Jinhao X450 Vs X750

Tom Traubert

So, I just picked up an X450 for the princely sum of £1.96 on eBay. Even if it's rubbish, the converters that come with them are reasonable for the price!

Anyway, I already have an X750, which I love - it's currently my Baystate Blue pen, because it's so easy to disassemble and clean. Is the X450 anything other than a GT version of the same?

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgt

• Helen350

• Tom Traubert

• IndigoBOB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The grip section is a little different - it has a kind of "tripod grip", 3 slight indentations that are slightly textured. You can ignore them and hold the pen however you please - I find it a little more comfortable than the x750 but really, they're both pretty decent pens!

When I had both. I prefered the X750 over the X450.

The Changes form the X450 to the X750:

- The grip is smooth and rounded, not ribbed in 3 parts

- The Cap is much easier to remove without risking smacking some child in the face.

- The cap posts and clicks much easier onto the X750, with the X450 posting is not always successful

- Body on the X750 is a little 'straighter' rounded off at the ends, X450 had a gradual curve towards the end.

- The weight is about the same

For me the Posting and Grip were the biggest factors as to why I prefered the X750.

Also because the X450 comes with a 2-tone nib, it also appears they were fitted to expect a slightly thicker nib. So trying to put the monotone nib from the X750 into the X450 sometimes yields a slightly looser fit (But sticking a Goulet nib into either works just fine).

Picture of my first X750 (I ended up getting every color before giving most of them away).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/x750_ef.jpg

And a closer picture of the X450 I had with the Goulet nib installed (where you can see the difference int he grip).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/x450_stub.jpg

Can sort of see them side by side in this older pic.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/intro/chinese_colection.jpg

Also the X750 only comes in these colors (I'm missing the "matte black" apparently), where as the X450 seems to have quite a few other color mixes.

Edited by KBeezie

Thanks for the pics, Karl! I marginally preferred the x450, as mentioned above - I found the ribbing gave me a better grip, but it wasn't like a Safari where the grip points constrain you to hold the pen only one way. I also found the nibs a little more consistently smooth - though, like you, I swapped most of them out for Goulet nibs (I bought about 6!).

I will say, though, that of the 7 or 8 pens I bought that belong to this 'family', the only one that has had problems with an inner cap splitting was an x450 - so yes, you may be right about posting being a greater problem.

I think some of this comes down to personal preference: I prefer the look of the x750, but the feel of the x450 grip section, but others may have the opposite experience. Either way, they're good knock-about pens - and for the price, you won't shed too many tears if they bust or get lost (unless you lose a more expensive nib in the process!).

Thanks for the pics, Karl! I marginally preferred the x450, as mentioned above - I found the ribbing gave me a better grip, but it wasn't like a Safari where the grip points constrain you to hold the pen only one way. I also found the nibs a little more consistently smooth - though, like you, I swapped most of them out for Goulet nibs (I bought about 6!).

I will say, though, that of the 7 or 8 pens I bought that belong to this 'family', the only one that has had problems with an inner cap splitting was an x450 - so yes, you may be right about posting being a greater problem.

I think some of this comes down to personal preference: I prefer the look of the x750, but the feel of the x450 grip section, but others may have the opposite experience. Either way, they're good knock-about pens - and for the price, you won't shed too many tears if they bust or get lost (unless you lose a more expensive nib in the process!).

Oddly of most of the pens I've had that can be 'knocked around', The Jinhaos for whatever reason seem to hold onto their finish much longer than some of the more expensive western brands.

Due to my interests in China, I have been buying the inexpensive Jinhao pens and find exceptional quality for the price. Better than some far more expensive pens.

Due to my interests in China, I have been buying the inexpensive Jinhao pens and find exceptional quality for the price. Better than some far more expensive pens.

Yeah - my X750 compares favourably up to around the £40 level, I reckon.

Ta for all your input. I'm sure it'll be a good pen, and if it's not, who cares?

Love my stainless steel x750. Have the Goulet 1.1 stub installed. It is inked now with Chesterfield Xircon, and does a beautiful job. Wrote with my x750 the other nite for a couple of hours before hands got tired. Do like the grip on the x450, but find myself drawn to the 750. My x750 is several years old, and does not have any scratches or nicks on either the barrel or the cap. Holding up very well for the price.

Snapshot_20141122_8.JPG

Love my stainless steel x750. Have the Goulet 1.1 stub installed. It is inked now with Chesterfield Xircon, and does a beautiful job. Wrote with my x750 the other nite for a couple of hours before hands got tired. Do like the grip on the x450, but find myself drawn to the 750. My x750 is several years old, and does not have any scratches or nicks on either the barrel or the cap. Holding up very well for the price.

I really like my 750s and the 450 as well. I have a Goulet 1.1 stub ordered that I intend to install in a nice matte black 750 that I just got. Any writing samples you'd like to share?

The X750 is noticeably ligher than the X450.

X750 35g capped, 22g uncapped

X450 42g capped, 27g uncapped.

Both have the same feed (6mm, although some old-stock 450s have a larger 6.5 mm feed) and can take the same nibs. However the X450 comes with a gold-trimmed nib and the X750 comes with a chrome-plated nib. The nibs are identical underneath the plating, although the stamped design can vary.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I really like my 750s and the 450 as well. I have a Goulet 1.1 stub ordered that I intend to install in a nice matte black 750 that I just got. Any writing samples you'd like to share?

Just finished my lesson for tomorrow. Here is a small snap of my writing sample using the x750 with the 1.1 Goulet stub. My handwriting is not the best, so I hope this helps LOL

Snapshot_20141122_12.JPG

Just finished my lesson for tomorrow. Here is a small snap of my writing sample using the x750 with the 1.1 Goulet stub. My handwriting is not the best, so I hope this helps LOL

Very nice. Thanks for the photo. I like your writing and the stroke size looks like something I'll enjoy.

One of my favourite things about the X750 is that it's a doddle to completely disassemble/reassemble - mine's currently soaking in a state of Baystate Blue recovery. Is the X450 similar?

One of my favourite things about the X750 is that it's a doddle to completely disassemble/reassemble - mine's currently soaking in a state of Baystate Blue recovery. Is the X450 similar?

Yes.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Yes.

Awesome, ta. With the fact that it's heavier (my favourite pen is my Cross Apogee, which would prove useful during a zombie apocalypse), and given my new-found appreciation of gold trim, I'm really excited for my sub-£2 pen!

I have two each two of the x450 and two of the x750 . the cigar x450 is especially nice looking and also have the stainless steel one pictured above from Helen . Hi Helen !!!I have the cigar ivory one that is a x450 . They are awesome pens and perform very well . I have been so happy with the jinhao x450 s and x750s . They are also priced right .

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

I have two each two of the x450 and two of the x750 . the cigar x450 is especially nice looking and also have the stainless steel one pictured above from Helen . Hi Helen !!!I have the cigar ivory one that is a x450 . They are awesome pens and perform very well . I have been so happy with the jinhao x450 s and x750s . They are also priced right .

Hi Cathy! I agree with you, these are some nice pens for the price. Then, when you add a Goulet stub it makes this a smooth writing experience. I've got another x750 on the way, with my new Goulet 1.1 awaiting its arrival. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just ordered a x450 from fleabay, it won't be here till after Christmas - it's on a slow boat from China! Does anyone know of a fine stub nib which will fit? I find most stubs to be too broad and too thick. I'd like something thinner and narrower, if that makes sense.

I've just ordered a x450 from fleabay, it won't be here till after Christmas - it's on a slow boat from China! Does anyone know of a fine stub nib which will fit? I find most stubs to be too broad and too thick. I'd like something thinner and narrower, if that makes sense.

You are referring to a #6 fine stub--I have to admit I am not familiar with that type of stub. You might want to contact www.Gouletpens.com (Matthew) or www.nibs.com. You might want to look for a fine cursive italic nib vs. a stub. You will need a #6 nib for your X450.