Upcoming Changes To Fpn

wimg

Could I make a couple of small suggestions with respect to category naming? (mostly due to my Information Architecture/Librarian/Taxonomist background):

- In the "Regional Focus" section, it make sense to reverse the category names so that the region (Asia/Europe) appears first. This would allow the categories to self-group themselves and allow someone who's skimming the list to see & understand how it's organized.

- In the "Inks" section, why is the word "Ink" included in the category names? Excluding these would make the category names shorter and more readable (e.g., Thoughts, Reviews, Lab, etc.)

- While I think "Pen Accoutrements" is a classy section name, it might be better to rename this section as "Paper and Pen Accessories" so as to be more understandable/accessible to those with English/French as a 2nd language.

- In the "Writing Instruments" section, would it make more sense to make the Nibs/Feeds... as a child of the Repairs Q&A section? For me, adjusting flow, removing/resetting nibs aren't procedures done by the average pen user in their daily routine but would be done as part of a repair/restoration.

If necessary, you can PM me with questions/concerns/feedback. Hope these suggestions help and thanks again for keeping FPN going!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• amberleadavis

• Betweenthelines

Another great improvement, dear Wim :thumbup:

Your work is highly appreciated by all of us fountain pen addicts and I think I speak for everyone here when I thank you and wish you all the best of luck :)

Regards,

uscer

We just opened up another forum in WI, namely: Of Nibs & Tines & Feeds.

Essentially the forum to discuss nibs, ink flow, feeds. the what, how, why, which is best, etc.

We started moving topics on these subjects to this forum, and will continue with doing so. As we made a start, we would not want to keep you all from enjoying its content.

Another new forum is "The Ink Lab - Hard Hat required". We made the rules for ink reviews and such a little stricter so they are more of use for people comparing inks, but we felt the need to be able to discuss new happenings and discoveries as well, hence this forum.

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

We just opened up another forum in WI, namely: Of Nibs & Tines & Feeds.

Essentially the forum to discuss nibs, ink flow, feeds. the what, how, why, which is best, etc.

We started moving topics on these subjects to this forum, and will continue with doing so. As we made a start, we would not want to keep you all from enjoying its content.

Another new forum is "The Ink Lab - Hard Hat required". We made the rules for ink reviews and such a little stricter so they are more of use for people comparing inks, but we felt the need to be able to discuss new happenings and discoveries as well, hence this forum.

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

So, already the CRVs (Co-Razy-Views) or Group Reviews and test inks are in the forum. If I've missed any, please PM me with a link so I can move them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Call it grumbling or a suggestion but:

in your regional forums there is a lot of verbiage before you get to the pens: High tea, whiskey, rugby yada yada yada. None of that helps me know what pens brands are included. Here is why this might matter. I know that Pelikan is German, Parker and Shaeffer are US, (mostly) but as for almost all other brands, I am clueless as to country of origin. So assuming I'll go to the Britain forum for Cross makes as much sense as assuming I will go to the same forum for Kaweko, or Lamy.

I'll have to scroll through all the cute discussion about the region to figure out which pens originated there. In fact you might consider an alphabetical listing under 'other brands' which would link the pen brand to the appropriate regional forum. Faster for the likes of me, and that way I would not have to wade through the long drawn out regional forum info. Just a suggestion.

I know you have to include 'other pens ' in some organized way and by region is probably as good as any, but don't make me wade through the preamble to figure out whcih pens are included. The way you have it is fine for those of us who know our way around the 'world' of pens, but for those who are not alreadty expert, just make it a little more straight forward.

And thanks for your work but please don't think that my comments are grumblings, like you I am trying to help make this the best place it can be, even thigh I am a FP neophyte.

Congrats Team FPN, this is great work.

Once again, how about sub-section on Indian pens ?

I have a lot of inputs ready to post, but now with the changed structure I feel too confused really where to post them. Surely there are many like me who would face this problem.

Now with the re-structuring process initiated, opening up a sub-section on Indian pens is what I am particularly looking forward to.

Kindly consider.

I add my voice to the chorus thanking those doing all the heavy lifting.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

"On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current as it serves". Julius Caesar, Act 4, scene 3.

So, already the CRVs (Co-Razy-Views) or Group Reviews and test inks are in the forum. If I've missed any, please PM me with a link so I can move them.

That sounds great, but I can't seem to find that board anywhere...is it just me? Also, when I click on the Forum link at the top of the page to view the list of boards, there are no boards at all that have to do with ink. Also, I am following a few threads that were in a previous ink board that I am still receiving email notifications on, but they are not showing up in the "Content That I Follow" section in my account. Am I going crazy, or do I need to look in a different place? I am having serious ink withdrawals... :)

Ink forums are all grouped together down the page, under pen regions

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Interesting...here is what I discovered...I was wondering if it had to do with the web browser that I was using (Chrome), so I hopped on to IE. When I got to FPN I did a quick look before I logged in, and surely enough, Ink, inc. was right there between Regional Focus and Pen Accoutrements, however, when I sign into my account, the whole Ink, inc. section disappears (tested this on both Chrome and IE and it happened on both). Has that board changed to require that you have to be a member for a certain period of time or have so many posts before you can access it? Hmmm...

Interesting...here is what I discovered...I was wondering if it had to do with the web browser that I was using (Chrome), so I hopped on to IE. When I got to FPN I did a quick look before I logged in, and surely enough, Ink, inc. was right there between Regional Focus and Pen Accoutrements, however, when I sign into my account, the whole Ink, inc. section disappears (tested this on both Chrome and IE and it happened on both). Has that board changed to require that you have to be a member for a certain period of time or have so many posts before you can access it? Hmmm...

Could you please check if it is back? There was 1 configuration item for Bronze members which was not set correctly, effectively making it impossible to see any of the Ink forums. That's fixed now. It was related to the addition of the new Inks, Inc. category :).

Thank you in advance.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

YES...it is fixed! Oh thank you so much! I am glad it was not just me. :) Now I can get my daily inky fix!

*off to introduce myself*

Denette

We now have installed the new software required, updated skins and configuration, and will proceed with some final testing, before opening up the chat room :).

Testing will likely take a few days, just to make sure...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

The, for now, last forum in Writing Instruments has been opened :).

As requested by many, a forum for all writing instruments which are not fountain or dip pens, so just add your comments, ideas and questions about ballpoints, rollerballs, pencils, and speedballs in the new forum, please.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

And now, long awaited but finally here, another new brand forum: TWSBI!

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

And another update:

We now have a forum, often clamoured for in the past: Lamy.

Now do us proud, please, and really use it ;).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

In addition, Other Brands was moved to the regional forums now - we are still busy splitting this catch-all-else forum into more meaningful sections.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

As all went swimmingly, the chat room, Shoutbox, has been opened for all already, ahead of plan :).

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman