Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Blue - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

Are the top two - both Waterman Mysterious Blue - the old and new versions? Or ... ? And the Mysterious Blue a few more lines down looks almost halfway between the top two ...

(I think all of them are attractive.)

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I think (but don't remember because that was 2012) that I only had a sample of WMB and that you are seeing the same ink in two different pens.

Thanks! It's amazing how different they look. (I am not sure but I think that in 2012 the current version was not out yet.)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• TheRealScubaSteve

• lgsoltek

On 7/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, PithyProlix said:

Thanks! It's amazing how different they look. (I am not sure but I think that in 2012 the current version was not out yet.)

LOL!

Now that I look at it, I think the first sample is where I dipped my pen to get it started.  As you may imagine, it is really dry out here and fountain pens can dry out quickly.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 7/11/2021 at 10:26 PM, samasry said:

Welcome back @amberleadavis   Glad to hear of your great recovery. I am a survivor of same myself,  couple of decades ago or so. We can and shall   overcome :)

Glad to see another survivor - I believe that your trials helped my situation be overcome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Glad to see another survivor - I believe that your trials helped my situation be overcome.

Welcome back  to your family and friends  and take good care.  

Best of luck

On 4/30/2021 at 3:34 PM, amberleadavis said:

large.PXL_20210216_180730228.jpg.d992e6eef37ce88b64e7402f7fd124fa.jpg

I'm sure I've shown this before, but I posted it in another thread and thought that I should post it here too since it is all blue.

Just saw this.

Love it, Amber! classic....

On 7/11/2021 at 10:44 PM, samasry said:

I have decided to move this post to here:

Diamine Sargasso Sea and Diamine Bilberry are both super saturated and great for mixing.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, TSherbs said:

Just saw this.

Love it, Amber! classic....

Thank you!

Diamine Festive Cheer

Blue Edition Inkvent Calendar

20210803-FestiveCheer_001.thumb.jpg.f2888d14b781825b3050e4605bfe411a.jpg

What you can't see is the wonderful red sheen.

• 5 weeks later...

Private Reserve Black Magic Blue.  I don't see any black magic here, but I do see a nice blurple.  It does, however, feather somewhat on my Fabriano EcoQua notebook and it is a wet ink - it makes my Lamy 2000 with F nib write like a paintbrush.   This is an ink sample of recent production, post-Yafa buyout of the brand.

pr_black_magic_blue.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OH my, I don't see that I have ever swabbed my old Black Magic blue.  Thank you for sharing this!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't use Blue, (well one pen with Salix for obligations!) but I did purchase a few bottles on the way to figuring this out. Recent quest has been for a Blue-Violet, but that led me to trawling through the old collection. The first image is focussed, the second includes the Kitchen Sink . . . AND Rachel Carson Silent Spring, which I was very happy to rediscover!

Blue Violets.jpg

Big surprise here was that, on Midori paper at least, Oster's Summer Storm is a tad more violet than Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata! Blue Myosotis I have found ages towards violet after several days, but this is probably paper dependent?

The Blues.jpg

Notes:

Diamine China Blue - a single dye ink, I think?
Bleu Myosotis - see above.

Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata - is just on the edge of violet, depending on paper, but the scanner doesn't like purple so reduces it to grey.
Oster Summer Storm - confirmed (again!) as a favorite ink! On the official swatches it gets filed under "Grey", but it's more violet than the Manyo (apart from on Tomoe River!).

5 Birmingham Blues:

Celestial I hoped would be my "Sherlock Holmes".

Justice and Navy both go down Purple, but dry Blue, which is a shame for me as the purples are lovely! A lot of pink comes out if you add water, but again this scanner doesn't catch that. Oh, Rachel Carson Silent Spring is a stunner, and the Ferris Wheel is rather a nice industrial turquoise?

Verdigris is cool, but was always too dark for me.

I could live with just two; Rachel's Silence and one from either Kakitsubata or Summer Storm.
Soit.

11 hours ago, pgcauk said:

I don't use Blue, (well one pen with Salix for obligations!) but I did purchase a few bottles on the way to figuring this out. Recent quest has been for a Blue-Violet, but that led me to trawling through the old collection. The first image is focussed, the second includes the Kitchen Sink . . . AND Rachel Carson Silent Spring, which I was very happy to rediscover!

Blue Violets.jpg

Big surprise here was that, on Midori paper at least, Oster's Summer Storm is a tad more violet than Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata! Blue Myosotis I have found ages towards violet after several days, but this is probably paper dependent?

The Blues.jpg

Notes:

Diamine China Blue - a single dye ink, I think?
Bleu Myosotis - see above.

Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata - is just on the edge of violet, depending on paper, but the scanner doesn't like purple so reduces it to grey.
Oster Summer Storm - confirmed (again!) as a favorite ink! On the official swatches it gets filed under "Grey", but it's more violet than the Manyo (apart from on Tomoe River!).

5 Birmingham Blues:

Celestial I hoped would be my "Sherlock Holmes".

Justice and Navy both go down Purple, but dry Blue, which is a shame for me as the purples are lovely! A lot of pink comes out if you add water, but again this scanner doesn't catch that. Oh, Rachel Carson Silent Spring is a stunner, and the Ferris Wheel is rather a nice industrial turquoise?

Verdigris is cool, but was always too dark for me.

I could live with just two; Rachel's Silence and one from either Kakitsubata or Summer Storm.
Soit.

🌦️😘

May I ask, in the 2nd scan, which ink(s?) are the texts "Every paper is ..." and "BOTH Justice and ..." written with?

I am semi-fascinated by how people decide 'blue' or 'violet' when they perceive a color in between them. I have none of these inks (yet), except for Salix, so I can only rely on what the light from my monitor contacting my retina tells my brain but, to me, Kakitsubata, Summer Storm, and the Birmingham Justice register much more as violet than blue, with Myosotis splitting the difference between the two.

And it's hard for me to imagine Summer Storm being classified as a grey but I can sort of understand it.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

5 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

May I ask, in the 2nd scan, which ink(s?) are the texts "Every paper is ..." and "BOTH Justice and ..." written with?

Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata.

I have a sample only but was smitten enough to load it into my old Waterman (= the first pen that became available).

I agree with your assessment, the Justice is glorious when wet but close to boring when dry. The Kakitsubata and Summer Storm are both lovely, but I think I prefer the Summer Storm and I have a well used but half-full bottle of that already, so to upgrade Kakitsubata from sample to bottle is tempting but hard to justify.

Oh, and then there's Soft Snow of Ohara!

Edit: Worthy of note though is I just washed Summer Storm out of a pen because it was looking "too grey", so we're in subtle enough territory that paper, nib and quality of light all factor in to the experience!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's those same four on Tomoe River. I didn't think this was so interesting initially, although the Kakitsubata is more violet ad the Summer Storm more Grey here, but when I looked back a few days later the Bleu Myosotis had  completed its color change (which takes several days, and is very close to its namesake flower) and the whole thing seemed much more interesting?
Again, the surrounding writing is Kakitsubata in one of my drier pens.

4 Blue Violets Oct 21.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 2:06 AM, amberleadavis said:

Diamine Sargasso Sea and Diamine Bilberry are both super saturated and great for mixing.

They are in fact.

Both of them are perfect for mixing with Royal blue (which was one of the requests from samasry).

They both make Royal blue slightly more saturated, only a small amount is needed (my mix with Bilberry is 9 parts to 1, and with Sargasso 4 parts to 1) therefore using up excess Royal blue..., keeping costs down, improving on the typical fading characteristic of Royal blue, but maintaining practically the same reliable behaviour. Obviously when mixed in such dilutions they mostly lose their sheen.

• 3 weeks later...

Birmingham Pen Company

Tesla Coil

Ultramarine

Galactic Twinkle

Sailor Jentle Blue-Black

and a Mix of Winter Miracle and Bungubox 4B

PXL_20220206_234043601.MP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

large.1888975503_FourblueinksIcannotbebotheredreviewingnow20220216.jpg.4cc8d4ccd20449780eed2694edbfa3dd.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.1888975503_FourblueinksIcannotbebotheredreviewingnow20220216.jpg.4cc8d4ccd20449780eed2694edbfa3dd.jpg

Thank you for this, it is AWESOME.

• 1 month later...

@amberleadavisThis is the blue thread, right?  The most recent post seems to be from 2014!  I know many of us have posted about blues since then.  Would you please move this to a more appropriate site if I'm in the wrong place?

Lamy Blue, Sugarcane Paper, Conway Stewart M semi-flex:

IMG_1386.JPG

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 2/15/2022 at 10:02 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I just saw this - this is fabulous!  It shows me why I have a penchant for the Visconti, and also why my recent experiments with Waterman may lead to a purchase of a bottle as I am a bit wary of putting the Visconti in my vintage Conway Stewart without knowing the pH (though I do have some litmus paper somewhere... perhaps I should find it tonight while it's on my mind).

Thank you, Smug.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence