Cartridge Converter In Vanishing Point Not Filling

Fwdlib

Hello! I found my missing Vanishing Point today. I tried to write with it, but it looks like the ink dried out in the cartridge converter. I tried to clean it by filling the converter with water and emptying, but the pen will no longer fill this way. In fact, when I twist the converter to empty it, it sort of pops up. And when I try to fill it, nothing comes up. I see there's a small metal part that is loose--I can't remember if it's supposed to be loose or if it's supposed to stick to the part of the converter that twists up and down.

Right now I'm soaking both the nib unit and the cartridge converter in some water, and hoping that does the trick. Does this just need to soak for a longer time, or does it sound like something else is wrong? I think it's weird that the converter pops up--I've never had that happen before.

Also, when I tried to flush the nib unit with a bulb, it was "constipated" and the water did not go through the nib like usual.

Anyone else have something similar happen, and have suggestions for making this pen be able to fill again?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fwdlib

• Tasmith

• KBeezie

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

I would soak the nib unit, and converter separately.

For really stubborn clogs, something like a 1:5 or 1:10 dilution of Ammonia and water (maybe with a couple drops of clear dish soap added), let that soak for a couple hours, then try to flush it, if still no go, continue soaking it.

What was it inked with before if you remember?

Also for future reference, don't try to "force" a clogged pen, not sure what exactly the pop was, but you could have knocked the feed loose of the nib unit casing. Also you *might* be able to remove the nib using a little scotch tape to help pull it forward off the feed after it's been soaking for a while, so that you can help clear out the feed without the nib blocking the channels.

Worst case scenario. $30 or $40 for a Ultrasonic cleaner (like the one I have with the 3 power settings, again, clean items separately as possible) which basically breaks down solid particulates that may be clogged up, but you're going to want the converter and nib off of it before doing it, or the trapped solids won't have anywhere to go.

Edited by KBeezie

Worst case scenario. $30 or $40 for a Ultrasonic cleaner (like the one I have with the 3 power settings, again, clean items separately as possible) which basically breaks down solid particulates that may be clogged up, but you're going to want the converter and nib off of it before doing it, or the trapped solids won't have anywhere to go.

Where did you get an Ultrasonic cleaner for $30 or $40?

Walmart Jewelry Department

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I would soak the nib unit, and converter separately.

For really stubborn clogs, something like a 1:5 or 1:10 dilution of Ammonia and water (maybe with a couple drops of clear dish soap added), let that soak for a couple hours, then try to flush it, if still no go, continue soaking it.

What was it inked with before if you remember?

Also for future reference, don't try to "force" a clogged pen, not sure what exactly the pop was, but you could have knocked the feed loose of the nib unit casing. Also you *might* be able to remove the nib using a little scotch tape to help pull it forward off the feed after it's been soaking for a while, so that you can help clear out the feed without the nib blocking the channels.

Is it okay to soak the VP nib unit in the ammonia solution--won't hurt the gold?

I believe it was inked with Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, and it may have been sitting in it for 3-4 months. I know, it's bad, and I've learned my lesson--just wish it was on a different, less valuable pen!

Where did you get an Ultrasonic cleaner for $30 or $40?

Ebay, an Ivation IVUC96S 3 power settings (low, norm, high), and 5 timer settings (90 sec to 480, but can be turned off/on manually).

You can get them for cheap as $10, but they're some weird chinese looking one.

Link to the one I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181529001713

Is it okay to soak the VP nib unit in the ammonia solution--won't hurt the gold?

I believe it was inked with Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, and it may have been sitting in it for 3-4 months. I know, it's bad, and I've learned my lesson--just wish it was on a different, less valuable pen!

It's a pretty common remedy for clogged pens, just make sure you rinse it thru with some clean normal water afterwards. And it's not like you're soaking it in pure ammonia (hence the 1:5 or 1:10 dilution). Won't harm the unit, it may discolor some plastics if left in for days (but usually overnight is the longest you'd do), but you never see the feed or the unit when installed. Usually faster doing diluted ammonia with an ultra-sonic cleaner, can even put it on a low power setting if you want it to soak for a little while.

But far as the USC goes, it's important to wash each piece separately, and obviously don't go sticking the whole pen in there. (Should be some threads here on FPN regarding some tips for both USC as well as ammonia baths, probably in the Repair sub-forum).

PS: No it won't hurt the gold, gold doesn't corrode or stain, the gold is probably the safest thing to put in that. Certain plastics, rubbers, or celluloids may vary (but the plastic feed on the nib unit should be fine if you're not soaking it for days and days) Also Ammonia is an alkaline just like many japanese inks (though most japanese inks are not as strong an alkaline as ammonia, hence the need for dilution).

Edit:

This took about 5 days of soaking before I was finally able to get all the pieces apart and the feed removed from the pen. Alternating between a clean soak and an ammonia soak. It was about the same time I used my refund on the pen to buy the ultrasonic cleaner. (was sold as working and clean, but was clogged with something like gum arabic or something, like someone used india ink). I got it to this point by the time the USC came, and cleaned each of the pieces separately (any plated materials was at low power), after the feed has soaked for a while longer, I then popped it into the USC and watched the junk smoke away (as you noticed in the pic even after 5 days it still had stuff clogged in it, only after getting it out of the pen did the crud have some place to go).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_diassembled.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Walmart Jewelry Department

Thanks PAKMAN!

Ebay, an Ivation IVUC96S 3 power settings (low, norm, high), and 5 timer settings (90 sec to 480, but can be turned off/on manually).

You can get them for cheap as $10, but they're some weird chinese looking one.

Link to the one I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181529001713

Thanks KBeezie!

Thanks again to all who replied, especially KBeezie--when you said that you sometimes have soaked pens for several days, that made me more patient and adjusted my expectations for how quickly I could get the feed unclogged. And stopped me from mildly panicking that I'd ruined this expensive pen (I have the raden model). After soaking it in water overnight, and then flushing with diluted ammonia solution, and then cleaning with water again, I'm happy to report that my VP is now working as well as it was before. Seems wetter now--maybe because of the ammonia solution?

Fwdlib, glad to hear the problem was resolved!

You might want to consider getting a bottle of JB Pen Flush; stuff works wonders and can be used repeatedly until the solution gets so dark that it is opaque.

Worst came to worse, its not too hard to get a new nib unit for the VP. Not the cheapest thing in the world, but also readily available. Goulet sell them with a twist converter for $61 just in case. I actually have extra units for some of my VP; let's me switch the pen between M and F depending on what I intend to use the pen for. Switching doesn't even require cleaning out ink as the converter, feed, and nib comprise an integrated unit that slides out of the pen.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Or, for just a little more, get a custom-ground stub from richardspens.com or nibs.com, and swap it in whenever you like.

Glad you got it sorted.

And those raden pens are pretty.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts