• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miatagrrl

• KBeezie

• tinta

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a dreadful experience with a Sailor Music Nib, but I did find a great vintage Duocraft with a powerful music nib. Loaded up with J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite ink, it's stunning.

fpn_1410984387__duocraft-imprint.jpg

Read and watched some positive review about Sailor Music nib. Thought Music nib would probably work similar to 1.1mm Italic which I love. Purchased one and found out they are quite different. Sailor Music has a very small sweet spot. I have to write with specific angel or wont get any thin line. Tried many times still hard to get it. Also, on some paper it is just impossible to get any thin line.

Am I missing something? Can someone either show me the right way or confirm my experience is the way it is for Sailor Music.

Thanks.

The easiest way to write with a music nib I would say Tape the paper to a wall sit down and write on it with you pen exacty perpendicular to the wall I have a music style broad nib based on a lamy broad but it squeeks when written on that 90 degree angle

Not all Music nibs are like that though.

#Nope

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I would follow up on this thread . . . after more research and much deliberation, I finally bought a Platinum 3776 with music nib. I'm very happy with it, although I'm still learning to use it to its best advantage. The nib is much broader than I expected (and much broader than the Sailor music I tried initially, which got me interested in music nibs in the first place), so I find I can't sketch with much detail, which is often a good thing (it makes my lines a bit looser), but sometimes I forget, and I'm frustrated when I can't get the detail I want. Here are a couple of recent sketches I did with it.

post-95699-0-20790400-1420074214_thumb.jpg

post-95699-0-56981200-1420074264_thumb.jpg

But guess what? As much as I like the Platinum, I still can't forget the Sailor music nib I borrowed, because it writes so differently. I may end up having the "sweet spot" problems that others have described, but I couldn't resist -- I just ordered a 1911 Profit Standard with music nib! Will update this thread when I've had a chance to use it.

Looking at Icywolfe's sample is really strange since I have the same nib in my Custom 74 I bought last week but has way more live variation.

I would recommend you contact Taizo Okagaki at Engeika. I'm not sure which of these tags would bring him up on the internet but I cannot endorse too strongly. He is unfailingly honest and fair.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I thought I would follow up on this thread . . . after more research and much deliberation, I finally bought a Platinum 3776 with music nib. I'm very happy with it, although I'm still learning to use it to its best advantage. The nib is much broader than I expected (and much broader than the Sailor music I tried initially, which got me interested in music nibs in the first place), so I find I can't sketch with much detail, which is often a good thing (it makes my lines a bit looser), but sometimes I forget, and I'm frustrated when I can't get the detail I want. Here are a couple of recent sketches I did with it.

attachicon.gif12-13-14 City Cantabile Choir performing at University Christian Church.jpg

attachicon.gif12-27-14 Terror Bird at Burke Museum.jpg

But guess what? As much as I like the Platinum, I still can't forget the Sailor music nib I borrowed, because it writes so differently. I may end up having the "sweet spot" problems that others have described, but I couldn't resist -- I just ordered a 1911 Profit Standard with music nib! Will update this thread when I've had a chance to use it.

Nice drawings, nice follow up, thanks :)

Look forward to hearing the 3776/sailor comparison in due course.

I just came across your post. I've used a Pilot 3776 with a music nib for sketching and finished work for a year. It is wet, but since I'm drawing and not writing it is perfect. Recently I've had problems ordering from Japan. I don't know what is going on but if you can afford it, it would be safer to order domestically.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I just came across your post. I've used a Pilot 3776 with a music nib for sketching and finished work for a year. It is wet, but since I'm drawing and not writing it is perfect. Recently I've had problems ordering from Japan. I don't know what is going on but if you can afford it, it would be safer to order domestically.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your music nib. I am, too. Took me a while to get used to that fat, wet nib, but now I like it, especially for loose drawings. Sorry to hear about your problems ordering. Which sites/vendors are a problem? I recently ordered from Rakuten (Bunkidou) with no problem at all, and the service was faster than many U.S. sites. I put in an order at Engeika about a week ago, and it is taking a surprisingly long time just to communicate back and forth, but I'm allowing for the holidays that fell during that period. So far it seems to be going well -- I think we just have different expectations in the U.S. about everything happening immediately. But I'll let you know for sure after my pen arrives!

The music nib on the Century 3776 is highly regarded.

Also you can get it for bout $156 + $12-15 shipping directly from Japan: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/pnbm-20000/

Or about $90 shipped if you didn't want the music nib. (I've bought two of my Century 3776's from the Bunkidou seller on there).

Also in regards to the comment "For a pen with a gold nib", I can get a Platinum PTL-5000 with a 14K nib for $50 or less, or a vintage pen with a 14K nib for low as $15-20. All three of my Pilot Elites with 18K Nibs were under $50. The Platinum PTL-10000 I got with an 18K Medium was less than $60.

PS: You can also get the Pilot 14K Music nib on a Custom 74 for about $95 shipped.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkk-12sr/

Edit: A video review of the Platinum Music Nib.

Does Platinum sell nibs seperately or must they be ordered as a complete pen? I.e., can the music nib be purchased by itself and swapped onto another 3776?

thanks, Rob

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Another question about music nibs: Does anyone know the difference between the ordinary music nib and the "Special Bold Music" in this Pilot Custom 74:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkk-12sr/

I sent an inquiry to Bunkidou but have not yet received a response. Given the cryptic copy on that page, I'm not sure a response would be enlightening! :P I like that price, though.

Looking at Icywolfe's sample is really strange since I have the same nib in my Custom 74 I bought last week but has way more live variation.

It does for a curvy cursive and not print.

#Nope