Shin-Kai (Deep Sea) - Crv - Group Review - 2014-12

Lou Erickson

Interesting that you find it "deepening and darkening" as it dries. In my limited use so far, I find it graying and fading as it dries. It stays pretty true to its wet color on Rhodia for me, but on Leuchtturm, Tomoe River, Quo Vadis, or Midori, it grays out. I had the same experience with Diamine Registrar's Blue-Black.

Private Reserve Midnight Blues is staying dark and lovely on every paper so far, though. (I'm trying out several blue-black inks at the moment.)

It may have to do with the pen; when I had shin-kai in my fine-nibbed Nakaya (which is so dry that I am actually sending it back to Nakaya for a nib adjustment -- that is, if I can ever bring myself to package it up) it did not act the same at all; still went on blue and changed, but everything was lighter, chalkier. The 2000 and the Go I used in that review are pretty wet writers (the Go, especially) it goes on brighter and dries a darker blue-gray. The scan of the review actually came out a bit lighter than the page actually looks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou Erickson

• amberleadavis

• mtnbiker62

• Sailor Kenshin

Hmmm . . . I've been using it in a Pelikan M800 with a medium nib. It lays down a lot of ink, but it's not the wettest writer I own. Maybe I'll try it in something even wetter.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

What great reviews!

I have scans to upload, if I can ever get time. Might be next week; I'll make sure the scans are on the laptop when I go on my trip. I have a CRV of my own of Shin-kai and Tsuki-yo, and a response to Amberlea's great CRV, which includes some Pilot Blue-Black.

I saw the big differences when I wrote the CRVs - the header at the top of the page is from an extremely wet, wide stub, while my CRVs were ordinary Medium nibs, and very different.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

BTW, this thread may move (again) to a new CRV forum. Stay tuned.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I wonder how is Shin Kai is in comparison to pilot blue black (which is one of my fav so far). If Someone can do detailed comparison (I don't have shin kai yet!!!)

I wonder how is Shin Kai is in comparison to pilot blue black (which is one of my fav so far). If Someone can do detailed comparison (I don't have shin kai yet!!!)

I'm working on one right now...should have it up in a couple of days. On my Kokuyo notebook paper, they both dry to a greyish blue, but the Pilot Blue Black looks a little bluer...if that makes sense.

I'm working on one right now...should have it up in a couple of days. On my Kokuyo notebook paper, they both dry to a greyish blue, but the Pilot Blue Black looks a little bluer...if that makes sense.

What about flow and lubrication, do you feel any difference writing with the same pen? It bothers me that they are so much alike, Shin-Kai is one of the few colors of Iroshizuku that I can easily relate to.

What about flow and lubrication, do you feel any difference writing with the same pen? It bothers me that they are so much alike, Shin-Kai is one of the few colors of Iroshizuku that I can easily relate to.

That helps mtnbiker62 .... .... arcadeflow, based on my experience with 5 other iroshizuku inks I feel the flow and lubrication are almost same but, pilot blue black is little more spreading ink, it writes little broader line from same nib.

That helps mtnbiker62 .... .... arcadeflow, based on my experience with 5 other iroshizuku inks I feel the flow and lubrication are almost same but, pilot blue black is little more spreading ink, it writes little broader line from same nib.

Would you say Pilot Blue/Black is a bit wetter? I've seen a comparison of these inks before and the reviewer claimed they looked almost the same, and didn't recommend the more expensive bottle. Then I found this other comparison: http://estilofilos.blogspot.com.br/2012/10/inks-and-marketing.html and it seems Shin-Kai has the potential to be darker, and less blue. I already ordered the Blue-Black, I am waiting for it (it takes 2-4 months for me to receive some packages because of customs), and I am trying to order Shin-Kai from Amazon partners, they have not shipped it yet, I am not sure I will be able to, but it was the least prohibitive price I found, about $22 shipped. If this comparison is accurate, I could enjoy owning both colors.

It's hard to describe but pilot blue blueblack and black all 3 inks have unique characteristic that makes them easy to flow but again they are not wet and they spread more on paper so line width you achieve is little more then other inks. I think it has something to do with surface tension. Usually such inks are prone to bleed through but pilot inks are not so much while still having that quality. One other such ink is noodlers bad belted kingfisher. I prefer these inks in dry and fine nibs where I want it to write little broad like my custom 823 medium nib. I exclusively use pilot blue or blueblack in those pen. So probably pilot blue black may be similar in shade it will work differently in different pens.

Here's my side-by-side-by-side comparison of Iroshizuku Shin-kai, Pilot Blue-black and Diamine Midnight. I failed to note it on the paper, but this comparison was written on Tomoe River paper.

post-107015-0-49782100-1417997454_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtnbiker62

Thank you. It seems they are different, but writing with it makes it look similar to Pilot Blue-Black. One probably has to experience it for himself to figure out what they prefer. The image is a bit low on resolution, kind of hard to notice other aspects of the ink, but I see a fainter shading on Blue-Black. I didn't like Midnight very much in person, it was too dark and saturated, too blue.

Hey all,

What is the water resistance like on this ink? I need to find a good everyday ink for a Parker 51 and I'm thinking this might be a good fit for a vintage pen.

I see we've moved. That's fine. I have scans of some CRVs, including another of Shin-kai and Pilot blue-black, but have to resize them and get them posted. Traveling has taken all my time this weekend.

Great stuff coming, in, please keep it up!

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Here's my side-by-side-by-side comparison of Iroshizuku Shin-kai, Pilot Blue-black and Diamine Midnight. I failed to note it on the paper, but this comparison was written on Tomoe River paper.

Here's a link to the higher resolution picture

SCN_0003

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_2116.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker and have a particular fondness for the Iroshizuku inks. I've never done an ink review before so here's my contribution with some random thoughts.

As indicated in my scan, the water resistance with this ink seems to be quite good compared to the other Iroshizuku inks.

post-6312-0-73729500-1418811029_thumb.jpg

GREAT JOB! Welcome aboard.