Lamy Persona: Some Questions

stephanos

I bought a Lamy Persona today (it sneaked up on me from the window of a local antique shop). It's the first one I've encountered in person, and it seems to be fairly uncommon. For more information and pictures, see this excellent review by gds from 2008. The version I have looks exactly the same, except that mine doesn't have the little bump at the top of the clip (4th picture in the linked review, compared with 3rd picture in this post). I prefer the cleaner line this renders. The converter says, "Lamy / W.Germany", which I guess dates it to the 1980s.

It looks like the pen I bought was used once or twice, then badly-cleaned (or not at all) and stuck in a drawer for years. I was able to fill the pen with water in the shop and 'write' with water for a bit to check that the feed wasn't completely clogged. It's a beautifully smooth nib. The pen feels very comfortable to hold, and is well-balanced when posted (which it does with a satisfying click). I am now in the process of cleaning it, and look forward to writing with this pen once it's ready.

I have three questions in the meantime.

CONVERTER

I understand that the pen uses an out-of-production threaded converter (either the z25, as the 2008 reviewer, or the earlier z23). It does work, but there are some bits of ink in it that I cannot remove through flushing, and there are traces of ink behind the seal. I would therefore like to disassemble it for a thorough clean, and to apply some silicone grease. But the back doesn't easily unscrew, and I'm reluctant to use force.

My question is therefore, can old Lamy converters be disassembled?

Picture: converter

post-106543-0-94101700-1417293451_thumb.jpg

NUMBERS

I have noticed a set of six digits on the black plastic part of the section that screws into the barrel: a "1" followed by a space, and then "09861". I fantasise that this means I have the 9861st pen produced in the first series, but that is pure conjecture on my part. Do you know what the numbers mean?

Picture: Numbers

post-106543-0-28058200-1417293481_thumb.jpg

MATERIAL

Previous discussions suggest that I have a titanium version of this model. Is anyone able to say what this means - is it solid titanium, or is it another metal with titanium plating (in which case, what is the underlying metal)?

Answers gratefully received!

Pictures: clip + pen posted

post-106543-0-21164300-1417293493_thumb.jpg

post-106543-0-85618300-1417293470_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stephanos

• Bo Bo Olson

• plumista

• Namo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had one for years. I believe the bump was meant to differentiate between the fountain and the roller. I seem to remember that it was titanium plated. I have a modern Lamy converter in mine so i would not bother with the older one.

I can't answer any of the other questions.

A great pen though...

the Danitrio Fellowship

The first version of the FP did not have the bump. Because it rolls they put the bump on. I have a black titanium oxide one...don't see any W.Germany nor Germany on my pen. Where is it on yours?

Sign, hadn't noticed the number until pointed out.

There is an optometrist in my village in Germany, that sells his own and other antique items on consignment in one of his two windows. He does have a room for antiques.

I went in, and asked about fountain pens. He showed me the Persona he wanted €100, which was over my budget.

At home I looked it in the computer...calling the wife to look at the neat pen.

The next day my wife bought it for me...with out even asking me :angry: :) ....said she bargained with him, in she'd bought things from him before.

Mine was a nail 18 K OB....no line variation at all, just a pen for folks that hold their pen canted (crooked); many do having left eye dominance. It stayed in the box until Pendelton Brown made it a CI.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3985.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_3994.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Doug, I'll try to disassemble and clean the old one first (screw-in being much superior), but it is comforting to know I have a backup option if I end up destroying the old one.

Bo Bo, the black version is beautiful. The writing (Lamy/W.Germany) is only on the converter: you can just about make it out on the metal of the converter shown in the first picture I posted. I think I paid a reasonable price for my version - expensive for me, given that I hadn't known it or previously had it on my 'wanted' list, but still well under Eur.100. I justified the purchase as my Christmas present to myself.

Now that I'm cleaning it up, it's emerging that there is rather a lot of gunk in the pen: I soaked it overnight and then flushed with ammonia-solution, and it's much better. Now it's back in the 'bath' for another soak. I'm wary of trying to remove the nib and feed, though.

Some Lamy folks said it's easy enough, but I never had much problems so wouldn't just try to take the nib off for the fun of it. It looks a bit harder to do than a Safari or CPM-1.

It is my understanding that it came out in 1990 and ended in 2000. I was at the factory two years ago and they said they would come out with a 'new' Persona....last year, but don't think they have yet.

Mine says 2 18712.....

The 1 or 2 could perhaps have to do with the coating.

My original converter went missing, the new one in black works. Not the red ended one, which don't.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 months later...

Hi. I just bought one this week (€93 -> 50% discount from the orinal price €186, in case this info can be useful to someone).

Mine is titanium coated (as yours).

I has a 18k nib.

No bump in the clip.

Numbers are: 2 11479.

Nib and feed are easily disassembled by friction (gently and patiently). No tools but your fingers.

Converter is also as easily disassembled as, for example, the Z24. Unscrew first the metal sleeve, and immediately you will see how are arranged the inner parts.

"Titanium" here is a quite weird name that Lamy gives to some kind of coat (over brass) that does not look like titanium at all (the Spirit, for example). Why do they do this?

And now perhaps the best part: I have one brand new original threaded converter exclusively dedicated to this pen. If someone wants it for free (and accepts to pay the corresponding shipping fee), just see my separate thread about this.

plumista

Oh, thank you. I am definitely interested in your offer. Apologies, but I couldn't find the separate thread that you mentioned in your post , so I have sent you a PM.

Dont want to derail the thread, but that grip sections doesn't look too comfy to hold for long periods, what is your experience with it?

Dont want to derail the thread, but that grip sections doesn't look too comfy to hold for long periods, what is your experience with it?

Good question. You'd think it would be awkward to hold for too long. Curiously, it's surprisingly comfortable for up to about 20 minutes at a time, which is the longest uninterrupted session I've had with it. I suspect it would work for longer periods, but I have yet to have the experience myself.

Perhaps it's particular to me - I have medium-to-large hands and I find if comfy to hold near the join between barrel and section, which is quite wide. But I suspect that it's a general feature - the ribbed step-down section means that you can probably find a place to hold that suits your fingers/grip, whatever size hand you have. And the ribs don't seem to get slippery.

One of the most comfortable pen I've ever owned. Wish I didn't sell it, stupid me!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/141408-lamy-persona-black/

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• 1 year later...

I have a Personal Black Titanium Oxide with a 14k Medium nib. It has very light scratches on the end cap at the bottom of the barrel, but is otherwise mint. I work both in the office and out in the field in a profession where everyone else is using Zebras or disposable ballpoints. I use this pen as a daily writer because of it's heft and apparent durability, but I've realized that this pen may be too valuable for a job that can get pretty rough and nasty. I bought it at an estate sale from a man I admired greatly, so I have no intention of selling the pen. Can some of you knowledgeable pen enthusiasts give me an idea of this pens value? Thanks very much in advance.

Think positive. Feel positive. Wish positive things for others.

• 4 weeks later...

I see the Persona's selling for around $200, list price was $350. Pen is rare. I have 2, a Titanium one I bought new in 1992 (no bump) & a Black Titanium (with bump) bought at a pen show for $120 (receipt shows it was bought in 1998). Both have med 18k nibs. Very smooth writers. To me it a very well designed German pen, extremely well made, over-engineered. You can see the Titanium one reviewed in my video,