Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Blue - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Monteverde Horizon Blue.

This is Monteverde's Parker Penman Sapphire workalike. It is similar to Diamine Blue Velvet and Visconti Blue. I recently purchased a full bottle of Blue Velvet, so I may have to do a faceoff between the two.

The Sheaffer Prelude used in this sample has a wet nib.

Maybe face-off of all three! (If you have Visconti Blue.)

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• TheRealScubaSteve

• lgsoltek

Maybe face-off of all three! (If you have Visconti Blue.)

I have a small bit of a Goulet sample of Visconti Blue. Maybe enough for a converter fill, but definitely enough to do an ink evaluation between all three.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I like the Sapphire and the Horizon. Have you tried the Documental Blue?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I like the Sapphire and the Horizon. Have you tried the Documental Blue?

Sapphire and Horizon are my favorites too. If I could have only one of the inks, it would be Sapphire for sure.

I have not tried the Documental Blue. I have four Monteverde blues on hand - Malibu, Horizon, Sapphire and Capri. There is also a turquoise (Caribbean Blue) that I am missing, and a Blue-Black.

The samples I'm posting here are first impressions. I can't decide if I want to do individual reviews in Ink Reviews, or an omnibus comparison in the Ink Comparisons forum.

• 1 month later...

Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue.

I very much like this blue. It's not a "pure" blue, but it starts with a pure blue as its base and adds a bit of green. The swab shows some red sheen.

That said, the three Blackstone inks I have tried so far all flow like a firehose in just about any pen I put them in. I've also noticed the ink forms bubbles in the bottle, that are so strong they don't pop even when I stab them with the nib! I plan to start diluting the Blackstone inks to see if I can make them flow a little less effusively.

fpn_1491786578__blackstone_barrier_reef_

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Sailor Yuki-Akari.

This is the only Sailor ink of the four I've tried that has left me wanting. I like the bright sky blue hue, but it's kind of washed out. The hue is the same as my vintage Sheaffer Skrip Peacock, but the Skrip puts down a bolder line on the page.

I think it may not work well with the Clairefontaine paper in this sample, because I have seen it perform better on other papers. I plan to experiment with this ink some more.

fpn_1491787791__sailor_yuki_akari.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

You have been busy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I bought an 11-pack of Jinhao 599 pens - the Lamy Safari knockoffs. Only one of the batch had a bum nib; the rest are in service for ink testing, and weird inks I wouldn't put in other pens. I may even buy a bottle of BSB now.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_120.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_115.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_116.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_117.jpg

Have you tried Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa and Noodler's Manhattan Blue? I just got a hold of them, and they're fairly interesting.

TK didn't make my eyes bulge out. Manhattan Blue or Blue Manhattan as I believe it is now named is one of my favorites.

I really like Tsuyu-kusa, especially after it's been in the pen awhile..

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_051.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_052.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/04-April/slides/2017-04-10_Ink_053.jpg

• 1 month later...

While I love Bay State Blue, a 90 Years of Meisterstück 146 with a broad nib doesn't like it. Stops when I pick up the pen the next morning.

J. Herbin Éclat de Saphir seems the brightest and most vibrant, followed by Montblanc Royal Blue.

My149 with O3B nib, a Pelikan M800 with stock Broad Italic nib, and a Pelikan M800 with medium nib tolerate BSB just fine, as did a 146 that I wish I hadn't sold. C'est la vie.

http://www.ALuckyLifeBook.com

http://www.bobsoltys.com

An Easterner had a nervous breakdown. Wyoming, with its wide open spaces and healthy pursuits, was prescribed as a cure - Clive Sinclair (paraphr).

I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog. - Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Thank you for sharing!

A newish blue (purple-leaning), the lovely Monteverde Charoite. I understand the gemstone it is named after is more purple, but the ink looks pretty blue to me.

34691966713_37e3cd6487_c.jpg

Most definitely a BLURPLE. Very pretty, indeed. I am really enjoying your color swatches!

Wow! This is lapis lazuli - at least in my eyes! I have the strong impression that I'll have to try Monteverde inks... such a lush and honest dark blue without being boring...