How Many '51's' Is Too Many?

octatonic

I had 5 at one point: 3 aeros, a demi and a vac. One aero got sold to someone who would better appreciate a broad nib - sold quite cheap too - and the vac has gone overseas because the feed was set too far forward by a restorer and I couldn't afford to keep sending it back and forth.

I am left with a strictly user grade aero with a fine nib and a bit nicer aero in midnight blue with a fine to medium nib. Oh, and a demi with a cracked hood. Stopped looking at them now. It's just too disheartening. The vac cost me all of $29. Then a further $50 (incl. shipping) to get a new diaphragm. I shouldn't have to send it back to have the feed reset.

And these are just pens with standard old nibs. A CI grind is a pipe dream. I use my remaining 2 51s quite a lot each day and really like them, but I can no longer afford to take the risk of dealing with lying traders or lackadaisical restorers. They have effectively excluded me from the game, alas.

Not to worry. I still have my clunkers. :)

EDIT: just noticed that this is my 1000th post. Woohoo! :D

Edited by Cryptos

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• octatonic

• JotterAddict62

• OcalaFlGuy

• inkstainedruth

I think I have 22, and more than that is too many. Arbitrary, I know, but for the moment it's keeping me from buying any more. Plus, prices seemed to go way up about two years ago on the 'bay.

I too love the demis, they are a perfect fit for most shirt pockets.

My favorite 51 is my Cedar Blue vac with Lustraloy cap. Something about the Cedar Blue color...

I don't own any of the rarer colors or a flighter. Still might break down someday and go after a flighter, we'll see.

Enjoy your 51s! There are far worse obsessions to have.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I have:-

6 Vacumatics (3 1941 of which 1 is a Demonstrator)

9 Aerometric Mk I (inc. 1 desk pen and 1 Argentine)

2 Demi

1 Special

1 Mk II

1 Mk III

and 3 2002 Special Editions, which I don't count as 51s as they are realy just Sonnets in drag :)

Peter

"Sonnets in drag" really made me smile. Nice turn of phrase Matlock!

Thank you amk. Not a bad pen but 51 they are not.

Peter

I think I have 22, and more than that is too many. Arbitrary, I know, but for the moment it's keeping me from buying any more. Plus, prices seemed to go way up about two years ago on the 'bay.

I too love the demis, they are a perfect fit for most shirt pockets.

My favorite 51 is my Cedar Blue vac with Lustraloy cap. Something about the Cedar Blue color...

I don't own any of the rarer colors or a flighter. Still might break down someday and go after a flighter, we'll see.

Enjoy your 51s! There are far worse obsessions to have.

Couldn't agree more about the prices going up. I stepped away from collecting pens about 4 years ago, back then common 51s were easily obtained for $20-30. It's hard to find an unrestored aero for $30 now.

Write Again

-Paul K

What is too many? Well, to more than I have at any time, since one more for me would be entirely reasonable.

I have 4, a teal aero, a burgundy vac, a flighter and a fantasy in centennial blue.

My wife has 4, a teal demi aero, a burgundy vac, a burgundy desk pen with broad nib and a 2002 blue SE.

So 4 seems to be about the right number!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

29 is too many. I have 28. :lol: About half are Aeros that work and the other half Vacs that don't (need re-sac, but despite that I love their blue diamond gold clip caps). Favs include the Flighters first, then the Midnight Blues with Lustraloy caps and the Blue Cedars with gold clip coin silver caps.

Edit: Correct "Areos". Typical.

Edited by Nihontochicken

Nihonto Chicken

I have 28. :lol: About half are Areos that work and the other half Vacs that don't

<Snicker>

That's beautiful.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I have two. A standard-sized Black aerometric filler and a Parker 51 special set of fountain pen and pencil in navy grey, which I got mint in box. I think the 51 is my favorite vintage pen and I'm always on the lookout to acquire more if it's being sold by a local collector (haven't tried buying it online yet). I find these pens very reliable writers. Since I first got one, I always have it in my daily carry. So, to answer your question on how many is too much? I really don't know. I'd like to own 51s in many different colors. ^_^ I guess as long as you're spending within a reasonable budget, you're alright?

Thank you for the kind words Dave, the pleasure of being pen friends with you has been all mine.

I believe this is the exact pen that is your favorite.

Plum1.JPGPlum2.JPG

Normally, I would Never consider selling even One of my 51's. Except that it was clear to me that You Needed this Demi Plum MORE than I did. If someone somehow manages to get even More happiness from a pen than I do, perhaps they are the one who should own it.

You made me go count. That I could find, I have 11 and most of a 12th (Cocoa Aero, GF cap)

1 Cedar Blue Vac, BD Lustraloy, 1 Midnight Blue Aero with a Sterling Vac 51 cap, the rest are all Aeros. Only 1 other Demi, a Black/Lustraloy that I got to replace one my Father gave me when I was about 13. (That I promptly lost because I thought compared to my Sheaffer clear Blue School pens, was boring.)

Favs? Hmm.

I do have a little bit of a flashy side that stays hidden, tucked away, most of the time. Every now and then it escapes. For those times my fav is probably this one. It has (just) a very smooth, wetter Findium nib in it, not even ground, but it came from Kullock writing So Close to Precisely how I like my 51's to write it was astounding. I have absolute no desire to change anything with it. (Ok, Other than the fact the it Really Needs a Chevron Vac Major cap band on it.)

Kullock2.jpg

But on the majority of the days, when I want Just. The. Best. Writing. 51, that too is an easy choice. It started looking like this.

DSC00168.JPG

Then, I lost it's beautiful GT cap. :crybaby: (No, I'd rather not discuss how. Yes, I Do Need a GT cap. Really.)

For now, it's wearing this cap.

PHOTO_20140916_134503.jpgPHOTO_20140916_134635.jpg

Ryan Roossinck refinished this cap, I call this configuration, The Confederate. No matter what hat it wears, it and it's Cedar Blue twin with a nearly identical Masuyama CI, are the 2 I grab first from the burning house.

Octatonic, maybe we should reactivate Special Ops Team 51 for a Forest Green 51 Aero Demi , GF cap for you. :puddle: We didn't miss that nice one here on FPN by much...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce, that blue 51...*clutches my heart*

No I don't think you can have enough 51's. I too was introduced to them by Bruce when he sold me my first. Now I have five, three full size aeros, one demi aero, and one vac.. He also got me into Esterbrooks J's, of which I know have seven. Bruce is a great guy but he is an enabler for sure.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I think Parker stopped keeping records of the model 51, after twenty million. I have heard that

35 million were produced. One collector thinks 60 million.

Good news >> There are plenty of Parker 51's in the world.

Bad news >> International rules will record you as a "collector" at FIVE Parker 51 fountain pens.

You have no recourse, but you have good company. :D

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I vehemently deny being a "collector". I will, however, admit to being (by Bruce's definition -- if I'm spelling it correctly) an "accumuluser".... :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm still trying to get over the concept of people counting pens.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I had to go count. I Think I got them all. :blush:

I'd be lucky if I could come within 10 pens on a total.

I kept track for a few years until I checked the total ($) one day.

That cured That.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl