Oliver F27:an Adieu To Flamboyance Par Excellence

mrmohitmishra

wpid-20141117_155923.jpg?w=1008

For me Fountain Pen is a stamp of one's personality. It speaks of one's moods, character, choices, style and his inner self. Like eyes, it is a sort of window to one's intellectual soul. That is why I love using them. It sets me apart in an age of mass production. It is my attempt to keep my individuality intact.

So,when I hear that a pen, especially a good one, will no longer be produced, I feel a personal loss. I feel as if a part of my past will no longer be available for me to access and touch. A minority complex pervades my world and I feel all more alone in a world which no longer understands me.

I am holding this Oliver F 27 and feeling this nostalgia and a kind of gloom. I liked this pen. But they say that the company has stopped producing them. The only place one can get them is on ASApens and they will never get restocked. They are the last of their kind. On the site, this pen is the most reviewed pen. One reviewer Anup ji went to the extent of claiming this pen to be the 'perfect pen'. Their claim is not without a reason.

It was one of the premium pen produced by the Oliver company. It is made of best acrylic available and contains a Schmidt Medium nib. Nowadays, it is impossible to get a pen holding this nib made of such quality in Rs. 750/- I paid. The nib alone costs 400-450/- Rs(8 $ approx.)

wpid-20141117_155823.jpg?w=1008

The pen is beauty to behold. It is made of such glittering, flamboyant( but not gaudy) colors that one can fall in love with it.The marbled acrylics reflect and refract light like a crystal. It instantaneously catches the attention of those around. It is not a normal looking formal feeling fountain pen. It exuberates joy and life. The fluorescent green I ordered looks even more pretty and classy than in pictures. The clip, the nib and the rings are all made of steel and they add to looks of this pen. Needless to say that a lot of thought and hard work has gone in its design which makes its demise all the more unfortunate.
wpid-20141117_155950-e1416223019741.jpg?

The pen is balanced. I found it more pleasurable to write with the cap unposted. It uses standard international cartridge and converter.

wpid-20141117_155843.jpg?w=1008

The only thing I didn't like was the nib. In fact it is a superb nib. It is extremely smooth and never skips or gives any trouble. Problem is that I am not a big fan of Medium nibs. They write on the broader side of medium and the line is too wet. On normal JK paper we use, there are chances that the impression of the words may show on back.

So I talked to Mr. Subramanium of ASApens . He advised me to use a thicker ink and that solved the problem!!! I used Lamy since I did not have Pelikan ink. Now, as the writing sample would show the line variation is visible and the wetness of the line has lessened. wpid-20141117_1609351.jpg?w=768 wpid-20141117_160025-e1416225371770.jpg?

The service of the sellers was excellent. Complete support before and after purchase. I received this pen within 4 days of order. This is quite fast when we understand that the pen was shipped from Chennai all the way to Faridabad.

Overall, a pen that they should continue to produce. Its lively, impressive and colourful. A balanced and smooth writer.A high quality writing instrument. A prized possession. Flamboyance par excellence.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrmohitmishra

• a_m

• Aramchek

• cjpandya

It is a pity it is only available with M nib. With my handwriting a typical F is too wide.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Nice review. You have hit the absolutely right expression "Flamboyance Par Excellence". This is what this FP is - both in appearance and writing.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

It is a pity it is only available with M nib. With my handwriting a typical F is too wide.

I agree. Even I don't find medium nibs appealing. In fact I have just stopped writing with it and have packed the pen, setting it apart for signature purpose. But even then I chose to get it because it will no longer be available and its a beautiful pen.

Nice review. You have hit the absolutely right expression "Flamboyance Par Excellence". This is what this FP is - both in appearance and writing.

Thank You Anoop ji. It is a great pleasure to be appreciated by an accomplished writer as you. I felt that this pen deserves more respect than its producers are ready to give it. I think they should fit a fine nib german or japanese unit with the pen and re launch it. Probably F28

Thank You Anoop ji. It is a great pleasure to be appreciated by an accomplished writer as you. I felt that this pen deserves more respect than its producers are ready to give it. I think they should fit a fine nib german or japanese unit with the pen and re launch it. Probably F28

You can order a fine nib schmidt with ASA in your custom pen- but the pen would be ebonite - preferably from one of their existing ebonite pen designs. Ebonite is ofcourse not as flamboyant as this acrylic.

I put my savings to test

You can order a fine nib schmidt with ASA in your custom pen- but the pen would be ebonite - preferably from one of their existing ebonite pen designs. Ebonite is ofcourse not as flamboyant as this acrylic.

I was thinking of buying the Revolution or Bramhaputra with a fine nib. After buying Athlete I am more willing to try their in house productions

I was thinking of buying the Revolution or Bramhaputra with a fine nib. After buying Athlete I am more willing to try their in house productions

Brahmaputra / Hawk is the Pen to go for. I would call it pen of substance. Brahmaputra is Hawk with JoWo nib

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

I think they should fit a fine nib german or japanese unit with the pen and re launch it. Probably F28

[silly] The F27 can apparently use a piston converter, does that mean the F28 would use a jet converter? [/silly]

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

I too read the update on ASApens about the pens (oliver F27) on sale are the last ones. The update came just after i ordered one for myself and i felt so sad and a little happy at the same time . Sad because the company will no longer be producing the pens which are so beautiful and truly signifies the Indian FP market of good quality worthy of a legacy at competitive prices.And happy because i did not wait too long to order one as it was on my wish list for quite sometime. Also it is not just these pens, upon talking with Mr. Subramanim for an inquiry, i found out that the oliver company has also stopped manufacturing their full line of the oliver exam demonstrators and only make the clear version.

I always feel a pang of melancholy to witness the slow death of the once glorious Indian FP Industry.

I too read the update on ASApens about the pens (oliver F27) on sale are the last ones. The update came just after i ordered one for myself and i felt so sad and a little happy at the same time . Sad because the company will no longer be producing the pens which are so beautiful and truly signifies the Indian FP market of good quality worthy of a legacy at competitive prices.And happy because i did not wait too long to order one as it was on my wish list for quite sometime. Also it is not just these pens, upon talking with Mr. Subramanim for an inquiry, i found out that the oliver company has also stopped manufacturing their full line of the oliver exam demonstrators and only make the clear version.

I always feel a pang of melancholy to witness the slow death of the once glorious Indian FP Industry.

Same here. :(

[silly] The F27 can apparently use a piston converter, does that mean the F28 would use a jet converter? [/silly]

Lol. Well you just gave a few people an IDEA to work upon. Lol

Lol. Well you just gave a few people an IDEA to work upon. Lol

Although the joke would have made more sense if the F27 aircraft actually did use piston engines (which is what my alleged memory claimed while I wrote the post) rather than turboprops :blush:

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

Sorry about the double post.

Edited by Aramchek

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

@mrmohtmishra: Very nice description of this wonderful pen. I bought two last year from FPN fellow member Mesu who was then just starting out as a pen seller. I was not sorry, but your post made me doubly glad - and sad for a nice pen being discontinued...

I agree about the disadvantage of the M nib, which I am thinking is very wide. I too wanted an F nib, and I ordered two Schmidt screw in F nibs - only to find that Oliver had not used the screw in part but actually glued the housing cylinder inside their section. I paid for this knowledge with continuous effort, over many days, but eventually I was able to get the nib and feed out, separately from the housing. I have substituted Bulow F nibs (from xfountainpen) with very pleasing results. The pens write much better. Since these nibs are not too expensive, I tried imparting a little stubbishness and this too has made me use them more.

And yes, they will take a standard converter, such as the Schmidt K5 converter, so that you can use whatever FP ink you want. I have one in each of mine.

Mine are purple and blue, BTW, but that green one is a beauty, too!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi