Upcoming Changes To Fpn

wimg

Hi Wim,

Thank you for the reply. After I posted I wondered if there if there is a better way to communicate perceived hiccups on the site other than to post them publicly?

I appreciate the honor of being part of your fountain pen community.

Best,

David

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• amberleadavis

• Betweenthelines

I think you went a little overboard in the inks section. There are four categories of ink reviews. I don't see how having more than one person doing a review matters. And having an entire form for pretty much kwzi seems a bit shortsighted. That section just looks overwhelming and means you have to look in 3 places for info on any particular ink you had in mind.

I think you went a little overboard in the inks section. There are four categories of ink reviews. I don't see how having more than one person doing a review matters. And having an entire form for pretty much kwzi seems a bit shortsighted. That section just looks overwhelming and means you have to look in 3 places for info on any particular ink you had in mind.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

The section that you describe as all KWZI is Th-INKing Outside the Bottle and it is for all inks not readily commercially available. It includes any test inks and inks to available to the mass market. Susemai ink powders are there and in the future, other inks will be there as well. After opening it up to commentary, we did not include inks that are hard to get (Sailor LEs) in the "Outside the Bottle" forum, because as a group, we decided it was confusing.

For a detailed explanation of what to find where - or more specifically, what to post where, check out this thread.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nice to see a chat room here finally! ;)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

A number of changes, no harm done, and the Lamy people don't have to wear kilts any more.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

A number of changes, no harm done, and the Lamy people don't have to wear kilts any more.

LOL

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

By accident the "Test, please ignore" topic got truncated.

Actually, the new topic loads much faster. We like it.

So be aware that some of the mega topics will be closed in the near future, after which we will give them a Phoenix-crash-course, so they can be resurrected rejuvenated.

Be aware you may have to reset your follow lists for these topics.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Just out of interest would it be possible extend the amount of time members are able to edit posts for to for example a week. As in the past I've made spelling mistakes and grammatical and had no ability to change them due to the 24hr limit.

If you'd like to correct spelling errors and such after the 24 hour period, please ask a moderator or admin, or report your own post with an indication of what you would like changed.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

If you'd like to correct spelling errors and such after the 24 hour period, please ask a moderator or admin, or report your own post with an indication of what you would like changed.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

.. N o w he tells Us !

some 4k errors later :huh:

:lol:

:D

I did mention this before, but I guess things get lost in the onslaught of new messages each day :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I'm sorry you feel that way.

The section that you describe as all KWZI is Th-INKing Outside the Bottle and it is for all inks not readily commercially available. It includes any test inks and inks to available to the mass market. Susemai ink powders are there and in the future, other inks will be there as well. After opening it up to commentary, we did not include inks that are hard to get (Sailor LEs) in the "Outside the Bottle" forum, because as a group, we decided it was confusing.

For a detailed explanation of what to find where - or more specifically, what to post where, check out this thread.

Well, I apologize for not being very clear. From my subjective impression after seeing the changes and navitagint the site, I know why the Kwzi inks are in that section, a section that is about 95% Kwzi. The question is, is that forum going to be the hot off-brand of the season, and if so is it worth it? The other question is, are the benefits of having 4 review forums worth the cost of confusion and the mental load of having to properly keep everything cataloged plus the additional thought required to find what you're looking for? A newcomer may not find such strict classification inviting.

Anyway, we have done with all the moving for now, there should be only few topics left to move - occasionally the search function doesn't find all relevant topics. In short, all we set out to do has been completed, and in addition we also performed a security upgrade, which should have gone completely unnoticed :).

As a side effect of creating the new forums, and moving topics from other forums to forums new and old, we compiled a list of all known worldwide pen brands, as far as we know that is, ordered alphabetically and by country. You may find the entire list here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/281024-pen-brands-worldwide-by-country/

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Well, I apologize for not being very clear. From my subjective impression after seeing the changes and navitagint the site, I know why the Kwzi inks are in that section, a section that is about 95% Kwzi. The question is, is that forum going to be the hot off-brand of the season, and if so is it worth it? The other question is, are the benefits of having 4 review forums worth the cost of confusion and the mental load of having to properly keep everything cataloged plus the additional thought required to find what you're looking for? A newcomer may not find such strict classification inviting.

While the sectionion is mostly KWZI, we do hope that will be changing in the future. While we do have ink testers are are fairly new, generally the new comers are looking at the other sections. We can certainly re-evaluate things in the future, but for now, come join us and check it out.

Thanks to Wim and our lovely Mods for such a beautiful forum!

Your hard work is deeply appreciated!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Something I don't understand is why on the home page the writing instruments forums have been moved below the market place. It just seems a little strange to have first stop and brand related forums towards the bottom of the page when they are the most popular forums and usually what a visitor would be looking for?

Thanks to Wim and our lovely Mods for such a beautiful forum!

Your hard work is deeply appreciated!

Thank you kindly, Anne-Sophie!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Something I don't understand is why on the home page the writing instruments forums have been moved below the market place. It just seems a little strange to have first stop and brand related forums towards the bottom of the page when they are the most popular forums and usually what a visitor would be looking for?

:D

The bottom of which page? Ok, you have to scroll a bit, but it isn't too bad :).

Essentially the Market place forums have been in second category position for quite a long time already, just that the community forums and News have been merged now, so that is a little longer. Also, we thought it would be best to have all the pen related forums together, etc.

This is a structure which is more and more common when it comes to forums, and it does make sense, thinking about it :).

People do seem to find us very well lately. If you look at the bottom you'll see we had a new record number of visitors only yesterday (16480), which was up by 5000 from the day before, 7000 from a few days ago, and double that of the previous record in May. And last year around this time, we generally had relatively low numbers of visitors, actually a little lower than average for the year.

In short, it seems this strategy is working - we do want to spread the (fountain pen) word after all, it is in our mission statement :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I do admit that the scrolling amount does seem excessive to me, but I do understand the logic. From my perspective, it would be easier to navigate if the long description of each section was hidden or shortened until the user clicked on the section title. It would make getting to the lower sections easier. The section titles should be enough to guide the noobs about content. Just my two cents.

All things work out in the end. If it is not working out, it is not the end.