"molten Sky": The Oliver F27 (Blue-Black Acrylic Variant) Review.

cjpandya

Hello dear FPNers!,

Today I received my much awaited Oliver F27 Fountain Pen in the post from our trustworthy Mr. Subramaniam of ASApens.in. I had requested the Blue acrylic variant of the pen because i love the colour. It was not listed on the site but dear Mr. subramaniam arranged it for me and shipped it. Now, although our fellow FPN member, Mr Mohit has excellently reviewed the pen; I am reviewing it because mine is a different colour and I just felt like sharing.Okay, so when i opened the package, i just stared at the pen in awe...for a while! And here's why...

The acrylic on this pen is Just so "fluid" and with all that shimmer, i just felt like i am holding a frozen part of the sky in my hand! Hence the title. :rolleyes: :puddle: And yes that's geeky :eureka:

CONSTRUCTION is bold and sturdy but on the lighter side which makes writing a pleasure for long durations. And trust me, you would want to keep on writing with this pen! :D

15835148895_fb7fb43b25_z.jpg

Look at all that acrylic (However, the pictures don't do justice to the beauty of the pen as usual.)

15215721273_0b2e02fb7a_z.jpg

The Cap is solid and clicks satisfactorily and securely in place.The Clip has just the right amount of tension to fit properly in a pocket.

The finial.

15649710138_d96e317d9c_z.jpg

15215190724_34de9785d3_z.jpg

15215195494_3eb0faab5e_z.jpg

The Section has just enough girth for me to hold comfortably. P.S. The black line on the cap in this image is an editing mistake and is not present on the pen itself.

15835168125_14150a9bcc_z.jpg

The NIB is just.... :drool: I like broader nibs and the Schmidt nib unit on this pen is just perfect! It is so smooth and wet!

That's Chelpark turquoise on the nib bdw in case you were wondering

15649745008_4079d3ed30_z.jpg

The pen comes with an option to add a Schmidt converter with your purchase on ASApens.in but i did not buy it because it was a little steep for me. And a standard international converter fitted just well in my pen.

15835154225_b97cb0e6a2_z.jpg

The writing sample. (My instagram edit.)

15833316751_91f0dd6330_z.jpg

Conclusion. I give it a 10/10! Yes, it is that good for the price! The acrylic is surreal, the writing; Superb. It is well balanced in hand, well constructed, the filling system is well, standard but also convenient. I cannot ask for more of the pen. If you are considering buying it, the only deal breaker for some might me the nib width as it is only available in Medium size. But other than that, its a steal!

As per Mr. subramaniam, the pen company is going to cease producing the pen and it will not be restocked again. So grab one if you want to!

Edited by cjpandya

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjpandya

• mrmohitmishra

• a_m

• mhguda

Yes they are beautiful pens, and you got a blue one like one of mine, it's really a beautiful blue...

What I like especially about this pen is how the section is of the same material as the rest of the pen.

I was one of those who wanted a Fine nib, and I managed (after considerable effort) to exchange the Schmidt nib for a Bulow with a finer tip.

The other F27 is a purple. I'm very happy with them. And I got them early.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Nice review. Its a beautiful pen.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

I have one of these pens but in a different color and it looks great. I'm also pleased with how it writes. However, I've discovered that it tends to dry out way faster than average. On a hunch, I recently blew into the cap to check the seal and I could feel air coming out the other end, from where the cap or the finial is seated. Have you run into that problem? If I could solve the air-leak issue, I'd use this pen more regularly.

Nice looking pen, nicer ink. :) Good selection of the background :D

The more I think about saving up for a nice vintage, the more you guys post reviews of pens like these. :angry: :wallbash:

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Yes they are beautiful pens, and you got a blue one like one of mine, it's really a beautiful blue...

What I like especially about this pen is how the section is of the same material as the rest of the pen.

I was one of those who wanted a Fine nib, and I managed (after considerable effort) to exchange the Schmidt nib for a Bulow with a finer tip.

The other F27 is a purple. I'm very happy with them. And I got them early.

Indeed the blue is beautiful. In fact i had ordered the purple variant at first from the site because the blue one was not listed, but then i took my chances and requested Mr. Subramaniam if he could get me the blue variant. And what made it all the more exciting was that i did not know which colour was i going to get until i opened the package! :D

And it is great to know that you were able to swap the nibs to your preference. How exactly did you do it? The nib and feed unit on the F27 is friction fit or screw in type?

I have one of these pens but in a different color and it looks great. I'm also pleased with how it writes. However, I've discovered that it tends to dry out way faster than average. On a hunch, I recently blew into the cap to check the seal and I could feel air coming out the other end, from where the cap or the finial is seated. Have you run into that problem? If I could solve the air-leak issue, I'd use this pen more regularly.

I just received the pen yesterday. And indeed i saw a hole in the cap underneath the clip and i checked out in the same way you did and noticed the air coming out of the other end. I thought it would lead to drying but did not mention it in the review because i was not sure. Now that you have clarified it i think i will update the post in some time. Thanks! And as for the air leak issue, i think storing the pen in one of those zip-lock pen pouches would help, like the ones you receive from ASApens upon ordering.

Nice looking pen, nicer ink. :) Good selection of the background :D

The more I think about saving up for a nice vintage, the more you guys post reviews of pens like these. :angry: :wallbash:

Hahaha! I know how it feels to be bumped into such distractions when it comes to fountain pens! I rarely succeed in spending the money where i planned to while buying FPs! :D But thanks for your appreciation. And it is indeed a very good pen. And as for buying vintages, these pens themselves are the last ones available because the Oliver company would not be producing more of the F27s anymore.

Edited by cjpandya

The nib and feed unit on the F27 is friction fit or screw in type?

Discussed here

Its actually threaded nib unit - but Oliver has glued it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/261056-informal-review-oliver-superb-f/

I put my savings to test

Discussed here

Its actually threaded nib unit - but Oliver has glued it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/261056-informal-review-oliver-superb-f/

I stand enlightened. Thanks a lot for sharing sir, i had heard it was threaded, so yesterday i tried twisting it. But after experiencing an unnatural resistance unlike threaded nib units, I left it alone. Now i feel thankful i did not proceed to an unmanageable damage.

Edited by cjpandya

15220819324_599fc1e7ee_z.jpgC360_2014-11-21-12-17-19-416 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

This is an addition update to the review.

I was causally inspecting the pen and noticed this hole beneath the clip. And as i mentioned earlier i got doubtful about the cap's sealing ability. So i blew into the cap to check what happned and as you mentioned the air came out from the top through the side of the finial. This may lead to drying. Also, There is a white plastic inner cap inside which covers up the hole completely. I feel it renders it totally useless in any way i guess.

Edited by cjpandya

On getting the nib out: I discovered, as others did, that this supposedly screw-in nib unit was glued in place in the Oliver. But the nib and feed themselves, inside the housing, are friction fit - but it is indeed a very tight fit. I left it soaking for days, refreshing the soaking liquid (water plus a little dishwashing soap) occasionally, with warm (not hot!) water. And I would try to move the nib and feed straight forward, using a rubber gripping help (part of an inner tyre). Eventually my doggedness paid off and the nib came out. Once it's been out once, it is relatively easy, and you can do it again.

On sealing the air hole: With this pen I have not bothered, but on some of my other pens, I have done the following, with success: cover the air hole, preferably from the inside but if that is impossible from the outside, with clear nail polish and let dry. Several coats are called for. Works like a dream! and way better than sealing the pen in a baggie after use.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

On sealing the air hole: With this pen I have not bothered, but on some of my other pens

While that hole one can explain for an ED pen - but don't understand why thats done by Indian pen makers even on c/c pens. I have not seen c/c Sheaffers, Pilots, Pelikan and Chinese pens having that hole

Even the c/c pens made by ASA have that hole.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

The first review that has made me order a pen on impulse :wub:

I just love the way writing width of the Schmidt nib. Ordered the brown marbled one.

Thanks for the review.

On getting the nib out: I discovered, as others did, that this supposedly screw-in nib unit was glued in place in the Oliver. But the nib and feed themselves, inside the housing, are friction fit - but it is indeed a very tight fit. I left it soaking for days, refreshing the soaking liquid (water plus a little dishwashing soap) occasionally, with warm (not hot!) water. And I would try to move the nib and feed straight forward, using a rubber gripping help (part of an inner tyre). Eventually my doggedness paid off and the nib came out. Once it's been out once, it is relatively easy, and you can do it again.

On sealing the air hole: With this pen I have not bothered, but on some of my other pens, I have done the following, with success: cover the air hole, preferably from the inside but if that is impossible from the outside, with clear nail polish and let dry. Several coats are called for. Works like a dream! and way better than sealing the pen in a baggie after use.

Thanks a lot for the detailed advice! I Appreciate it! :) My concern is, will the Nail polish harm the acrylic material in any way? And what if the plastic housing of the nib and feed got cracked?

Edited by cjpandya

While that hole one can explain for an ED pen - but don't understand why thats done by Indian pen makers even on c/c pens. I have not seen c/c Sheaffers, Pilots, Pelikan and Chinese pens having that hole

Yes Sir ji, I agree with you. Its relatively quite a big hole, and on top of that there is a white plastic inner cap inside which covers up the hole completely. I feel it renders it totally useless. What i found was that the air leaked from the sides of the finial.

The first review that has made me order a pen on impulse :wub:

I just love the way writing width of the Schmidt nib. Ordered the brown marbled one.

Thanks for the review.

Thank you very much! Your kind words means a lot to me! And let me tell you; You will not be disappointed with your purchase. Happy writing my friend! :thumbup:

They just can't get over the habit. :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Molten Sky, This pen makes a poet out of a man. You did a great job by sharing such beautiful photographs of this pen. Wonderful review. Loved the expression Molten Sky...

Remember I said that I don't like medium nibs. Well it turned out that the pen grows on you. I wrote with Chelpark Ruby Red and Found that the pen wrote like a dream. I am looooovvvvviiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg it.... :D :D