Battle Of The Inks - Doppelgänger Edition

Cyber6

fpn_1483985085__jpeg_image-0ba043069347-

Hmm... My eyes tell me Yamabukiiro is closer to Heure dorée, but my camera thinks Yamabukiiro is greener than the others.

On my screen Yamabukiiro is a bit yellower than the other two. Heure dorée is a bit darker and browner than the other two. Differences are subtle, but they're there.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• amberleadavis

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did Yamabukiiro and Green Olive already... :lol:

I had no idea about Heure Doree... THANKS!!!! :D

To my eyes.. (and without having Heure Doree)... Yamabukiiro and Green Olive are real doppelgangers.. ;)

C.

Hmm... My eyes tell me Yamabukiiro is closer to Heure dorée, but my camera thinks Yamabukiiro is greener than the others.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Oh, that Heure Dorée makes my heart go pitter-patter! :wub:

Akkerman Kaardinal Paars and Diamine Tyrian Purple : not just doppelgängers, but, I'm convinced, one and the same ink:

attachicon.gifIMG_1725.JPG

Thanks Gylyf... no surprises there... I am pretty convinced Akkerman is re-bottled Diamine inks.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks Gylyf... no surprises there... I am pretty convinced Akkerman is re-bottled Diamine inks.

C.

Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue is said to be re-bottled Diamine Majestic Blue.

Having both, and having looked a both closely, I can say that ASB is similar to, but not the same as DMB.

ASB is a more true blue than DMB, possibly because of the addition of a tiny bit of red dye, or the use of a different blue dye. DMB is a bit more towards teal.

Now, as to the question of Diamine making inks for Akkerman, that I have no evidence for, and can't (and won't) comment either way.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I haven't found the exact match for Shocking Blue and the Iron Gall #10. But a bunch of the rest... have been tested and reviewed by Nick and Vis and now Gylyf. They are some of my favorites ink reviewers, and even if I cannot say they are 100% Diamine to a molecular level... I will say that chromatography, behavior and color match are too close and I feel comfortable doing a logical leap and state that I am pretty convinced they are the same.

C.

Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue is said to be re-bottled Diamine Majestic Blue.

Having both, and having looked a both closely, I can say that ASB is similar to, but not the same as DMB.

ASB is a more true blue than DMB, possibly because of the addition of a tiny bit of red dye, or the use of a different blue dye. DMB is a bit more towards teal.

Now, as to the question of Diamine making inks for Akkerman, that I have no evidence for, and can't (and won't) comment either way.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

I haven't found the exact match for Shocking Blue and the Iron Gall #10.

And yet people will continue to assert that these colors match Diamine inks (inks that they don't name). If you show them an image clearly showing the difference they will respond with "well, it's close enough and doesn't matter".

Diamine very well might be making these inks for Akkerman. And several of the colors might be exactly the same as colors that Diamine sells. They have a lot of experience making ink so this seems like a good thing to me. Diamine has done this for Chesterfield, for Conway Stewart, and likely others.

I happen to like the Akkerman bottle which isn't sold by Diamine or anyone else currently, and there are several colors that are unique to Akkerman's selection so I will continue to buy them.

I haven't found the exact match for Shocking Blue and the Iron Gall #10. But a bunch of the rest... have been tested and reviewed by Nick and Vis and now Gylyf. They are some of my favorites ink reviewers, and even if I cannot say they are 100% Diamine to a molecular level... I will say that chromatography, behavior and color match are too close and I feel comfortable doing a logical leap and state that I am pretty convinced they are the same.

C.

Don't forget that if you dilute your ASB with 50% water, you get a dead ringer for Parker Penman Sapphire (no, I haven't done the chromatography yet, but hue, shading and sheening all match).

Did Diamine make PPS for Parker?

Will Batman get out of the ropes before the [large, heavy thing overhead] drops on him?

Does Daylight Savings fade the curtains?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Don't forget that if you dilute your ASB with 50% water, you get a dead ringer for Parker Penman Sapphire (no, I haven't done the chromatography yet, but hue, shading and sheening all match).

Did Diamine make PPS for Parker?

Will Batman get out of the ropes before the [large, heavy thing overhead] drops on him?

Does Daylight Savings fade the curtains?

Exactly. I wonder if there will ever come a day when people are able to talk about Akkerman inks without someone chiming in that they are really, truly, actually made by Diamine (or some other company) —as if there were some grand conspiracy to defraud the ink-buying public.

I have a lot of Diamine inks, and I have a number of Akkerman inks. I don't care if they are made by the same factory in some secret underground location, or if they are are simply similar looking inks due to similar ingredients bought by companies in Europe that buy dyes from the same sources.

If you like the new Akkerman colors, enjoy them. Don't be discouraged by people who swear they know with "99.99% certainty" that they are really repackaged inks from another company.

Edited by HalloweenHJB

Exactly. I wonder if there will ever come a day when people are able to talk about Akkerman inks without someone chiming in that they are really, truly, actually made by Diamine (or some other company) —as if there were some grand conspiracy to defraud the ink-buying public.

I have a lot of Diamine inks, and I have a number of Akkerman inks. I don't care if they are made by the same factory in some secret underground location, or if they are are simply similar looking inks due to similar ingredients bought by companies in Europe that buy dyes from the same sources.

If you like the new Akkerman colors, enjoy them. Don't be discouraged by people who swear they know with "99.99% certainty" that they are really repackaged inks from another company.

I have no idea whether or not you had my post in mind when writing this (I ask only because that's the percentage I used in my Instagram post of the pic I posted above, so perhaps you did have me in mind), but, surely, out of all the threads on FPN, a doppelgänger thread is an appropriate place to speculate as to whether or not two inks are identical? To be clear, I don't particularly care if some Akkerman inks are repackaged Diamine, as the bottle is nice enough that the difference in price in this case is worth it to me. At the same time, I also understand those who might feel a little irritated about being sold an ink at considerable expense under the pretense that it's a limited edition if it is in fact merely rebottled Diamine (I'm talking specifically about the Dutch Masters line here). I also think Akkerman bring some of this speculation on themselves by maintaining secrecy concerning who manufactures their ink. Again, I think some grumble at the possibility that they might be paying $28 for 60ml of an ink they could be buying in 80ml bottles for much less. Given that I own no other Akkerman inks than the one I posted about above, I have no dog in this fight whatsoever, but I do find it fun to speculate. At any rate, those who might have worried about running out of the LE Kardinaal Paars can rest easy knowing there's a perfectly adequate replacement out there...

I have no idea were the negative connotation about Akkerman using Diamine inks comes from. (??!!)

I am with Gylyf in this... I personally don't care. I have a bunch of Akkerman bottles just because of the bottles. I will buy a couple of the Masters series .. just because of the bottles. But, I will be very careful to not buy colors that I already have in Diamine bottles. That's mainly it, I have no intention on buying the same color in a different bottle.

Lets play nice.. this thread is to show doppelgangers, lets just do that.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

To bring this thread back to its topic, look at Solferino and DA Magenta Red without particles

Could you please include Yama Budo in the comparison? If it is possible, of course.

Murky greens!

attachicon.gifImage.jpg

They're growing on me. What a nice picture.

I don't have YB with me...

No problem!

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I have no idea whether or not you had my post in mind when writing this (I ask only because that's the percentage I used in my Instagram post of the pic I posted above, so perhaps you did have me in mind), but, surely, out of all the threads on FPN, a doppelgänger thread is an appropriate place to speculate as to whether or not two inks are identical? To be clear, I don't particularly care if some Akkerman inks are repackaged Diamine, as the bottle is nice enough that the difference in price in this case is worth it to me. At the same time, I also understand those who might feel a little irritated about being sold an ink at considerable expense under the pretense that it's a limited edition if it is in fact merely rebottled Diamine (I'm talking specifically about the Dutch Masters line here). I also think Akkerman bring some of this speculation on themselves by maintaining secrecy concerning who manufactures their ink. Again, I think some grumble at the possibility that they might be paying $28 for 60ml of an ink they could be buying in 80ml bottles for much less. Given that I own no other Akkerman inks than the one I posted about above, I have no dog in this fight whatsoever, but I do find it fun to speculate. At any rate, those who might have worried about running out of the LE Kardinaal Paars can rest easy knowing there's a perfectly adequate replacement out there...

I have no idea were the negative connotation about Akkerman using Diamine inks comes from. (??!!)

Lets play nice.. this thread is to show doppelgangers, lets just do that.

I apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone. That was not my intention. In my clumsy way, I was reacting to what I sensed was a very negative, dismissive attitude about Akkerman inks and the repetition of the rumor —as if it were a fact— that they are merely another company's ink in a nice bottle, and that the Dutch company is trying to trick people. If I misunderstood that attitude, then I am sorry.

My main point was that if people liked the colors and the inks —and not just the bottles— enough to pay the Akkerman price, then they shouldn't feel foolish and get what they like. But perhaps my tone was too harsh. Sorry.

Could you please include Yama Budo in the comparison? If it is possible, of course.

I don't have the King Philip ink, but I do have Yama-budo, Solferino, and a few other inks in that color range. I'll work on a comparison later today...

I don't have the King Philip ink, but I do have Yama-budo, Solferino, and a few other inks in that color range. I'll work on a comparison later today...

Thanks! I think that King Philip could be a fairly close match to YB. I miss your old avatar... Now I need some time to figure out who's who :blush:

Akkerman's bottles are wonderful. Too bad they aren't as widely available as Diamine. It makes them even more expensive.