadow!)

Luckily for me, I don't have a bottle of Ancient Copper yet, so I can easily talk myself into getting a bottle of the Akkerman if I like the sample I picked up! I just finished finding a color set that satisfied my "stormy sea" craving (Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue, Kobe #44 Sumaura Seaside, and Colorverse Monsoon Storm), so I'm pretty eager to sort these brick colors out, too.

Regarding the Uca arcuata, it is a wonderfully-performing ink as you would expect from Sailor, but the color itself can be had from so many more easily-sourced companies that it is probably only in the "nice to have" status. It is somewhere between KWZI Old Gold and Colorverse String, if you are familiar with those.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, I'm going to be honest here. I'm not going to say it's the same, but if you have Ancient Copper I am not sure there is enough difference to justify both. It's hard for me as I had a strong initial reaction against Ancient Copper (which I found to be over-saturated and smeary), and now have a positive reaction to Steen Rood (shading and color - a match for my '70s Waterman!), but I couldn't say they aren't the same thing!

fpn_1559350898__img_20190531_142232.jpg

Confronting (your own) prejudice can be an uncomfortable task! It is distinct from Kobe #39, but it's close, and the Kobe comes with all the usual Kobe goodness!

However, this was my first Akkerman ink and I have to say, the bottle is a thing of wonder! I was worried that it would be a real white elephant, and wouldn't even fit into my poor monastic cell, but it is a marvelous, simple, functional object and the perfect centerpiece for any desk! Every ink aficionado should have at least one!

. . . . that Sap Green looks nice? (Doh! It's Diamine Meadow!)

Got my sample of the Steenrood and did a comparison to a sample of Ancient Copper that I had tucked away, and indeed the swabs look pretty much identical to my eyes. Here is a closer comparison to the two and Monteverde Copper Noir and Kobe Renga:

eSqGtVH.jpg

Got my sample of the Steenrood and did a comparison to a sample of Ancient Copper that I had tucked away, and indeed the swabs look pretty much identical to my eyes. Here is a closer comparison to the two and Monteverde Copper Noir and Kobe Renga:

eSqGtVH.jpg

So, which would you choose? Or is "the one" still eluding you?

I must admit, I loved everything about the Kobe . . . . but it was a little on the red side for me!

Yes, I think Steen Rood and Ancient Copper may be functionally identical, but have you ever had that thing where you circle back to something you initially hated and find that you love it after all? Such (self-)confrontations are partly what makes working with color so interesting (but not always thrifty!)?

Steen Rood didn't work in my Waterman, which needs to have the flow increased (so, dull brown!), but in my big wet Duke Fude it is what I was looking for . . . . maybe?

(pardon my spelling!)

fpn_1559614866__fear_and_panic.jpg

p.s. Well done you on the "Stormy Sea"!

Blues are my most neglected area after red (and reds tending purple are probably my absolute black hole!)

Edited by pgcauk

So, which would you choose? Or is "the one" still eluding you?

I must admit, I loved everything about the Kobe . . . . but it was a little on the red side for me!

Yes, I think Steen Rood and Ancient Copper may be functionally identical, but have you ever had that thing where you circle back to something you initially hated and find that you love it after all? Such (self-)confrontations are partly what makes working with color so interesting (but not always thrifty!)?

Steen Rood didn't work in my Waterman, which needs to have the flow increased (so, dull brown!), but in my big wet Duke Fude it is what I was looking for . . . . maybe?

(pardon my spelling!)

fpn_1559614866__fear_and_panic.jpg

p.s. Well done you on the "Stormy Sea"!

Blues are my most neglected area after red (and reds tending purple are probably my absolute black hole!)

I know exactly what you mean about circling back to an ink that you once didn't care for - it has happened more times than I can count in my short time using fountain pens (~6 years). Ancient Copper was something that I had tried as one of my first 10 or so inks, and thought it was just OK. Fast forward a few years and here we are. It certainly does help that I have a diverse enough number of pens that most inks will be able to pair with one of them, much moreso than my fine- and medium-nibbed Pilot Metros could do back in those days.

Keeping this in mind, I think I will opt to go with the Ancient Copper in a 30 mL vial and that will satisfy the itch for this color. It is a little silly for me to rationalize it this way considering my already too bulky ink collection, but 120mL of this color is a bit too much for me, especially since I have a bottle of Renga. It is easy to say it since Steenrood appears to be sold out everywhere in the States anyway! I do really like the Akkerman bottle, so maybe I will look through their smaller standard line for something unique.

Keeping this in mind, I think I will opt to go with the Ancient Copper in a 30 mL vial and that will satisfy the itch for this color. It is a little silly for me to rationalize it this way considering my already too bulky ink collection, but 120mL of this color is a bit too much for me, especially since I have a bottle of Renga. It is easy to say it since Steenrood appears to be sold out everywhere in the States anyway! I do really like the Akkerman bottle, so maybe I will look through their smaller standard line for something unique.

Sounds like a good call. My early memories of Ancient Copper are of a nasty, smeary mess! I now realize that that's my fault for putting it in an acrylic Noodlers' and letting it evaporate for a while! The ebonite Noodlers' pens have been fine with me, but the acrylics do seem to allow the ink to become "concentrated" rather quickly (which is a shame, as I enjoy the Standard Flex nib and pen-size) so are now restricted to the "try-out" drawer. Anyway, the memory is not a pleasant one so I'm pleased to have an alternative route!

I really like the 30ml bottles! Allows for "occasional use" ink purchases (with the option of replacement or upgrade on completion, and not too much space taken in the drawer if only occasional use?!). I'm even thinking (Treachery! Storm the castle!) that I might pick up a couple of the Pilot inks that I've always wanted to try now that you can get 15ml for < $10 - those 50ml bottles take up too much real estate in my shoe-box!!

. . . . and the Kobe is (all are?) lovely ink . . . got a feeling I may cross paths with that one again in the future . . . but for now I am very content with:

Antietam = persimmon/tomato

Steen Rood = Brick

Oxblood

. . . . but I worked through a lot of samples (and a 30ml of Monaco Red) to get here.

. . . . oh, one that wasn't already listed was Diamine Blood Orange, I preferred Antietam in a face off but it was in the ball park! If you do get to "Burnt Orange" samples - please share! - I'll see if I can dig out my old papers!

OK - so with the "brick" sorted here's my Red Cosmology -
Executive actions and their consequences (in two directions):

fpn_1559686489__red_cosmology_june_19.jp

Brick = Steen Rood

Deep Red = Oxblood

Red Violet = Oster's Claret

Herbage by AltGoldGrun!

LOOKS AWESOME

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sounds like a good call. My early memories of Ancient Copper are of a nasty, smeary mess! I now realize that that's my fault for putting it in an acrylic Noodlers' and letting it evaporate for a while! The ebonite Noodlers' pens have been fine with me, but the acrylics do seem to allow the ink to become "concentrated" rather quickly (which is a shame, as I enjoy the Standard Flex nib and pen-size) so are now restricted to the "try-out" drawer. Anyway, the memory is not a pleasant one so I'm pleased to have an alternative route!

I really like the 30ml bottles! Allows for "occasional use" ink purchases (with the option of replacement or upgrade on completion, and not too much space taken in the drawer if only occasional use?!). I'm even thinking (Treachery! Storm the castle!) that I might pick up a couple of the Pilot inks that I've always wanted to try now that you can get 15ml for < $10 - those 50ml bottles take up too much real estate in my shoe-box!!

. . . . and the Kobe is (all are?) lovely ink . . . got a feeling I may cross paths with that one again in the future . . . but for now I am very content with:

Antietam = persimmon/tomato

Steen Rood = Brick

Oxblood

. . . . but I worked through a lot of samples (and a 30ml of Monaco Red) to get here.

. . . . oh, one that wasn't already listed was Diamine Blood Orange, I preferred Antietam in a face off but it was in the ball park! If you do get to "Burnt Orange" samples - please share! - I'll see if I can dig out my old papers!

Well after saying I wanted to go the smaller vessel route, here I am after a week or so of using Steenrood and of the 8-10 pens I keep inked at any given time, I have found myself reaching for the pen inked with this one 80% of the time... so of course when Vanness restocked the ink I impulsively went for it after some late night procrastination shopping. :D

Well after saying I wanted to go the smaller vessel route, here I am after a week or so of using Steenrood and of the 8-10 pens I keep inked at any given time, I have found myself reaching for the pen inked with this one 80% of the time... so of course when Vanness restocked the ink I impulsively went for it after some late night procrastination shopping. :D

Hurrah! I don't think you will experience even the slightest regret (and I guarantee you'll love the bottle!)! I continue to be stunned by this ink, so I don't think it's a one-trick-pony! I am particularly struck by how well it works with the murky olive and army greens, of which I have both way too many and never enough! Whoever introduced the pimento to the olive was onto something!

Taking a scenic detour from the headline topic, I was interested to find out more about this connection between strong orange-red and murky brown/yellow/green. Do you ever play with Encycolorpedia? I wondered if the two were "complementary" (=opposite) but was delighted to find that the "official" (by the latest schema!) opposite of Olive is a wonderful violet-blue (as Scabiosa is my first love!), but that there does seem to be a recurrent triangle between the olive/army/camo/moss greens, the salmon/coral/bricks and the gemstone violet-blues. All of these, especially when taken together, make me happy!

"The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love colour the most" - Ruskin (Whose issues are well documented!)

• 3 months later...

Didn't really think I would want a red ink, but after going through this entire topic a couple of times I now have three red ink samples. Montblanc Corn Poppy Red, J.Herbin Rouge Hematite and Diamine German exclusive Communication Breakdown:

post-149236-0-62171700-1569177395_thumb.jpeg

A nice saturated, red ink with golden sheen (not glitter as in Rouge Hematite). Some shading also visible. Dries down as a deeper shade where there is more ink, like in the end of strokes. Not pink, not orange, just red.

Edited by Ememel

VERY NICE

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 months later...

My only red is Sheaffer Skrip Red. I would like a brighter red. Is Diamine Poppy Red a brighter (less dark) red compared to Sheaffer Skrip Red?

Hope you don't mind me reposting this comparison:

http://f.cl.ly/items/023y223b0z1b2b2F1q1j/img004.jpg

I have a red inked up that is my new favorite. It is retina searing. Want a letter?

Sorry about the lines on the scan, they are not on the image even after scanning.

fpn_1582577155__maoxi.jpg

fpn_1582577099__2020_02_24_maoxi_001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wonderful Oxblood. Exquisite drawing!

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

Three pimentos to dress up my olive!
Not sure if these are red or orange - but that's an exciting borderland for me!
Antietam was my first choice, and does make a great pimento!
. . . . however, it was a bit fruity for the "brick" I was looking for, for which I selected Akkerman Steen Rood.
. . . . . however, in writing, where this tends to be my color for annotations and action-items, I have found Diamine Autumn Oak to be pleasantly less assertive. Also it's a great color with red, yellow and green elements all mixed in! I just wish it had a less seasonal name, 'cause I'm using this year-round!
fpn_1586550054__three_pimentos.jpg

Edited by pgcauk

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

large.2014-Ink_601-Iro_Fuyu-Gaki.jpg.1b6593183f532e49364e5fae28cb515e.jpg

Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu Gaki Winter Persimmon

large.2014-Ink_596-Diamine_Coral.jpg.6dc6eb2d579d4ffa4d82d87448264169.jpg

Diamine Coral somewhere I have the comparison with Lamy Coral which was a limited release.

While, I don't think of this as Red, it isn't purple either.

Iroshizuku Yama Budo. 

large.2014-Ink_595-Iro_Yama-Budo.jpg.b4baf89f1c805af73d96df605cf8364f.jpg

Toucan inks were made for mixing.  Here is Toucan Orange, Toucan Crimson and and then a mix of the two large.2014-Ink_221.jpg.5747cad032b33cf8c826b5ffdfa49e42.jpgToucan inks with Iroshizuku Yama Budo.

large.2014-Ink_592-Toucan_Orange.jpg.b43bbc2feb0c643e1a07f3dfb2780f44.jpglarge.2014-Ink_572-Toucan_Mix.jpg.22232b1edf4c22d6d2e862bd00cf66f6.jpg