Upcoming Changes To Fpn

wimg

OK, Wim...I'm beginning to find my way around the new board. I like it. Oh, and I hope Sint was kind to you this year (I am married to a woman from Den Haag. I sometimes call her "the little Oma", but then she wacks me on the head.)

<ROFL> Rightfully so, I guess, the wacks that is ;). As to Sinterklaas, we, as in my own family, don't really celebrate that anymore. We lived for too long abroad :).

Good to hear you are beginning to find your way around the forums and the rest :). There is some logic to it, fortunately :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• amberleadavis

• Betweenthelines

Note: split of the Historical Sales questions to a new topic in Community Feedback.

You may find it here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279834-historical-sales/

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

We did add Historical Sales back in, on request, for research purposes, and we also added all Group Buys to the new PIF etc. forum.

It will make not only PIFs and Loaner Programs easy to find, but Group Buys as well.

We still continue moving topics to the various new forums, especially the Brand forums, both Regional and Brands per se, and Calligraphy. Most of the brand forums have been done, as far as we can see, barring some potentially minor brands, with the exception of Other European Brands, which appears to be a lot of work.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Like I always say, Wim......

You 'da Man!!!

:)

Regards,

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks, Mark :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You may be pleased to know that we have implemented, ahead of schedule, the option to send emails from within the system.

Hover a member name anywhere, and the mini-profile which pops up has a "Send email" button, allowing you to create and send an email rather than a PM to that particular member.

Note that this was implemented in the first place to aid in contacting Classifieds sellers.

In order to protect people's identities, the mails do get sent from the standard FPN email address, currently info@fountainpennetwork.com. It is up to the recipient to share his or her email address with the sender.

Furthermore, there is a maximum of email messages a member is allowed to send on a daily basis, varying with the type of account - very few for Bronze members, and a maximum for Diamond account holders.

We'll expand on this at a later stage.

Please do use this feature sparingly and caringly - the email service is installed on our server, and that is the one processing these emails.

Do also note that abuse of this option will be dealt with quite strictly.

Anyway, enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I would rather use the send message feature if I'm not buying from a Classified Ad

You still can, of course.

As mentioned, this was meant for Classifieds in the first place, just that it is better in so far that everyone's identity is still protected, as it is sent from FPN without revealing the email address of the addressee, as was the case in the first implementation we used up to about a year and a half ago.

The main difference is that it is accessible from the profile, rather than just Classifieds, there was no other possibility. However, one needs to be signed in to FPN, which again wasn't the case with the previous implementation, and member groups have strict limits on the number of emails they are allowed to send.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Not sure that there is an added benefit as compared to a PM but that is not sufficient grounds to give a thumbs down.

Edited by Beechwood

Not sure that there is an added benefit as compared to a PM but that is not sufficient grounds to give a thumbs down.

The added benefit, especially with Classifieds, is that it si often easier to reach those who list a Classified by means of an email than it is by means of a PM.

That was at least so in the past.

HTH, warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman

You will see the difference when a member has a full PM box......

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

You will see the difference when a member has a full PM box......

D.ick

True that. And opens the door for email-to-email correspondence which can be a lot easier than logging into FPN every time you want to contact someone.

Just do note that, in contrast to the implementation we had a few years ago, it will only open a pop-up window to send an email, and that that will go through the FPN mail service, so you don't know the email address of th eperson you are sending this too, until such person decides to write back to you.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

As a direct comparison to a full PM box, then sending an email looks like an improvement.

I'm sure that no-one else is as paranoid as I am about not allowing my PM box to get full. :D

Very good point, Chrissy! Thanks for pointing that out!

This definitely has been a point of attention we did receive quite a few questions about full PM-boxes as well.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I do like the e-mail feature. Sometimes, people are more accessible via e-mail as opposed to PM. This is often desirable when buying or selling in Classifieds. Thanks!

Thank you, Craig, and Classifieds really was the main drive behind the idea!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

The last feature promised:

The Trader Feedback System.

This has now been enabled, and what this means is that it is possible to leave feedback for Classifieds. The information is visible in a user's profile, mini-profile when hovering on a member name, and in the complete profile, as there is a Feedback tab now.

In the user pane you'll find that Feedback is indicated in the Market Place forums, and in each Classified there now is a Leave Feedback button, and a little panel indicating what the feedback is. The Feedback description is a link which takes you to the Feedback tab in the profile of a member, and also shows the Leave Feedback button above it, as part of the main Member Profile.

In the mini (hover) profile, there also is a tiny pane indicating the feedback level, and this is clickable - it'll bring you to the Feedback tab in the member's profile as well.

When leaving feedback, please do not forget to select the type of deal you are doing, whether you are a seller or buyer, etc. A Classifieds link is mandatory, that's how this Classifieds add-on works. Best is to copy that from the browser url line, and paste it in the particular field.

If you want to play with this option, please use the two test users we have specifically available here to do so:

test.buyer

and

test.seller

The feedback for these test users will be emptied every so often.

This was an often asked for item to add, and we have finally been able to do so.

Enjoy!

Last but not least: we are still moving topics around, which will likely continue for a while still, so please bear with us if you occasionally run into access problems for specific topics. These problems are entirely caused by the moving of these topics, specifically when we are busy grouping stuff in temporary holding places.

Testing of the database conversion will go ahead, on our test board, not here :), once we are done moving.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

FYI - I experienced some glitches today. First, some of my search results ended on an error page. I was searching for threads on the Aurora Optima. I am not sure if this would be corrected when Google re-catalogs the website as it was every 4th or 5th return that ended on an error page. Second, every 4th or 5th picture in the gallery ended up on a database error page. I am running Mavericks on a Mac in Safari. I deleted my cache, cookies, etc., last week-end and again today after a couple of the error pages.

I just thought that I mention these issues in hopes that it helps.

- David

We still have quite a few topics in our temporary store, which is not accessible except by moderators, so that could explain this happening.

For the time being you could use the standard forum search, or the Advanced search, which will not list topics temporarily not available.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman