• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• amberleadavis

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps someone mentioned it before, but Sailor Jentle Oku-Yama has very close doppelgängers in the threefoldness of Diamine's dark red inks - Oxblood, Red Dragon and Syrah. I cannot quite pinpoint which ink is the closest, that changes depending on the pen and paper I'm using, but I'd say that Oxblood is perhaps the least similar out of all three because of its lack of sheen. Oku-Yama is kind of in-between Oxblood and Syrah, so it would make sense to call Red Dragon closest, but even that one still lacks the deep red and violet hues that Oxblood and Syrah, respectively, have too much of. Looking at my swabs on Tomoe River, Syrah actually comes closest in both colour and sheen (and the colour of the sheen), but in writing it's too violet. It would make sense to mix the Diamines to get the perfect colour match for Oku-Yama, and then maybe let it evaporate a bit to get more sheen out of the new mixture.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Doppelgängers: Diamine Communication Breakdown vs KWZ Ink Red #1

Unless you look for the sheen of the Diamine at an angle, the two are indistinguishable.

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1563189959__cross_tr.jpeg

It's the golden sheen that tells them apart.

fpn_1563189979__cross_tr_cl.jpeg

(Midori: The lines are drawn with the two inks alternately.)

fpn_1563189975__swirls.jpeg

fpn_1563189996__swirls_cl.jpeg

Doppelgängers: Diamine Communication Breakdown vs KWZ Ink Red #1

Unless you look for the sheen of the Diamine at an angle, the two are indistinguishable.

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1563189959__cross_tr.jpeg

It's the golden sheen that tells them apart.

fpn_1563189979__cross_tr_cl.jpeg

(Midori: The lines are drawn with the two inks alternately.)

fpn_1563189975__swirls.jpeg

fpn_1563189996__swirls_cl.jpeg

Wow! I've been eyeing both, so you just saved me some €!

Which one would you prefer in terms of flow and lubrication (and other properties) if you could only keep one?

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

Wow! I've been eyeing both, so you just saved me some €!

Which one would you prefer in terms of flow and lubrication (and other properties) if you could only keep one?

Dominique

Definitely the KWZI (I mentioned it in my individual reviews).

Edited by Lgsoltek

I love to look at red inks, but not usually flowing out of my own pens... :D

Your doodle is lovely. It inspires me to pick up whole-page doodling again... so thanks for that, too!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I love to look at red inks, but not usually flowing out of my own pens... :D

Your doodle is lovely. It inspires me to pick up whole-page doodling again... so thanks for that, too!

I find that even if you suck at drawing things (like me), full page doodles always look impressive!

• 4 months later...

post-123774-0-71659400-1574256533_thumb.jpg

This is Monteverde red velvet with a 1.5 mm italic nib. I am thankful that Migo referenced it as a doppelganger for Montblanc red chalk.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Please excuse me in advance for what may be an idiotic question, but what's the best way to put ink on the sample cards? Not the name, but the swatch. I know people don't just pour it out! I see so many lovely sample cards and even have a number of Robert Oster blanks one, but I'm not sure the correct way to use them. :unsure:

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Karma, in my post 455, the only red ink displayed is Monteverde red velvet. I don't own red chalk, unfortunately.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Please excuse me in advance for what may be an idiotic question, but what's the best way to put ink on the sample cards? Not the name, but the swatch. I know people don't just pour it out! I see so many lovely sample cards and even have a number of Robert Oster blanks one, but I'm not sure the correct way to use them. :unsure:

Some method differs but mostly use a cotton swab for the swatches.

• 2 weeks later...

I also doodle a swatch so that I can see what it looks like in my pen. Others do spashes, and the easiest way to do that is from a syringe.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...

The closest I have found to Levenger Pomegranate is our friend Blackstone Red Cashmere

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

Sailor probably have several of the (basically same) red inks. Here's Irori (top) and Kobe #20 Motomachi Rouge (bottom):

fpn_1557672228__irori.jpeg

I agree with you and would also add Taccia Aka red, if only because the Taccia is $12 for a 40ml bottle. It's quite a reasonable substitute to the above. I have tested Aka against Irori, and cannot note a meaningful difference in swab, writing, or in the amount of sheen.

Edited by Sashku

• 3 weeks later...

fpn_1588180817__img_5826.jpg

fpn_1588180833__img_5823.jpg

fpn_1588180859__img_5824.jpg

fpn_1588180877__img_5825.jpg

fpn_1588180892__img_5827.jpg

fpn_1588180905__img_5828.jpg

For searchability: Diamine Monboddo's Hat, Lamy Dark Lilac.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 11 months later...

In the course of doing my review of Standardgraph Elder Blue, I realised it was very, very similar to the Waterman Purple I also had. 

The pens are a little different – the J Herbin is a touch finer, and doesn't have the "roundedness" feeling of the Vector. 

To my eyes, the Waterman is a half-shade darker and a teensy bit less red, but honestly I struggle to tell the difference in real life and on my scanner, even this extremely subtle difference isn't apparent.

What is very clear is how much difference the paper makes to dry-time smear tests. Both these inks dry very well on absorbent paper like a copier paper. But I pulled out my decades-old box of Basildon Bond letter-writing paper and the dry times were much longer and the spread much less (I used the back of the paper so you didn't have to look at the overbearing border and crown – there's a reason it's taken me decades to use what was a Christmas gift from a relative, I think.

ElderBlue-doppel1.jpeg.3ea699c075d888a39ba663cef4355b09.jpeg

ElderBlue-doppel2.jpeg.f80c78d0d838714dd952295aa4c89bff.jpeg