How Many '51's' Is Too Many?

octatonic

Wow. I wanna go shopping where you shop....

Mostly around the Pittsburgh area I find Sheaffer school pens and Wearevers.... The two 51s I found in October were a fluke, because the last time I was in that particular antiques mall there was a whole lot of "not much". The best I ever saw before that was a Azure Pearl Vac with a mangled nib (the price of the pen itself wasn't bad but when I went on here to get information on nib repairs/replacements I would have had to talk the dealer down a whole lot further); and a Golden Pearl Vac (might have been a Maxima) at a place going out of business -- again, the price was *probably* pretty good, and if I had had the cash on me I might have talked the dealer down a bit further (but I got sidetracked and didn't call the place back in time and I don't know where (or if) that dealer moved on (of course everything the guy sold was *supposedly* "bakelite" -- and he might have been claiming that for the Vac as well...). Oh, and my first Snorkel (and I happened to stop in to the same place last weekend and again there was a whole lot of "not much" this time around).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Needless to say, it took a number of years to acquire that many 51's in the wild, and they seem to be getting harder to find. Since we both live in Pittsburgh, I suspect we might be visiting some of the same places. Although I occasionally buy from antiques shops, most of my purchases come from garage sales, estate sales, and flea markets. I bought a very nice 51 Flighter set this summer just by asking at a garage sale, "Do you have any old pens for sale?"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• octatonic

• JotterAddict62

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

Needless to say, it took a number of years to acquire that many 51's in the wild, and they seem to be getting harder to find. Since we both live in Pittsburgh, I suspect we might be visiting some of the same places. Although I occasionally buy from antiques shops, most of my purchases come from garage sales, estate sales, and flea markets. I bought a very nice 51 Flighter set this summer just by asking at a garage sale, "Do you have any old pens for sale?"

I hit estate sales occasionally, but have never seen pens at any of them, except once a sterling silver BP (and that was recently). I have gotten some nice furniture at estate auctions (and a practically new Cuisinart for $30, because the unit and the discs were priced separately, and in different rooms and my husband and I were the only one who noticed) but that was before my pen buying days. I did go to one a couple of months ago that was actually at an antiques shop as it turned out.The two 51s I got in October was the sumgai of a lifetime because I knew enough to look past the third tier brand on the one and the Frontier cap on the other. B) And the joke is, I had really only gone in the antiques mall to try and find a small writing desk for myself, but figured that while I was there anyway I'd just look at every booth and scored big time. :thumbup:

BTW -- the $2 Estie could very well still be there at the third booth that had pens....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A ripple 51? pleeease show us a picture!

Here it is. Some were made with both hood and barrel, but only barrels were left when I saw them at the Ohio Pen Show several years ago, so this one has a black hood. Lucky to have it, as I understand they are no longer made or available (at least from Howard).

post-265-0-23109200-1418873966_thumb.jpg

I have had a bit of a volte face concerning 51s. I enjoy my two full size aeros, and they get used quite a bit. I hope to enjoy my really user grade Vac if it survives restoration. It's funny how a beat up old pen can inspire loyalty, and that Vac cost me a mere $29 and has quite a bit of wear to the gold cap but I loved it from the moment I had it in my hand. Cost me $20 +$15 shipping to get the diaphragm redone and it came back with the feed sticking so far out as to be... well, it was unbelievable. Couldn't afford to send it back to the restorer. Another very kind member has agreed to have a look at it for me. Hope she survives.

Anyway, I was looking for a plum, but that's extra hard to do here in New Zealand, and with no overseas aid beyond mere information it's just a fruitless waste of time. And as time passed I realised that I wasn't that keen on them. A forest green with a GF cap passed my eyes and caught my attention briefly, but no. Not interested.

Then I saw my grail 51 - you know how you just know, right? - a Cedar Blue Vac demi with a silver cap. It was beautiful. It was being sold by a member here. I didn't know that bit. I was following the auction and had no idea how much it would go for. I was going to bid, a Christmas prezzy for me. I got called to a meeting right near the end of the auction and it got sold for about $60.

I actually felt physically sick. Can you imagine? Once in a lifetime chance, gone, just like that.

I don't think that some of you who live in the US fully appreciate how lucky you are with regard to local market access.

So, how many is too many? For me, I just want that one. That will make 2 aeros, a fullsize vac and a demi vac. That will do me! The rest of you can have the plums and the double jewels to yourselves! :D

^beautiful ripple 51! Who made those?

Added another 51 to my collection today, this time a Signet.

Howard Levy of Bexley Pens made a limited number of these. Congrats on your Signet. They are beautiful pens.

Phew! Prices!

I found my grail P51 at the London Pen Show this year - a very ordinary aero, burgundy (didn't mind about the colour), no date code, cap free of dents and scratches, and (and hereby hangs the tale) a very nice fine nib. And as it wouldn't write even when dipped I took a chance on it just being gunged up and I got it for GBP 20 (down from 30).

Flushed and filled, and all's well. Cheap/common enough to be usable without worrying about it :)

edit: added words to make it intelligible. Memo to self: read before posting :wallbash:

Edited by PDW

I picked up 2 more today (my 4th and 5th) in what I hope will be a great deal - http://tinyurl.com/n38g5rk .

There's not much detail in the listing, although from exchanges with the (not too knowledgeable) seller, it seems one of the caps is not too flash, although I do have a spare. I have a couple of black ones, but this will be my first Dove Grey. I'll report back when I've had a chance to examine them.

Mario

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

I picked up 2 more today (my 4th and 5th) in what I hope will be a great deal - http://tinyurl.com/n38g5rk .

There's not much detail in the listing, although from exchanges with the (not too knowledgeable) seller, it seems one of the caps is not too flash, although I do have a spare. I have a couple of black ones, but this will be my first Dove Grey. I'll report back when I've had a chance to examine them.

Mario

Hell of a deal there Mario if the only issue is one missing jewel.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy