Jinhao X450 Vs X750

Tom Traubert

I agree with the previous post - the 159 is a pretty big pen, probably the 'girthiest' pen I own, but I love the look and feel. Mine had a Goulet 1.1mm stub - which works well for me!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgt

• Helen350

• Tom Traubert

• IndigoBOB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Due to my interests in China, I have been buying the inexpensive Jinhao pens and find exceptional quality for the price. Better than some far more expensive pens.

IMHO, most of expensive pens are overrated while Chinese cheap pens are underrated dramatically.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

The x750 is a "war club" of a pen. It is tough. The x450 does not post as well, and is a bit smaller.

I think my x450's (I have several.) have better feeds. They write better than the x750. My x450's seem not to be particular about the ink used. I think it might be the best value out there. I can coax some flex from an x450 nib, but extensive use might "spring" the nib.

Good luck.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The x450 does not post as well, and is a bit smaller.

Offering an objective comparison, my cheap Chinese micrometer says:

Length (capped):

• 140.85mm (X450)
  • 141.22mm (X750)

Length (uncapped):

• 123mm (X450)
  • 125.3mm (X750)

Body diameter (thickest):

• 13.54mm (X450)
  • 13.66mm (X750)

I haven't tried swapping the feeds, and don't want to go through the mess right now. The X450 I grabbed has a "6" stamped under the tip of the feed. The X750 has a "7" stamped in the same place.

Subjectively speaking, I love my X450's more. I do like the textured grippy section on the X450 compared to the smooth section on the X750.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

• 1 year later...

I own both (and also the 159) and vastly prefer the X450 over either. The above posts already covered most differences, but here is what matters to me:

• ​My X750 doesn't feel like it caps securely. I can easily spin the X750 snap cap around, which feel like sloppy workmanship. Similarly, the cap ring on the 159 easily rotates, again feeling like poor workmanship. Everything feels much more solidly built on my X450.
  • I prefer the gold trim and two-tone nib of the X450 over the chrome colored trim and nib of the other pens. I also plan on doing the G nib mod with the more corrosion-resistant titanium G nib, which will better match the gold color.
  • The X450 grip section feels best to me. I can scrape flecks off the X750 section with a finger nail, but my X450 section is once again solid, and the indents match my grip perfectly. The 159's grip is hard plastic.
  • The 159 feels way too big and bulky to hold. Both X450 and X750 feel great to me unposted. Note that none of them post particularly well, but if you're the type to post despite the heavy caps, I'd say the X750 is a bit more secure than the X450, and the 159 doesn't post.

That said, some of the X750 exclusive colors are excellent. For example, if you have a friend who's into space, get the X750 in the "Shimmering Sands" color, put Nemosine Reentry nib on it, and fill it with Diamine Night Sky ink for an awesome gift.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't tried the X450 because I was concerned the grip was similar to the Lamy Safari grip, which I couldn't stand.

Does anyone find this comparison true or are the grips different?

The 450 grip is much less sharp than the Lamy. Fairly round. Look for this on eBay. 99 cents is low risk

"Men's Women's Students Fine Brush Ink Writing Collectable Vintage Fountain Pen"

Edited by Ted A
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

I got the x450 today and I do really like it!

With the combination of the gripped section and the weight it rests itself very comfortably in the hand. Got a goulet nib on the way to spruce it up.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Do the nibs on either the 450 or 750 bear a mark as to the size of the nib, like F, M, B?

I do not seem to locate it (on photos, I do not have one yet).

Edited by drgt

Hi

Do the nibs on either the 450 or 750 bear a mark as to the size of the nib, like F, M, B?

I do not seem to locate it (on photos, I do not have one yet).

No size markings, just Jinhao, 18KGP and a representation of a chariot (or possibly horse and carriage) although I am not sure why.

No size markings, just Jinhao, 18KGP and a representation of a chariot (or possibly horse and carriage) although I am not sure why.

So how can you tell you get what you ordered?

I already mailed an ebay seller that in the item title he was advertising Broad and further down in the item description it was noted Medium.

He wrote back that it was a Medium and changed the title.

Firstly, a broad nib is very unusual for a chinese pen, there are some 159s in Broad but i havent seen anything else.

A fine will write a 0.3mm line, medium 0.5mm, broad 0.7. all approximate due to variations in paper and ink.

Personally, i havent had a problem with sellers sending a pen that wasnt what I ordered.

So how can you tell you get what you ordered?

I already mailed an ebay seller that in the item title he was advertising Broad and further down in the item description it was noted Medium.

He wrote back that it was a Medium and changed the title.

I bought a Jinhao 450 with what was advertised as a broad nib (even said .7), and it was just the standard medium. As far as I can tell, Jinhao does not actually make a broad nib. Perhaps people who are used to Chinese fine nibs everywhere think it's broad but it's not. I wanted the pen for the color anyway, so I'm not upset, but I don't beleive any seller who says they have a Jinhao broad nib on the 450, 750 and 159. Edited by DasKaltblut

AFAIK Jinhao had only 2 nib options on X450, X750, & 159 alike and thise are the standard M and the calligraphy nib and I do not think anyone would mistaken one to be the other considering the fact that the calligraphy nib having its characteristic curve upward tip

IMHO, most of expensive pens are overrated while Chinese cheap pens are underrated dramatically.

Well Said,I have been saying that for donkeys years. Having edited Jinhao and Baoer same

company for years I had the pleasure of naming many of these fabulous pens which for the price would be the BEST pens to start a collection with because of their affordability, and because so many people do buy them and experience small problems which they then bring to the FPN to solve

becomes a great exercise in finding out how to fix and depending on them being able to fix the

problem and becoming a better collector,Should you wish to enhance your collection with a

special Jinhao buy one of these which I had the pleasure of naming,its called either The Abalone or The Mother of Pearl pen jinhao always used both of those names when selling the pen,you wont regret it.Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill

750 - 1.1 stub JOWO

750 - 0.6 stub Nemosine

450 - M. Until. I introduce it to Mr 2000 grit and some micro mesh.

Add lightness and simplicate.