The Nib Just Broke On My Vintage Pen!

TXKat

Okay, so it's partly my own fault, but...

...two years ago at the Dallas Pen Show, I purchased this beautiful little Majestic vest pen? I call it a vest pen as it's small. I did not take reading glasses along with me at that time and my eye sight wasn't perfect. So, I took the pen on good fait that all was well. (Perhaps the seller's eye sight was as bad as mine!)

Long story short, I went to clean/use the pen for the first time tonight (don't start with me as this is the third tiny pen I had acquired) and I decided to look and see if the nib had any flex. I started to gently press the nib on my nail and suddenly, I felt it give! I had barely even touched it to the nail at this point! Horror upon horrors, I got out the magnifying glass and looked. There was a definite break line across the base of the nib, right before the collar. Ugh!!! You can see it in the photo. It has since broken completely when I gently put it back down on the feed.

I decided to clean the pen to see if the vue window would become clear and it pretty much has, but I noticed the underside of the original nib was quite corroded. I have read in the small amount of info I could find, that these nibs were just average at best. Thus I must ask...can replacement nibs be found? And, if not, what size nib would work as a replacement? The nib (unless I can get the tiny part still sticking out of the collar out) doesn't tell what the nib is made of. I'm guessing steal as the color is silver (with gold in the groves up front).

Any help on this would be fabulous!! It would also make me feel better, lol!

Here are some photos. It's a beautiful little pen!! (The clip is different than all the photos I've seen thus far, so no clue on age.)

post-76436-0-90377400-1416451789.jpg

post-76436-0-24488700-1416451795.jpg

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TXKat

• mhguda

• KBeezie

• Daddy-O

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nibs.com

Check out these before and afters.

http://www.nibs.com/beforeandafter.htm

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nib%20Folder/Planewreck%20Folder/Nib.%20E.%20No.%208.%20St.%20Louis%20Before.JPG

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nib%20Folder/Planewreck%20Folder/Nib.%20E.%20No.%208.%20St.%20Louis%20After.JPG

Yours appears straight thru at the base, may be some significant hope yet. (yours might just be gold plated steel if it corroded).

Edited by KBeezie

A steel nib would be much harder to repair. I don't know if it can be done - and the cost VS value thing kicks in too. Even flex steel nibs don't have a lot of value. Finding a nib could be interesting, but something would fit even if not marked Majestic, and it might be 14K.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I might have one that I could send you. What are the dimensions of the pen? I have some that are size 4, they are German nibs. Most of them. They seem small enough to fit your pen. PM me if you want to try it.

I was just given these nibs by a friend, to play with, which I haven't yet done, so I don't know if they flex, and I think they might at most be springy. I've used nibs similar to them, and one was pretty flexible, the other a pure nail.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

As for getting nib measurements, how do I remove the tiny part still in the pen???? I don't want to damage the feed and I don't know how the nib/feed section for this pen comes out? Also...the pen is in working condition. Well, sans nib, so will I need to have the sac redone if I take the feed/nib out???

Sorry, not sure what the sac attaches to, so not sure you can remove one without damaging the other. (Lever filler pen.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all for the responses!

Note: The nib broke right across the score design on the nib. You can see the line on the bottom under the 'Iridium Tipped' and this is where it broke.

Edited by TXKat

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I have one that looks similar to yours, and I'm pretty sure the nib and feed are friction-fit.

That would mean soaking first and cleaning thoroughly, so that any solidified ink particles around the feed would be gone (dissolved).

Use water with a little dish detergent. Many changes and fill and expel. And then gripping the nib and feed in one hand and pulling straight out.

In this case I guess that would be just the feed, did the nib break off completely along the line?

Regarding the sac - I have no knowledge, I'm afraid, but there are many posts with pointers as to how it's done. From what I understand the sac is not attached to the feed and so the two repairs would be separate. (I did once change the nib on my Majestic).

Would the nib be a number 4?

Until I can get the remaining portion of the nib out of the collar, I don't know if the nib is a 4 or not. The nib is hidden from just below the 'Made in U.S.A.' down. Once I've soaked and removed the feed/nib portion, I will check in again.

Yes, the nib broke off completely at the lower decorative line shown in the photo. I've about a 1/8" or less piece sticking out of the color.

Glad to hear the sac isn't attached!!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Hmm

I would pull the section and knock the feed out from the back on a knock out block.

This would require removing the sac to gain access to the back of the section/feed, and later installing a new sac.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I favor giving it little twists back and forth to straight pulling.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

TXKat get measurements of the nib, length/width/etc. May be easier to find a generic or similar one to replace with.

Okay, got the nib and section out after a few days of soaking. That did a couple of things.

1. Showed me that the nib was complete corroded on the underside to where the tail (skinny part) of the nib has holes in it!!

2. It allowed me to take a q-tip with cleaner on it and get the vue window pretty clean. Some orange ink residue...yuck!

The nib length is roughly (due to part of it missing, lol) an inch and the skinny part is 3/16" wide. Not sure what other measurements I need to find a nib that will fit. If I try to put a nib in that's too big, will it damage my pen?? Feed is perfect.

Mhguda is kindly sending me a nib to try, but if it doesn't work, I don't know what to look for. Anyone had to do this?? Insight would be much appreciated.

post-76436-0-73903100-1417216227_thumb.jpg

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Wow, that is some serious damage. They had some nerve calling that in good shape. Not strange it broke!

I think you're in luck - your measurements are roughly what I'd estimate my nibs' to be.

If it is too long try pushing it farther in - I do not think you could do much damage, as long as you don't try to force anything - that is, if you sense resistance to the nib going further in when you push it, do NOT use a large force to overcome the resistance. But even if it protrudes a bit much over the end of the feed, that should not in itself cause too much of a problem - unless it does not clear the inside of the cap when you close the pen; so be careful when capping the pen, and check. Good luck!

:D :D Sweet!!!

This is good news!! I'm such a chicken to do anything as I'm always afraid I'll break something!!! If I hadn't had to PAY for the pen, lol, I'd be more willing to get inquisitive, heehee! I do like knowing how stuff works...

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I was shocked as the pen and nib looked great...before the nib came out. I can't even make out the number on the nib...under the U.S.A. part. The fact the back end was gone...with holes....shocked me!!!!!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I was shocked as the pen and nib looked great...before the nib came out. I can't even make out the number on the nib...under the U.S.A. part. The fact the back end was gone...with holes....shocked me!!!!!

Well that one round hole is normal, the rest is definitely eaten from corrosion.

Least this would be a good opportunity to soak and remove the feed (if possible) in order to get it cleaned out good, to get rid of any rust or other particulates.

Edited by KBeezie

It does seem a little on the short side though - do you have any feed of the same diameter, but longer?

Then again,this one's been in there all this time, I'm sure it will work. This is the complete feed, right?

I don't think I've ever seen one quite so short, it seems shorter than your nib, even.

Not that that should cause any trouble - here is a story. One of the vintage pens I got last year needed a little work and in the process the feed - broke in half. Luckily, there was enough to hold the nib in the section - it is still there, and the pen works normally...

That was an interesting link to the before and after nib repairs. I bought a lot of very nice mostly English pens recently and many of the 14 ct nibs have a slight bend downward. Not so much that they appear badly deformed but definitely noticeable and the bends are pretty uniform from pen to pen. Perhaps the previous owner 'adjusted' many of the the nibs to suit his/her writing style?