Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Red - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

AWESOME thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so I've been looking for a "Brick" for a long time, which to me would be somewhere between orange, red and brown. I'm thinking dark enough for sustained writing rather than highlighter bright.

Kobe #39 is close but too red, Antietam is great but maybe a bit too fruity (more tomato/persimmon than brick)? I'm giving Ancient Copper another round but last time I got exasperated with all the smearing.

I just got through all 32 pages of this thread (broken over several sittings!) and new possibilities seem to be:

Akkerman Garuda Rood

KWZ Flame Red

Robert Oster Direct Sun

-but I'm not sure any of those will improve on the Kobe?

Suggestions appreciated!

p.s. I was really struck by the smear of Noodler's Beaver, but further research seems to push that under the Brown umberella?

Wow, those are both fascinating options, thank you!

I would love to see KWZ Brown #4 alongside Noodler's Beaver, and the Maruzen Renga alongside the Kobe (also KWZ Flame Red alongside Oster's Direct Sun).

I was disappointed (or relieved to save $28!) to find a conspiracy theory that the rather promising looking Garuda Rood is actually Diamine Monaco Red in disguise - I have and like Monaco, but it's rather pink in a wash . . . . . . Dutch Masters, Vermeer, looks rather alluring though (albeit with a Kobe level price tag!).

At least now I have some choices!

Here's what I have been working with:

fpn_1558635902__may_19b.jpg
fpn_1558635989__may_19a.jpg

I think I might have got some Oxblood mixed in with my Kobe sample!

This following is from years ago!

fpn_1496520735__red_cover.jpg

The following is borrowed, with all respect to copyright etc., from the good folks at VanNess (mostly) - what a great facility they provide!

fpn_1558638839__12_brick_wall.jpg

So - which look most "Brick" like to you? I quite fancy either the Flame or the Vermeer?

(The unlabelled "Shading" is Antietam).

You might also take a look at Monteverde Copper Noir

Add lightness and simplicate.

Wonderful comparisons!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Karmachanic, you are an enabler - and a good one, thank you!
The Monteverde looks lovely, and I also heard tell of SBRE Brown (which I don't think could be called in as red) - but too late! I was so struck by the Akkerman Vermeer, the kitchen floor tiles of my childhood, that I placed an order already, and threw in samples of Flame Red, Beaver, Brown #4 and Garuda Rood alongside. It was either this or plump for a full bottle of Kobe Brick, which is almost there, or take a punt on (and wait a month for) the Maruzen . . . . I don't think there's a loosing option in there, but sometimes you just have to make a choice!

Will report back!

OK, so I've been looking for a "Brick" for a long time, which to me would be somewhere between orange, red and brown. I'm thinking dark enough for sustained writing rather than highlighter bright.

Kobe #39 is close but too red, Antietam is great but maybe a bit too fruity (more tomato/persimmon than brick)? I'm giving Ancient Copper another round but last time I got exasperated with all the smearing.

I just got through all 32 pages of this thread (broken over several sittings!) and new possibilities seem to be:

Akkerman Garuda Rood

KWZ Flame Red

Robert Oster Direct Sun

-but I'm not sure any of those will improve on the Kobe?

Suggestions appreciated!

p.s. I was really struck by the smear of Noodler's Beaver, but further research seems to push that under the Brown umberella?

I have been on the exact quest that you are on, and haven't been successful just yet. Much prefer red-browns to pink-leaning reds. I love Brown #4, a very heavily red-leaning brown, but it is most certainly a brown first and foremost. Also tried Monteverde Red Velvet/Canyon Rust/Copper Noir, Taccia Cha, Blackstone Red Kunzea, and Montblanc Toffee Brown but each were missing that something something.

I have been on the exact quest that you are on, and haven't been successful just yet. Much prefer red-browns to pink-leaning reds. I love Brown #4, a very heavily red-leaning brown, but it is most certainly a brown first and foremost. Also tried Monteverde Red Velvet/Canyon Rust/Copper Noir, Taccia Cha, Blackstone Red Kunzea, and Montblanc Toffee Brown but each were missing that something something.

Viva, any chance of a comparison page?

. . . . even if they're "not quite right" they may help us in our navigation?

. . . . and, as it's you, have you discovered the delights of brick reds in association with "neutral" olive greens (I just finished a quilt with Arugula, Kitano etc.)? Throw in some mustard (and or violets!) and we're in Tapas Bar color heaven!

fpn_1558980496__tapas_bar_b2.jpg

Edited by pgcauk

Viva, any chance of a comparison page?

. . . . even if they're "not quite right" they may help us in our navigation?

. . . . and, as it's you, have you discovered the delights of brick reds in association with "neutral" olive greens (I just finished a quilt with Arugula, Kitano etc.)? Throw in some mustard (and or violets!) and we're in Tapas Bar color heaven!

fpn_1558980496__tapas_bar_b2.jpg

Love these quilts of yours - great colors! Might have to try this out with Kingdom Note Uca arcuata, and Kobe #39/#45 for this coming month.

Here is a comparison of some swabs, most of which fall into the brick red category, and some for comparison sake (some browns and true reds).

vVZTwWx.png

Wow, Viva, that is a terrific collection and a great resource - thank you!

Great to see a comparative view of many of the inks mentioned (and quite a few new ideas). Particularly struck by the Higashiyama, which certainly is very close to many of the bricks in my neighborhood, and the Birmingham Riot Ember (last time I looked through their selection I thought Washington Sunset might be a candidate, but assumed it would be too bright) - reminds me a bit of the Terre De Feu I dug out again yesterday?

Hmmm, that Urushi Red is rather fetching too . . . .

I hesitate to ask the ratio of bottles to samples in such a collection!

I would say 3/4 at least do fall under my experience of bricks! It was actually the Moonlight of Higashiyama sample in Vromans' Bookstore that made me resolute that there are more bricks in the world than dull dark red. I walked around the block the other day taking snapshots of bricks! There were indeed the dull reds, but orange browns were common too. I looked at posting a couple of snaps that quite resemble your sample sheet above, but found that photos from my phone exceed the 2-megabyte limit for direct uploads (what's up with that!) so need to wait 'til the lab. becomes available! Updated:

fpn_1559087105__img_20190525_130825.jpg

See, there are dull red-browns, but quite a lot of orange too!

This next one has some lovely orange ochres:

fpn_1559087213__img_20190525_130834.jpg

One more - more Renga stylee (actually some pretty great purples?!):

fpn_1559087364__img_20190525_130900.jpg

My Vermeer + samples should be arriving today. I have a comparison sheet already made for ten inks in a range between Rustic Brown (purple border) and Antietam (orange border) - if anything proves interesting, I will post an update. Update:

So I prepared this page whilst waiting for my Ink order to compare four existing inks with five new ones:

fpn_1559087473__10_bricks_large.jpg

That's Diamine Rustic Brown on the left, Antietam on the right, everything else clearly labelled I hope.

First impressions:

The Steen Rood is what I was looking for - yay!

The two new Browns are not bricks to me, but Beaver is quite lovely and KWZ #4 is knock your socks off gorgeous.

Don't think the next one worked as well, but I'll add for completeness:

fpn_1559087755__10_bricks_small.jpg

All written with the same Bandzug dip-pen.

. . . . but I still had that conspiracy theory in the back of my head that I'd just spent a block of money on re-labelled Diamine's (that I already owned!) - one more . . . .

fpn_1559087931__6_red_oranges_ii.jpg

- from the initial writing and water-smears I couldn't shake the conspiracy, but with the paintbrush at the bottom (left to right repeats vertical order) I think the differences are clear? If Steen Rood is Diamine, then it's somewhere between Ancient Copper and Ochre.
Phew!
I hope that's helpful to someone other than me!

Edited by pgcauk

Steen Rood. I am happy with this one!

For now anyway. :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

Wow, Viva, that is a terrific collection and a great resource - thank you!

Great to see a comparative view of many of the inks mentioned (and quite a few new ideas). Particularly struck by the Higashiyama, which certainly is very close to many of the bricks in my neighborhood, and the Birmingham Riot Ember (last time I looked through their selection I thought Washington Sunset might be a candidate, but assumed it would be too bright) - reminds me a bit of the Terre De Feu I dug out again yesterday?

Hmmm, that Urushi Red is rather fetching too . . . .

I hesitate to ask the ratio of bottles to samples in such a collection!

I would say 3/4 at least do fall under my experience of bricks! It was actually the Moonlight of Higashiyama sample in Vromans' Bookstore that made me resolute that there are more bricks in the world than dull dark red. I walked around the block the other day taking snapshots of bricks! There were indeed the dull reds, but orange browns were common too. I looked at posting a couple of snaps that quite resemble your sample sheet above, but found that photos from my phone exceed the 2-megabyte limit for direct uploads (what's up with that!) so need to wait 'til the lab. becomes available! Updated:

fpn_1559087105__img_20190525_130825.jpg

See, there are dull red-browns, but quite a lot of orange too!

This next one has some lovely orange ochres:

fpn_1559087213__img_20190525_130834.jpg

One more - more Renga stylee (actually some pretty great purples?!):

fpn_1559087364__img_20190525_130900.jpg

My Vermeer + samples should be arriving today. I have a comparison sheet already made for ten inks in a range between Rustic Brown (purple border) and Antietam (orange border) - if anything proves interesting, I will post an update. Update:

So I prepared this page whilst waiting for my Ink order to compare four existing inks with five new ones:

fpn_1559087473__10_bricks_large.jpg

That's Diamine Rustic Brown on the left, Antietam on the right, everything else clearly labelled I hope.

First impressions:

The Steen Rood is what I was looking for - yay!

The two new Browns are not bricks to me, but Beaver is quite lovely and KWZ #4 is knock your socks off gorgeous.

Don't think the next one worked as well, but I'll add for completeness:

fpn_1559087755__10_bricks_small.jpg

All written with the same Bandzug dip-pen.

. . . . but I still had that conspiracy theory in the back of my head that I'd just spent a block of money on re-labelled Diamine's (that I already owned!) - one more . . . .

fpn_1559087931__6_red_oranges_ii.jpg

- from the initial writing and water-smears I couldn't shake the conspiracy, but with the paintbrush at the bottom (left to right repeats vertical order) I think the differences are clear? If Steen Rood is Diamine, then it's somewhere between Ancient Copper and Ochre.

Phew!

I hope that's helpful to someone other than me!

What a wonderful comparison! Fortunately, not too many of the swabs have full bottles (4 by my count: Taccia Aka, Kobe #39, KWZI Brown #4, and Franklin-Christoph Urushi Red). Though, I do see myself putting in an order for the Taccia Cha. That brand has been a really pleasant surprise, I suspect Sailor makes their inks.

The Higashiyama Moonlight (and by extension KWZI Monarch) really do match up nicely to the middle set of bricks. I want to try both Faber Castell's and Robert Oster's takes on Burned Orange as well. I cannot say that I have ever noticed purple bricks before, but thanks to this post I am going to start paying closer attention to these things! I'm glad to see another fall for Brown #4 - I always have to stare at it for a bit after putting pen to paper.

I need to get my hands on a sample of this Steen Rood - truthfully, I have never tried an Akkerman ink before.

Karmachanic - how come you know me so well when we've never met?

Viva - why did you have do mention Uca arcuata? I don't need that at all! . . . or Ina Ho!! I am very happy with my current "mustard"! No, I don't need any more mustards or golds . . . . even from KWZ . . . . or Callifolio . . . .
Hey, I gots me some ink samples, I'm going to keep playing with them:

fpn_1559265185__10_brick_quilt.jpg

Steen Rood throughout (I have 120ml!!), each of the others gets 2 rows.

Antietam and Ancient Copper look close enough to be hair-splitting, but those are two very different inks!)

I need to get my hands on a sample of this Steen Rood - truthfully, I have never tried an Akkerman ink before.

Hmmm, I'm going to be honest here. I'm not going to say it's the same, but if you have Ancient Copper I am not sure there is enough difference to justify both. It's hard for me as I had a strong initial reaction against Ancient Copper (which I found to be over-saturated and smeary), and now have a positive reaction to Steen Rood (shading and color - a match for my '70s Waterman!), but I couldn't say they aren't the same thing!

fpn_1559350898__img_20190531_142232.jpg

Confronting (your own) prejudice can be an uncomfortable task! It is distinct from Kobe #39, but it's close, and the Kobe comes with all the usual Kobe goodness!

However, this was my first Akkerman ink and I have to say, the bottle is a thing of wonder! I was worried that it would be a real white elephant, and wouldn't even fit into my poor monastic cell, but it is a marvelous, simple, functional object and the perfect centerpiece for any desk! Every ink aficionado should have at least one!

. . . . that Sap Green looks nice? (Doh! It's Diamine Meadow!)

Edited by pgcauk