Which Feed For 100N?

Bringiton

Hi all,

I have a nib for the 100n but am missing a feed. Can anyone tell me which modern feed would fit the vintage 100n? Or where I could find a vintage 100n feed.

Thanks.

Edited by Bringiton

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bringiton

• Bo Bo Olson

• sargetalon

• MarcoA63

Hi,

The more common feeder on the 100N has 3 longitudinal fins, although very (very) late models may sport the 4 finned version and a cheveron nib.

3 finned feeders are hard to come by as spare parts...

A feeder from the 400 (the 4 fins one) will fit.

You will need the correct 100N collar though.

fpn_1416419676__100n_nib_unit.jpg

Name on image for due credit purpose only.

As pmn stated, the collar will be more important than the feed.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I doubt it. The 100-100n don't fit the later '50's and later 400's. I don't know but would think they would use the same feed they now use, because it would be uneconomical to tool-make for a limited edition pen.

Rick Propas at Penquin or Penboard.de would have such a feed.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What about the feed and collar from a modern m101n, will that feed fit the 100n?

No, just so you have a clear answer. Collar is different.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

risingsun is spot on. It's wholly different. The modern collars won't work.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Buy a feed and collar from Rick or Penboard de. No need to buy a new pen. It would have to be different enough to matter from your old one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is correct, I do not sell parts and right now I am not accepting repairs But if you a e willing to be patient I should be able to mate your nib with a 400 feed which is more easily obtained and a 100N collar to get a workable assembly. I would suggest contacting me in March unless you can find someone like Ron Zorn to do the work for you

I thought Rick doesnt sell parts? I'll flick them an email and see what happens. Thanks

That is correct, I do not sell parts and right now I am not accepting repairs But if you a e willing to be patient I should be able to mate your nib with a 400 feed which is more easily obtained and a 100N collar to get a workable assembly. I would suggest contacting me in March unless you can find someone like Ron Zorn to do the work for you

Many thanks for the offer Rick. I shall pen that down in my diary.

• 8 years later...

This topic is very old but still interesting in 2022, at least to me. I have a Pelikan 100N with a 4 fin feed. The pen is post war so I'm trying to understand if it was manufactured like this or it is mounting a replacement nib. The nib has a 3 line imprint: Pelikan 585 14 karat.

The pen is green marbled pen with 'plastic' seal

Thank you

Pennino.jpeg

Alimentatore.jpeg

Stantuffo.jpeg

Hello @MarcoA63,

AFAIK, there existed 100N with 4 fin-feed, and it is not so rare.

I think your pen has an original feed.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/358957-dating-pelikan-fountain-pen/?do=findComment&comment=4474036

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

I have... three (IIRC) post-WWII 100N that have a four fin feed (this out of 11 or so). So, not that rare or even uncommon, 100N were made until 1954 so might just be the result of Pelikan aligning production of the feeds to the version that the 400-series pens used.

My post war 100n and Ibis have three combs.....but think Mana is right, sooner or later they would have run out of three comb feeds and put on a 4 comb feed, by 1954.

I hadn't known about the 4 comb version...so won't freak out and scream Franki, should I ever run into one.

On 11/19/2014 at 7:01 PM, pmn said:

A feeder from the 400 (the 4 fins one) will fit.

You will need the correct 100N collar though.

Any collar for a vintage 100N would fit. The pre-WW2 100N collars are ocasionaly available on eBay.

3E51C1BE-6399-426B-B4F7-FA8CD9057D61.jpeg.b7b6b9e09c51e271373b59db1d497d3c.jpeg

(a post WW2 4-fin feed fitted to a pre WW2 100N collar).

Collars for modern M101N wouldn’t work, AFAIK.

On 11/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, mana said:

So, not that rare or even uncommon, 100N were made until 1954 so might just be the result of Pelikan aligning production of the feeds to the version that the 400-series pens used.

The 4-fin feeds were engineered as technical improvement (better ink flow control, additional compensation chambers), possibly to also address air travel demands. Upon their introduction 3-fin feeds became obsolete and weren’t produced anymore, except for spare parts perhaps. They have the same diameter as 3-fin feeds and accomodate all variations of 100N/400 nibs, including the pre-war ones. Those feeds have been machined from the common ebonite template-sticks and the back-end lenght eventually trimmed for a particular model. For a period between 1950 and 1953, 100N, 400, 300 and 140 had practically identical feeds. Even later feeds for post 1953 model 400, 400N & 400NN (possibly also 140?) up to 1965 would still fit and function in a vintage 100N.

In my pre-WW2 101N (which is technically the same pen as 100N) I replaced the 3-fin feed for a 4-fin one on purpose, because it gave more accurate ink flow control, resulting in a somewhat drier nib. I understand this is not a purist approach, yet it gave great results with this particular pen.

187DA1DD-15FA-4867-B229-BCCE3A5CC95A.jpeg.085249709213eb4d7190746f07f3f59c.jpeg

Excuse my plug for a most helpful and attentive supplier; but anyone looking for feeds and collars for 100/400 pens  may find them care of protopens.com.  Well...he definitely sells feeds for 400s -- I <think> he has them for 100s, too; but certainly collars for both models.  Dragan is the proprietor -- an engineer and he knows what he's doing.

I hope this may prove helpful to someone.