Sailor 1911 Profit Std Federal Blue Vs Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

mknoblauch

I was wondering if anyone out there owned a Sailor 1911 Standard Profit in the "Duke & Federal Blue" edition... I first saw this pen on eBay about 6 months ago and was intrigued to find another translucent blue pen a la Platinum 3776 Chartres blue. I stumbled on it again on Engeika's website, and can't stop wondering about it.

Sailor 1911 Std Profit in Duke & Federal Blue.pngThe "Duke and Federal Blue" looks to be darker than the Chartres Blue color, and I in both the eBay photos and the ones on engeika.com that I saw, the translucence was only noticeable in the close up photo of the cap, suggesting that perhaps the resin on the Sailor might be thicker. Or maybe it is simply owing to the darker color?

Both the 3776 Century Chartres and 1911 Standard are great pens are great pens from the reviews I have read, but if anyone has some insight regarding the 1911 Federal Blue, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by mknoblauch

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mknoblauch

• KBeezie

• Aurko

• zchen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

found some photos on a Pen-House for the blue 1911.

you may also wish to look into the Shinning Blue version of the Sailor Promenade, it's only translucent when you shine a direct light on it though.

Edited by zchen

found some photos on a Pen-House for the blue 1911.

you may also wish to look into the Shinning Blue version of the Sailor Promenade, it's only translucent when you shine a direct light on it though.

Thank for the suggestion, ZChen. I'll admit I had never seen the Promenade before. I like the finish of both the blue and the red Promenade pens. It is hard for me to understand how Sailor has segmented the Japanese domestic market with both the 1911 Profit Standard and the 1911 Promenade, as it seems like they would overlap.

As it is, Engeika has the regular 1911 Standards at around $103, nearly $20 over the Promenade prices (the Federal blue one I mentioned above is only $98). For $85, the Promenade is a great price at which to get into a 14K gold nib, no matter what the brand. The "shinning" sparkly blue Promenade finish reminds me of a blue Platinum Balance (solid color, model PGB-3000) I had but gave away to a colleague that I really did know would become hooked on fountain pens.... The Promenade could very well become its replacement!

fpn_1417493073__platinum_balance_pgb-300

Edited by mknoblauch

$85 is a great price at which to get into a 14K gold nib, no matter what the brand.

Though a new pen with a 14K nib can be had at around $45-60 with either the Platinum PTL-5000 (14K Nib) or the PTL-10000 (18K nib). The Cool/Balance doesn't seem to be that much of a value at the same price unless you really must have the color or the thickness.

But in terms of Blue and 14K, you could probably do both of those with a Persian Blue Sheaffer Craftsman for $25 or less. Like how I got this restored Craftsman in Persian Blue for $25.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sheaffer_trio/uncapped.jpg

:P Course it ain't no Sailor 1911 or Platinum Century 3776, but it's blue and it has a 14K nib.

@KBeezie

You're right.... There's always the vintage option for 14K nibs! Not that I get hung up on steel vs gold nibs, but I do use it as a consideration of what I'm getting in return for what I am paying when it comes to an NOS or vintage purchase. Take for example our fairly recent discussion re: the Platinum big cap pen with steel nib vs the Pilot Elites out there... you helped me see that the value just isn't there in the Platinum big cap model, unless there.

You hit the nail on the head: My love for the solid color Balance PNB-3000 is because of color and thickness. It also was the first real Platinum pen I had used (Preppies and Plaisirs don't count in my book), and I fell in love with the buttery nib, which was as smooth as my Kaweco Dia broad that cost more than three times as much.

The reason I have seriously thought about replacing the basic blue Balance is because it is a pen I both truly enjoy and that I can comfortably leave at work without losing sleep over it getting lost, stolen or broken by someone "borrowing" my pen. A $50 value is the upper limit in terms of what I feel comfortable leaving behind. Vintage and NOS pens do not fall into the leave behind category, unless they are ubiquitous and easily replaced, such as the Pilot Elite and Reform 1745 (I also am noticing now that they are only halfway to my $50 limit; I don't think I'd leave an Estie behind!).

I have been looking at the PTL-5000 and 10000 on Engeika's website, and am impressed with the price-value proposition they offer. I could see myself with a red one. And if I loved the steel medium nib on the Balance, I am sure I'd be drooling over the PTL-5000's performance. The PTL-10000 seems nice, too, but I don't know whether I, ham-fisted as I am, would personally be able to appreciate a quality difference over the 5000.

I have been looking at the PTL-5000 and 10000 on Engeika's website, and am impressed with the price-value proposition they offer. I could see myself with a red one. And if I loved the steel medium nib on the Balance, I am sure I'd be drooling over the PTL-5000's performance. The PTL-10000 seems nice, too, but I don't know whether I, ham-fisted as I am, would personally be able to appreciate a quality difference over the 5000.

The 10K certainly has a different overall feel, the nib is thicker and firmer feeling, the body itself has a little more weight and thickness to it (though not as thick as the balance/cool, as it's still resin). And the 18K nib doesn't stain as much as the smaller 14K one. Overall it just 'feels' a bit more substantial compared to the 5k.

Though it would be nice aesthetically if they made either in something other than black or red. Least the red isn't a straight burgundy, it's more of a cranberry of sort (ever so slightly purple leaning).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/ptl10000/uncapped.jpg

But far as blues go, the Blue on the Sailor 1911M I had was rather attractive, especially if you like a darker blue with a gold trim.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/1911M/uncapped.jpg

The Zoom nib just wasn't for me, if I could easily get it with something like a 14K FM (or HFM) at the price of a Platinum Century 3776, I probably would. Most of my inclination has been towards Pilot pens lately, so would be kind of a pain to throw another filling system into the mix lol. (I could always look at the 1911 Realo, since that's sailor's Piston filling line).

The 10K certainly has a different overall feel, the nib is thicker and firmer feeling, the body itself has a little more weight and thickness to it (though not as thick as the balance/cool, as it's still resin). And the 18K nib doesn't stain as much as the smaller 14K one. Overall it just 'feels' a bit more substantial compared to the 5k.

Though it would be nice aesthetically if they made either in something other than black or red. Least the red isn't a straight burgundy, it's more of a cranberry of sort (ever so slightly purple leaning).

But far as blues go, the Blue on the Sailor 1911M I had was rather attractive, especially if you like a darker blue with a gold trim.

Your comments on the PTL-10000 are interesting... I wouldn't have expected there to be such a jump from the 5000 in terms of feel and finish. I'll keep it in mind, but would probably want to try one out first.

I am definitely interested in these 1911 models, and the blue one you had would be nice with a medium nib, but I have to get my translucent blue pen first, whether it is the 1911 in Federal Blue or the Chartres Blue 3776.

Sailor 1911S Federal Blue is a very deep and dark blue, and it looks almost black until you get it in the right lighting. I think that it's actually quite beautiful in a conservative way. Chartres Blue is more translucent and a little less subtle, but still pretty good looking. I got the federal blue not too long ago as a gift for my girlfriend.

I think I would recommend the Federal Blue, personally, but you wouldn't go wrong with the Platinum. And yep, there's lots of other great pen options, and I hope you find one that appeals to you!